The Ultimate macOS Thread

I see now. I assumed anything that wasn't an official release was still called a beta.

I hope this gets resolved somehow. Chrome for the longest time was the only browser I could use that wouldn't crash under any type of Flash usage. And Firefox feels too slow compared to Chrome.

Is html5 supposed to be a "Flash killer?" If so, I'm all for it.

I believe HTML5 is intended to replace flash down the line, though that'll take a while. Apparently the standard isn't even entirely done yet?

Guys, any idea how I could go about adding a shutdown script to Transmission after all ongoing downloads complete? I don't want to leave a laptop on all night but despite some research I haven't found a script to shut down without any alerts. :S

Guys, any idea how I could go about adding a shutdown script to Transmission after all ongoing downloads complete? I don't want to leave a laptop on all night but despite some research I haven't found a script to shut down without any alerts. :S

Umm, this is a bit out of the left field, but why would you use transmission when there is uTorrent available? (that IIRC does have an option to shut down after transfers complete)

Umm, this is a bit out of the left field, but why would you use transmission when there is uTorrent available? (that IIRC does have an option to shut down after transfers complete)
uTorrent for Mac doesn't, as far as I could see. Transmission allows the user to launch a script as soon as all downloads complete so I was wondering if an auto shutdown script could be created. I found one for Linux, but I have zero knowledge of this kinda thing so I wasn't sure how to adapt it for OSX. :)

uTorrent for Mac doesn't, as far as I could see. Transmission allows the user to launch a script as soon as all downloads complete so I was wondering if an auto shutdown script could be created. I found one for Linux, but I have zero knowledge of this kinda thing so I wasn't sure how to adapt it for OSX. :)

I'll see what I can dig up when I get home. Windows at work :(

Can you post (a link to) the Linux script?

You should be able to do "sudo shutdown -h now", but any gui applications that ask for confirmation might cancel it, and unless you change your sudo settings, it will ask for your password, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

Can you set transmission to close after DLs finished and use the scheduler to have it shut down?
Would only work if you had a good idea of when DLs would finish, but that shouldn't be too hard.

As far as I read on Transmission's forum, they won't implement the shutdown function as you are supposed to seed at all time and they want to prevent leechers... Which is bullshit if you ask me.

As far as I read on Transmission's forum, they won't implement the shutdown function as you are supposed to seed at all time and they want to prevent leechers... Which is bullshit if you ask me.
Agreed - closed torrent sites with ratio systems are a better way to prevent leeching. And what happens if nobody wants what you're seeding, are you supposed to leave your computer idling just in case?

Can't seem to find anything either.
Yeah, I looked long and hard but didn't get anything, I could only get hold of one shutdown script but this one asks for confirmation when launched which is sort of useless for me.

That's the worst idea i've ever heard of! They are running Transmission with superuser (Administrative) rights to get around the password prompt when trying to shut down. You could as well post your passwords on a h4x0r forum.

doublefacepalm.jpg

Changing the sudo settings so sudo does not require a password is still quite unsafe, but not as bad as the above. Here's a sudo settings tutorial: http://aplawrence.com/Basics/sudo.html

EDIT:
The fxxing first page of google results gave me this command:
Code:
osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to shut down'

Which i can't test (as i switched to Linux) but which seems to simply activate the Finder's shutdown function via AppleScript.

My google-fu is stronger than yours combined :p

Last edited:
That's the worst idea i've ever heard of! They are running Transmission with superuser (Administrative) rights to get around the password prompt when trying to shut down. You could as well post your passwords on a h4x0r forum.

doublefacepalm.jpg

Changing the sudo settings so sudo does not require a password is still quite unsafe, but not as bad as the above. Here's a sudo settings tutorial: http://aplawrence.com/Basics/sudo.html

EDIT:
The fxxing first page of google results gave me this command:
Code:

Which i can't test (as i switched to Linux) but which seems to simply activate the Finder's shutdown function via AppleScript.

My google-fu is stronger than yours combined :p
Tried to compile that in Apple Scripter, I get this error - "Syntax Error - an unknown token can't go after this identifier".

Tried to compile that in Apple Scripter, I get this error - "Syntax Error - an unknown token can't go after this identifier".

You're doing it wrong. It's not all Apple Script code. "osascript" is a command-line tool to execute AppleScript on the fly (hence the -e[xecute] option). Open a Terminal session and paste the command in there. The "Your System will shut down in 120 seconds" dialogue box should appear.

Only the part between the single quotes is actual AppleScript code.

Last edited:
This reminds me of middle/high school... all of the computers were Mac OS X, and our student accounts were naturally limited to certain applications. But, SafariScript could get the Script Editor open, and then AppleScript could handle every other application :rolleyes:

You're doing it wrong. It's not all Apple Script code. "osascript" is a command-line tool to execute AppleScript on the fly (hence the -e[xecute] option). Open a Terminal session and paste the command in there. The "Your System will shut down in 120 seconds" dialogue box should appear.

Only the part between the single quotes is actual AppleScript code.
So if I save the bit between the quote marks (including the apostrophes) as a script and select it to run when all downloads in Transmission complete, that should shut down the computer when all downloads complete? Thank you so much for the help man!

EDIT - Compiled the script and applied the aforementioned settings, hope it works. Thanks! :wub:

Last edited:
So if I save the bit between the quote marks (including the apostrophes) as a script and select it to run when all downloads in Transmission complete, that should shut down the computer when all downloads complete? Thank you so much for the help man!

EDIT - Compiled the script and applied the aforementioned settings, hope it works. Thanks! :wub:

Have you tested the script?