The F1 Technical Developments Thread

At least they are trying to innovate despite the restrictive testing. If everyone played it conservative we would still be stuck in the 60s. The difference now to a few years ago is that it used to all be behind closed doors so no one knew of these "failures". 10 years ago teams probably tried things that didn't work out throughout the entire winter, but now they have less chance to test these things and it is far more public when they do.

Last edited:
Jesus I wish we were in the 60s. We're walking into a single car formula more and more.

Indeed and it would be 10x worse if teams like McLaren weren't willing to try new things.

Nobody said that.

It's implied because if McLaren didn't come up with the idea it's illegal, even if it's been deemed legal by the FIA it's still illegal.

It's implied because if McLaren didn't come up with the idea it's illegal, even if it's been deemed legal by the FIA it's still illegal.

WUT?

Yes cos McLaren is the only team bringing new stuff in......... siiiiiiggggghhhhh

Do you not know what "like" means? We were discussing McLaren so I didn't see the need to reel off the name of every team that has done any innovation to keep some annoying fan boys happy.

Nobody said that.

True, what was said was:

Indeed and it would be 10x worse if teams like McLaren weren't willing to try new things.

If I do a "FTFY" it'd have to be something like "if teams like McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, Sauber, Renault, Brawn, Mercedes, Toro Rosso" bla bla bla
Everyone tries new things.

If I do a "FTFY" it'd have to be something like "if teams like McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, Sauber, Renault, Brawn, Mercedes, Toro Rosso" bla bla bla
Everyone tries new things.

Good lord. He really doesn't know the meaning of the word "like". What you've just said makes "like" redundant. I can't believe I'm even entering this discussion.

Good lord. He really doesn't know the meaning of the word "like". What you've just said makes "like" redundant. I can't believe I'm even entering this discussion.

I know the word "like" enough that it needn't be there.

Understand my point now?!

What about stopping the silly arguing and going back posting or talking about real developments?

This is how I imagine F1 development and testing goes through the winter and during the season:

Plan A:
1. get a good idea
2. try the good idea
3. try to refine the good idea
4. try the refined good idea
5. if successful hide the idea
6. if failure go back to 1.
7. if 1. fails execute "plan B"

Plan B:
Copy good ideas from other teams.

Every single team does this.
Even when teams fail. The experiment is still worth it later on. Always.
If nothing else then atleast they know what not to do. Besides, it's not like we wont see for example the McLaren new exhaust later in the season.
Most stuff that wasn't successful in winter testing eventually find their way to the car later on. McLaren have the necessary resources to get to the top if they manage to pull their things together.
Look at 2009 season and 2004 season.

If McLaren pull their shit together they will race for GP wins.

Last edited:
I know the word "like" enough that it needn't be there.

Understand my point now?!

You have no point. We were discussing McLaren therefore it was perfectly reasonable to mention McLaren without reeling off a whole list of team names. Yes I could have mentioned no team at all but that doesn't mean that by only mentioning the one at hand I was somehow diminishing the other teams attributes.

Even when teams fail. The experiment is still worth it later on. Always.

Since McLaren is being talked about so much on this subject... perfect example of what you said there: the unraced MP4-18. I'm pretty sure several things experimented on that car ended up, in more polished and refined forms, on the -20 of 2005 that won 9(?, can't be bothered to look it up) times.

Last edited:
Since McLaren is being talked about so much on this subject... perfect example of what you said there: the unraced MP4-18. I'm pretty sure several things experimented on that car ended up, in more polished and refined forms, on the -20 of 2005 that won 9(?, can't be bothered to look it up) times.

The 18 and 19 were complete fails o_O
The 20 was a completely new design... if something filtered out it was very minor.

Exactly.
This is testing. It's futile to read too much into them.
You should always look at the big picture.

TEAMS TODAY TRY RADICAL AND DIFFERENT THINGS !!
It's good news for the spectators and for the sport.
The 18 and 19 were complete fails o_O
The 20 was a completely new design... if something filtered out it was very minor.

Stop bein an idiot.
There's no way McLaren or any other team goes through 2 failed cars and don't learn anything from them.
No way. It's simple logic.

Last edited:

What about stopping the silly arguing and going back posting or talking about real developments?

You have no point. We were discussing McLaren therefore it was perfectly reasonable to mention McLaren without reeling off a whole list of team names. Yes I could have mentioned no team at all but that doesn't mean that by only mentioning the one at hand I was somehow diminishing the other teams attributes.

Exactly.
This is testing. It's futile to read too much into them.
You should always look at the big picture.

TEAMS TODAY TRY RADICAL AND DIFFERENT THINGS !!
It's good news for the spectators and for the sport.

Stop bein an idiot.
There's no way McLaren or any other team goes through 2 failed cars and don't learn anything from them.
No way. It's simple logic.

awesome link: http://forums.finalgear.com/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=39121

;)