Jalopnik: This is what a new $14,000 VW Jetta actually looks like

In my fantasy world. Coincidentally, in the real world there are new DeLoreans being assembled :lol:

The car was named the DMC-12 because of its original price of US$12,000. New DMC-12s had a suggested retail price of $25,000 ($650 more when equipped with an automatic transmission); this is equivalent to approximately $60,371 in 2011.

Well, at least they tried back in '81.

You know, if they chucked in aircon this wouldn't be too bad as a daily beater/tuner-special. Headunits are cheap as chips, and if you're going to modify then having all the factory bits you don't want removed is pretty handy.

Then again, the engine is pretty shitty. A GTi lump would be a good place to start lol.

Last edited:
Also, there are better trim levels available. A proper Jetta could look like this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/03/19/jetta.jpg

The upper trim levels still have the hard cheap plastic on the dash, that one you picured only has a better color combo. Only the GLI has the proper soft touch dash, but they don't sell that one here. For some reason they're not selling the new Golf here either :(

So, question: If you get a bare-bones model without a radio. I'm assume it doesnt' come with speakers, then, right? Do they at least come wired for them so you can install a system later on? If not...that would be quite the pain in the ass.

The upper trim levels still have the hard cheap plastic on the dash, that one you picured only has a better color combo. Only the GLI has the proper soft touch dash, but they don't sell that one here. For some reason they're not selling the new Golf here either :(

:no: The one I pictured is a German Jetta. Comes with, among other things, nicer plastic. :D

So, question: If you get a bare-bones model without a radio. I'm assume it doesnt' come with speakers, then, right? Do they at least come wired for them so you can install a system later on? If not...that would be quite the pain in the ass.

I'd assume speakers were installed, just no headunit.

Dunno about the Jetta, but if you order an Aygo/107/C1 with no radio, it comes without HU, speakers or wiring. PITA indeed.

:no: The one I pictured is a German Jetta. Comes with, among other things, nicer plastic. :D

Not if it's like the US Golf vs the GTI, it doesn't. Same plastics.

I wouldn't. Historically, most strippers without a radio don't include the speakers or harness for them.

In fact, sometimes they didn't even have cut-outs in the dash or door panels for them.

Last edited:
Most basic Jetta over here in Israel:
1.6l engine, 102hp
34.5 mpg
7 speed DSG
CD player
2872 lbs

.....34,000 USD.
Stop moaning about your enormous 2 liter engines :p

Oh, and for 14,000 USD (~49,000 ILS) you can't even buy a new car here, the closest being the 3-cylinder Suzuki Alto at 60,000 ILS (17,000 USD). |:

Either way, it's pretty funny to watch VAG products crumble in a high-heat, high-humidity environment - if you don't own one. It's not a 'German engineering blindspot' either - BMWs generally do well here as do pre-Great-Cheapening-Fail Mercedes. Even the little 190Es have freezing cold AC at the height of Texas summer.

That's quite worrying. I own a VW which still hasn't been through the boiling summer of the holy landzors D:
Although mine was built in Spain, which is indeed a hot country, so I wouldn't know

Last edited:
Man, that was really stupid of VW to stop selling all the trim levels above the stripped out version.
You are missing the point. They are trying to sell an extremely cheap car that comes equipped with nothing at all, which would be fine if there weren't plenty of other cheap cars out there that come much better equipped. I would take a Hyundai over this thing any day at least I know they will take care of me.

You are missing the point. They are trying to sell an extremely cheap car that comes equipped with nothing at all, which would be fine if there weren't plenty of other cheap cars out there that come much better equipped. I would take a Hyundai over this thing any day at least I know they will take care of me.

Volkswagen advertises the Jetta as starting at $16k, so this $14k version is a special order. I don't understand why anyone would be outraged at VW giving you the option to specify your car like this.

Americans don't like options. It confuses them. I went to the Chrysler website recently and the configurator for the 200 made me chuckle. It allows you to configure colour. That's it. Not a single option.

Last edited:
Volkswagen advertises the Jetta as starting at $16k, so this $14k version is a special order. I don't understand why anyone would be outraged at VW giving you the option to specify your car like this.

Cuz its retarded :)

I wouldn't expect speakers.

Not if it's like the US Golf vs the GTI, it doesn't. Same plastics.

Feel free to come here and testdrive one to realize it does come with better plastics.

Also, this.

They are trying to sell an extremely cheap car that comes equipped with nothing at all.

They as in Volkswagen aren't. An American dealer is.

It's awful what they've done to the new Jetta. Such a hateful car to sit in. I was in a Versa SL (top of the line here in the US) and it had soft touch on the upper door sill on all doors, a soft touch armrest on all doors, and a soft touch dashboard. If the Versa can outclass nearly every one of its competitors in interior quality (save for the Fiesta....maybe...Fiesta's interior looks cheaper IMO...I need to get in one and poke around) yet remain competitively priced, then surely VW could do the same with Jetta.

Even though the Euro/GLI version gets a soft touch upper dash...the rest of the interior still looks cheap. Door's are still hard, nasty plastic.

Last edited: