Geneva 2011: Toyota FT-86 II Concept is one step closer to production

I wonder what this'll cost with the Australian inflation factor.

Regardless, I am so test-driving one of these.

I want to like this but the styling is just too busy for my taste.

And you can bet there'll be a million bodykits released for this as soon as it hits the streets, and there's bound to be one that suits the individual.

i'm happy to announce that stupid bodykits seem to have disappeared completely from the streets around here, most stop at changing wheels and suspension

For every 10,00 carbage kits, there will be one or two genuinely good-looking one.

Last edited:
There's very little information in the way of hard specs, but we'll get more of those soon enough when Subaru shows off its own version of this rear-wheel-drive sports car, which was jointly developed by the two automakers. What we do know is that the concept and future production cars will use a 2.0-liter four cylinder boxer engine mounted up front and driving the rear wheels through a manual gearbox.
HELL YES! Finally manual gearboxes and correct wheel drive have started to come back. It's only taken 35 or 40 years!

Please please please leave the alphabet soup of electronics on the other side of an 'on/off' switch I can superglue in the 'off' position. Pllleeeaasseeee!

HELL YES! Finally manual gearboxes and correct wheel drive have started to come back. It's only taken 35 or 40 years!

Please please please leave the alphabet soup of electronics on the other side of an 'on/off' switch I can superglue in the 'off' position. Pllleeeaasseeee!

According to the chief engineer they actually studied looking at dual clutch transmissions but decided against it because the goal of this car is to attract younger drivers and manuals were more preferred. As for the lack of electronics, the original concept had an ABS button meaning you could actually turn it off if you wished so its possible they may allow you to override all the electronic overlords. All the practical changes on the FT-86 Concept II were done as a result of driver testing to bring it as close to the driving experience of the AE86. Unlike before, its likely the production car will only get approval once Toyota boss Akio Toyoda can actually race it like he did with the Lexus LF-A and the IS-F.

But it will come with an automatic option right?

But it will come with an automatic option right?

I don't think Toyota has ever made a sports car for the public that didn't come with an automatic option. Whether its inferior to the manuals is another story, the last Celica GT-S for instance had an automatic but because it was a 4-speed for the high revving 2ZZ-GE engine it was actually slower than an automatic GT making the auto GT-S a bit of a laughing stock. To be honest there has been absolutely no word on the automatic, it seems all the questions asked about the car have ignored the idea of the automatic version.

I don't think Toyota has ever made a sports car for the public that didn't come with an automatic option. Whether its inferior to the manuals is another story, the last Celica GT-S for instance had an automatic but because it was a 4-speed for the high revving 2ZZ-GE engine it was actually slower than an automatic GT making the auto GT-S a bit of a laughing stock. To be honest there has been absolutely no word on the automatic, it seems all the questions asked about the car have ignored the idea of the automatic version.

The MR2 Spyder never had a proper slushbox manual; it had a clutchless manual in later years but even that didn't have an auto mode. Granted, it is now discontinued, so Toyota may be leery of offering a manual-only vehicle again.

the red line for the 2ZZ with the auto was just below 7000 rpm. and with only 4 gears, the gas mileage would of really sucked. it must of cruised well above 4000 rpm just doing the speed limit on a highway.

what i find funny is that the Corolla Xrs was never offer with an automatic. you would think Toyota would offer Corolla's performance model with an auto. it's a Corolla for God's sake.

Last edited:
I so hope this car's gonna be good, this might be the vehicle I've been looking for.

No excess fat, simple drivers car, light and compact, N/A engine. You better make it good, Toyota.

Last edited:
The MR2 Spyder never had a proper slushbox manual; it had a clutchless manual in later years but even that didn't have an auto mode. Granted, it is now discontinued, so Toyota may be leery of offering a manual-only vehicle again.
Ah thanks for reminding me. Not having the 3rd gen MR2 available here I sometimes forget.

the red line for the 2ZZ with the auto was just below 7000 rpm. and with only 4 gears, the gas mileage would of really sucked. it must of cruised well above 4000 rpm just doing the speed limit on a highway.

what i find funny is that the Corolla Xrs was never offer with an automatic. you would think Toyota would offer Corolla's performance model with an auto. it's a Corolla for God's sake.
The gas mileage...wasn't that awful but the consequence of using this engine with so few gears was it was really slow. The tip tronic was useless, yes you selected the gears but it took forever to require a change, so essentially buying an auto GT-S was stupid, if you wanted an automatic Celica the GT was frankly superior in speed, purchasing cost and running cost.

The old XRS was pretty much a 4-door Celica as it borrowed a lot from this car which isn't a bad thing. Thankfully the old XRS never used the 4-speed automatic the GT-S used. Unfortunately the new XRS has an automatic almost guaranteeing it being dubbed small Camry, while the old XRS is generally driven by the age group Toyota wanted the newer one I've seen more old people in those probably the addition of the automatic caused that. The old XRS lost the Celica genes in favour of Camry ones.

Last edited:
Huge amounts of want

xlarge_scion_fr-s_001.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_002.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_003.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_004.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_005.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_006.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_007.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_008.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_009.jpg

xlarge_scion_fr-s_010.jpg