Earthquake/Tsunami Thread - FG Members Check In.

Central Europe? That is quite far from nuke tests.

Last edited:
Seriously......does anyone still know what exactly is going on, like anyone in the world? Every damn newssource is coming with something different every 5 minutes.
I guess not. That's TEPCO for you, by all accounts.

I'm afraid that even the Japanese prime minister isn't accurately informed. I get the feeling, that our German public service broadcasting is better informed, than the Japanese government. There are lots of really competent nuclear physicists and scientists giving their two cents here, based on all the bits of information that has leaked out.

From what I gathered, the nuclear lobby in Japan is indeed so strong, that it can play with authorities at will. I guess that only TEPCO has an idea about what's going on but are afraid to say it clearly.

Last edited:
Middle-Europe? That is quite far from nuke tests.

And yet, the nuke tests were so far the greatest nuclear health risk to the general population.

MacGuffin: Some consolation, there are several entities carrying measuring equipment roaming Japan. Whether that's someone running his own Geiger counter or the US navy - if there was a serious spike we would know about it soon. That doesn't tell us much about what is really going on, but it does suggest that really bad oopsies have not happened (yet).

For those who haven't guessed, the high point in the mid-sixties is marked "nuclear weapon testing".

I red waffles......

Last edited:
I don't even like waffles....

And yet, the nuke tests were so far the greatest nuclear health risk to the general population.

That is still very low figure. Currently we in Finland get a dose of 3.7 mSv/year.

All three Reactors are in cold shutdown according to the IAEA. The spent fuel pond fire is out, and lasted only two hours. Barring any future incidents like the fire, the Fukushima incident is basically over.

All three Reactors are in cold shutdown according to the IAEA. The spent fuel pond fire is out, and lasted only two hours. Barring any future incidents like the fire, the Fukushima incident is basically over.

Maybe I can't read, but could you point me to where it says reactors 1-3 at Fukushima I are in cold shutdown?

Maybe i'm in a total reading comprehension feel after three days of doom not coming, but i can't find anything about the problem reactors 1,2 and 3 on the link you provided.

Total, x-ray's and all. That's only from atmosphere?

The image I posted is the dose attributed to human nuclear stuff, ie regular power plant operation, weapons, oopsies.
The overall annual dose these days is about 2mSv/a from natural sources and about 2mSv/a from human sources. Of that, medical examinations are the largest bit with about 1.9mSv/a on average.
Currently, human nuclear stuff is rated at pretty much nothing: "< 0,01 mSv/a" for regular plant operation, "< 0,016 mSv/a" for Chernobyl, "< 0,01 mSv/a" for nuke tests.

More info on stuff like this? Was nuclear weapons testing really this harmful? I expected some impact, but not that large level, especially compared to Chernobyl.

Yes. Above-ground nuke tests were the shit, literally shit.
Wikipedia claims 2052 nuke tests globally from 1945 to 2009. The US and the Soviets stopped athmospheric tests in '62/'63. There is a massive correlation with them stopping those tests and the level dropping since.

Last edited:
The image I posted is the dose attributed to human nuclear stuff, ie regular power plant operation, weapons, oopsies.
The overall annual dose these days is about 2mSv/a from natural sources and about 2mSv/a from human sources. Of that, medical examinations are the largest bit with about 1.9mSv/a on average.
Currently, human nuclear stuff is rated at pretty much nothing: "< 0,01 mSv/a" for regular plant operation, "< 0,016 mSv/a" for Chernobyl, "< 0,01 mSv/a" for nuke tests.

OK.

On top of everything we get 2 mSv/a from radon, which is quite common here. Medical studies is lower though, 0.5 mSv/a.

Last edited:
Inhaling Radon is said to be 1.1mSv/a around here.

An addendum about nuke tests, the Soviets did 138 atmospheric tests in 1961/62, among them the five largest nukes ever detonated. Those triple figures are largely to blame for the massive spike in the early sixties. Also, much closer to Finland than to Germany.
Even more so, you can see the temporary halt to nuke tests in 1959/60 as the massive drop within the spike.

Last edited:
That sounds like how my boss would phrase it.

Better than people not knowing their meaning throwing around words like meltdown at people not knowing their meaning. That just creates FUD, potentially more dangerous than the problem itself.