Ayrton Senna film mentioned by Clarkson, where is it?

Zoeff

Car(s)
Suzuki Swift GLS with 1000 horsep..I mean CC's.
At the end of clarkson's own tribute, he mentioned a film about senna that we all should watch. Does anyone actually know the name and has it been released yet?

I talked a bit about it in this post:

No don't be. I enjoyed the Top Gear segment as much as I did the movie. Which is amazing considering it was a small segment vs. a full length feature film. Top Gear had hero's like Hamilton, Hakkinen, and Schumacher testifying to his greatness which carried a lot of weight. The movie didn't play up his greatness as much. Possibly because of Japanese humility. Though there was a eerie foreshadowing clip of Ratzenberger commenting on how Senna drove on the edge. From the day Ratzenberger was killed.
I was disappointed the movie didn't show that clip of Senna stopping his car to check on the other driver who had crashed until after the movie when the credits were rolling. To me that said a lot about him as a person.
After seeing Senna run Prost off the road in the Top Gear bit I thought it was pretty unsportsmanlike like. But after seeing the full backstory in the movie I felt like cheering when it was shown. You could still tell Senna was torn up about it though.
For worldwide release they'll have to do new English subtitles for all the Portuguese clips and interviews. There was a lot of focus on Suzuka but that's to be expected since it was the final race of the season back then so I don't think they'll change that. There are some clips and interviews with Japanese reporters that they might shorten or take out.
It's very much a documentary so it won't be a big box office draw outside of Japan and Brazil but if it does get a theatrical release near you I'd definitely check it out. Again, the sound of that MP4-4 was incredible and frankly makes modern F1 cars sound sterile and a little boring.

I was kinda hoping it'd be a biopic when I first heard about it (probably based around 1988-1990) But a really good documentary would be epic, it's high time we had a true testimony to the genius and the man behind the visor.

I await this with interest.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I saw the Senna documentary today as part of the Adelaide Film Festival. To sum it up in one word - WOW. But that doesn't do the film any justice at all. The producers, writers & directors totally nailed it.

I started watching F1 in 1984-5 when I was old enough to stay up late to watch the races. I was at the first Adelaide F1 race in 1985 and got to see Senna in his Black JPS Lotus tear around the streets of Adelaide and utterly dominate Qualifying. Watching the footage which traced Senna's career from karts, through to F1 was brilliant. Seeing the rivalry develop between Prost & Senna equally amazing - seeing footage from within the drivers briefings and from within the team and his family was also brilliant. Then ultimately the story got to 1994 and the San Marino Grand Prix. I've seen the footage a thousand times but the way the movie handles the whole weekend, Barichello's crash, Ratzenberger's crash, and ultimately Senna's crash and the aftermath was superbly done. I genuinely had tears welling up with Ratzenberger's crash and with Senna's crash and the funeral I had a few tears leak out - and I wasn't the only one in the packed cinema. I took along some friends - including my neighbours son who has only just turned 18 and has missed pretty much all of Senna's career first hand. We all agreed that it was probably one of the greatest sporting documentaries ever made. It was funny in parts, incredibly moving and brilliantly made and narrated by those involved with his career (and Senna himself)

If you get an opportunity to see this movie - even if you are not a F1 fan. Do it.

I would give it an easy 5 stars.

Last edited:
Just received an e-mail that the documentary is going to be screened this Thursday, March 17th at 7:15 at the Paramount Theater in Austin, Texas.

I just can't believe there's not a single copy of this flying around the internet. Them pirates disappoint me.

Don't get me wrong I'd pay to see it but I doubt very much it'll get released here in Portugal despite Senna loving this country.

It could be released in a very limited number of theaters, that's what tends to happen with docus, you really have to pay attention to listings or you'll miss it. I wouldn't be surprised if it got released here at the doclisboa festival, although that's terribly late in the year. I find it strange that Germany and the UK are still the only European countries with a release date set, considering Europe is the continent in which F1 is most popular.

Last edited:
It could be released in a very limited number of theaters, that's what tends to happen with docus, you really have to pay attention to listings or you'll miss it. I wouldn't be surprised if it got released here at the doclisboa festival, although that's terribly late in the year. I find it strange that Germany and the UK are still the only European countries with a release date set, considering Europe is the continent in which F1 is most popular.

I live in Beira Interior man and nothing ever reaches us but major releases... and I'll be damned if I have to take a loan just to pay for my fuel and tolls to Lisbon, or spend like 5 hours in an express bus with my back aching :(

Amazon UK will start taking orders soon. :)

This film is almost beyond words to describe how good it is. I was an emotional wreck during it, be it laughing, crying or being angry. It is amazing. I saw it with a non F1 fan and they were equally impressed.

I can't seem to find it on amazon uk. where did you hear this?

Im assuming that amazon uk does not ship to places other than the UK?

No they ship to the states. I remember about a year ago I picked up the Bourne trilogy on blu-ray for $25USD shipped. :)

Surprised to see nobody posted this but the UK website for the movie has been up for a week or so:
http://www.sennamovie.co.uk/

I think its one movie I wont go to the cinema to see 'cause I'll probably ball my eyes out.

the film is screening right now in Austin, TX at the SXSW festival