The Android thread

1.2Ghz Qualcomm dual-core processor, 768Mb RAM, a 4.3 inch Super LCD screen with qHD resolution, an 8 megapixel camera and the latest version of Android.

Interesting... so basically a dual-core Inspire then.

I wonder why they had no dual-core stuff at CES. I still think HTC is making a confusing amount of Android handsets though... at least Samsung makes it easy having more or less the same model for all carriers.

I think they'll be bringing out a bunch of stuff at CTIA (which is happening now). I'll post any significant news as it happens.

I'm happy to report that despite the overclock and "performance" CPU setting, battery life in CM7 is close enough to the stock ROM that I don't notice any difference.... not that I'm paying particular attention. It's also been stable so far, knock on wood.

The web browser is much improved, which is very welcome since every web browser sucked back in Sense.....

I think I'm gong to try flashing CM7 tonight.

Samsung Galaxy Tabs 10.1 and 8.9 with pricing announced, Sprint announced HTC View 4G (7" Gingerbread + Sense 3.0 tablet) and EVO 3D.

That's everything interesting so far.

Is it true that the HTC Thunderbolt bootloader is locked?? If so, then this is troubling news.:mad:

I'm considering to root my Desire to get full app2sd.
What method did you use Ice? :)

Samsung Galaxy Tabs 10.1 and 8.9 with pricing announced, Sprint announced HTC View 4G (7" Gingerbread + Sense 3.0 tablet) and EVO 3D.

Galaxy Tab 8.9? Huh, I didn't really think we needed a size slotted in between the 7 and 10.1 inch tablets... but I guess I should reserve judgement until I see one. I never though I'd choose a 7" over a 10" tablet until I tried a 7"... maybe this 8.9" is the sweet spot.

HTC View 4G is an interesting pick-up for Sprint but honestly, I have to think hard what is going to happen with Sprint considering the possible merger of AT&T and T-Mo. I think Sprint is probably going to abandon WiMAX in favour of LTE soon so personally I wouldn't buy a WiMAX device from them right now. Then again, I think buying a tablet with a cellular radio is pointless in general, so...

I think I'm gong to try flashing CM7 tonight.

CM7 is the shit. I hated Cyanogenmod on the HD2 when I tried it but using it on the Nook has made me a fan.

I dunno if it's that it was at version 6 when I tried it on my phone or what, but CM7 is definitely a treat. It fixes a lot of vanilla Android shortcomings without changing the look like something like HTC Sense (admittedly Sense does add a lot more features though).

Is it true that the HTC Thunderbolt bootloader is locked?? If so, then this is troubling news.:mad:

What network would you use a Thunderbolt on in Canada? Or are you just asking out of curiosity?

Last edited:
Yeah, my dad has a netbook with 3G and he hasn't used it for a single second. The tablet I'll get is gonna be wifi only. Speaking of which, here's the pricing for the 10.1 and 8.9" tablets by Samsung:

Code:
                                16GB wifi-only    32GB wifi-only
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9"                   $469              $569
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1"                  $499              $599

I think even hardcore mobile users would be better off with a WiFi-only tablet. It's stupid to pay for two data plans when most phones can do tethering these days... unless your carrier is AT&T, who have decided they are going to charge tethering fees even from those using rooted phones. :rolleyes:

No. They're asking us to start paying because we're being meanie-heads and using the data we pay them for.

As for CM, I god damn loved it on the Nexus, both 6.1 and 7. 6.1 on the Captivate was nice too, but a few key bugs made it unusable for me.

USB Tethering apps are available for a small one-time fee on the Market for unrooted phones, at least on Sprint (not to mention the limited free versions). I use EasyTether personally, works fine. I have the free wifi tethering app too but I find it less useful as it drains the battery (and of course requires root which limits its target audience).

The pricing on those Samsung tablets is very competitive indeed. I'm digging the "Live View" widgets as well :cool:

No. They're asking us to start paying because we're being meanie-heads and using the data we pay them for.

As for CM, I god damn loved it on the Nexus, both 6.1 and 7. 6.1 on the Captivate was nice too, but a few key bugs made it unusable for me.

I really don't get American carriers charging you extra to use data you've already paid for...