Audi developing Q6 to compete with BMW X6

McRae

Oh no...

No official information have been revealed at this point, but in an interview with the German media at the Geneva motor show, Audi boss Rupert Stadler alluded to the crossover, saying, ?We can imagine a model between the Q5 and the Q7 . . . a coupelike, four-wheel-driven model.?

Same magazine reports that Audi?s decision to add the Q6 to its lineup comes after lobbying calls from its North American and Chinese subsidiaries for a standard-size SUV to counter the BMW X6.

In 2010, BMW reported that its X6 sales have doubled compared to the previous year.

A bit early to speculate on the Q6 variant, but we would expect to see a wide range of gasoline and diesel engines, along with a hybrid option.

audi-q6-1024x768-655x491.jpg

Source: BMW Blog

:no: it'd take a seriously cool car to do the job, not this ... thing.

You do know that this is just some render thrown together by some reporter or fan, don't you?

Seriously guys, there isn't even a single spy pic of the real thing, let alone an official press release and you already start bitching? What's your problem with the X/Q6 and why are people so fond of the Range Rover Evoque then, when it's basically the same thing?

If you ask me, there's nothing worse about buying an X6 than about buying a GL, Range Rover or Porsche Chayenne. "yeaaah but the X6 can't even go offroad...!!!" as if anyone who owns an AWD car (SUV) these days would actually do that. At least people with X6 don't pretend that they would. They probably just have the cash, like the looks and the high seating position and like to stand out. You can't blame them for that.

In a way the X6 is to the X5 (or any other SUV) what the Scirocco is to the GTI. Worse/equal in every aspect, but subjectively alot more emotional/exciting.

Last edited:
You do know that this is just some render thrown together by some reporter or fan, don't you?

Duh.

We all know any high riding four wheel drive coupe cross over off road sports car will be carp. No need for them to develop it first before bashing it.

PS: To clarify, I'm not fond of the Evoque, X6, X5, X3, X1, Q7, Q5, GL, ML, Cayenne, ...

Last edited:
In a way the X6 is to the X5 (or any other SUV) what the Scirocco is to the GTI. Worse/equal in every aspect, but subjectively alot more emotional/exciting.

The Scirocco is just a coup?, which is fine. The X6-type of car is a:

high riding four wheel drive coupe cross over off road sports car

...which isn't very fine.

Why would you want to compete with the X6?

It's like, trying to compete who can staple their tounge the most.

...which isn't very fine.

You missed the point.

@narf: Would you kindly further define crap for me please?

Looks? subjective!
Ride? I recently drove the new Porsche Cayenne and it was very comfortable, as was the Mercedes R-Class and the BMW 5GT. I can't comment on the X6 but I can't imagine it's (much) worse except maybe when on 20 inch rims.
Practicality? The X6 is certainly more practical than most coupes and similar to some smaller SUVs, although that isn't even the point of this car.
Off Road capabilities? Again, not the point!
Putting a huge smile on the drivers face (especially the X6M)? I'm sure it does that well and that's what matters isn't it?

Look at it from my dads perspective: He has driven Opels and VWs for the last 35 years of his life. He's now 55 and has had some success with a company that he started some 15 years ago. Today he would be able to buy the car of his dreams, a Porsche Carrera (a pure one, no S, no Targa no Turbo). But as I said he's 55 and while he always wanted a 911 when he was in his 20s he finds it far to uncomfortable and unpractical these days. So when he told me recently that he wanted to get rid of his Opel Zafira and go for something classier, we looked through the options together: A6, BMW 5er and the likes weren't an option cause you sit too low and he hates getting in and out of those, the same goes for any sportscar. What remained were all the SUVs you mentioned. In the end he settled for the BMW 535d GT and couldn't be happier. It's a fantastic long range cruiser and he get's 7,1l/100km out of it, which is pretty impressive, considering the weight and size of that thing. Most important however, he's having fun with that car.

Last edited:
Why don't they just make an A7 Allroad instead?

I'm confused... The X6 is actually selling in high enough numbers that got Audi thinking this? Really?

I've seen maybe one or two X6s on the roads since it came out.

I wish this obsession with crossovers that the manufacturers currently have would end already, I'm not interested even slightly.

I have to say, I like the X6 and ill probably like this. I like that fat, squat, coupe-ish body on top of a SUV platform.

However, what I will say is they should just have one car.... no X5 and X6, just the X6 and drop the 5. Same with this, the Q7 is a fricken boat and inside its about as roomy as a little silk purse. Just drop the Q7, and make the Q6... its going to be cramped in the back anyway so why bother making something that looks like it isnt.

Well considering the fact that X6 is so surprisingly successful, hell they sold 100,000 of them as of October it is inevitable that Audi will try to squeeze in a product of their own to cut away from the niche. I never liked the X6 and never will, it's huge while cramped and ugly and pointless, blah blah and it's driven almost exclusively by idiots. Over here if you get a headline that someone was driving too fast/dangerously/endangering people on the road, it's a 75% chance it was a X6 driver.

Problem is: The X6 is very successful on the market. And the market is God for carmakers. They'll make, what the customers obviously want to buy. You can't blame Audi for also wanting to have a piece of the cake.

To my mind the success of the X6 just reinforces my belief that wealth and taste don't go hand in hand. This new Audi will be chasing the nouveau riche in the same vein.

Well, if I should ever get my hands on one, I report to the forum what it is about that car :)