Random Thoughts....

Your fifties are so big they don't fit in a regular wallet?

Nope. All our notes are different sizes. Christ even our 20's don't really fit either! XD

No, they are huge and only used by gypsy horse traders and drug dealers. :lol:

Hahahaha!! XD Int all shops I worked in 50's were a bit of a sore point. Especially when I worked in Clinton Cards an' folk would hand o'er a 50 to pay for a ?3.50 card. ?_? Bastards.

Hahahaha!! XD Int all shops I worked in 50's were a bit of a sore point. Especially when I worked in Clinton Cards an' folk would hand o'er a 50 to pay for a ?3.50 card. ?_? Bastards.

oddly enough, this happened to me last week in the shop. Some bloke wanted to spend a ?50 note on a ?1.99 item. Conveniently enough he claimed not to understand a word of english when we tried explaining that we don't take ?50 notes. Manager explained to me that the reason for this was that 9 times out of 10 they turn out to be fakes so they don't accept them.

In the US, that's technically not an excuse. $50 aren't that big of a deal, but $100's suck if your drawer only starts out with $100 in it to begin with. We just say that we don't have enough money in the drawer to break that bill.

In the US, that's technically not an excuse. $50 aren't that big of a deal, but $100's suck if your drawer only starts out with $100 in it to begin with. We just say that we don't have enough money in the drawer to break that bill.

Most places won't take anything over $20.

They are not easy to fake well, the paper, ink, engraving, security strip, color shifting ink, multi-layer seal, and watermarks make it difficult to do a good fake.

Just how easy to fake are your dollar bills? :blink:

They don't take the big bills because it creates problems when your register is full of $50 and $100 bills and nothing to make change with. Most places rely on a little pen they draw a mark on large bills with and if it changes the wrong color it's a fake bill.

Oh, OK - I still think it's weird; most places I go to have several 100 Euros in change even as they open up. Where I used to work checkout, we started the day with ?500.

While most places say they won't take them, technically, they should. Just like minimum purchases for credit cards at sandwich shops. Visa doesn't want limits to their cardholders like that. Technically, the restaurant should take it anyways. It's just that they get charged a transaction fee which can be as high as $4 that eats into whatever profits they might have on that $6 sandwich. Visa could fine them. I try to not use credit cards at smaller local places anyways because I know they get charged. Especially not with my Discover card! But, at a chain like Panda Express or something, I could care less. :p

Oh, OK - I still think it's weird; most places I go to have several 100 Euros in change even as they open up. Where I used to work checkout, we started the day with ?500.

Most places have between $100 and $200. However, let's say someone returns something for $60. Then one person pays with a $100. Now you're fucked. If it's a small neighborhood place, you probably depend on having change for people who pay with cash for their small purchases.

Polymer bank notes ftw, American's I'm sorry but your bank notes are crap

*laughs* They aren't crap. They are very very hard to copy. People (especially small business owners) are just paranoid.

Last edited:
I try to not use credit cards at smaller local places anyways because I know they get charged.
That's the beauty of my credit card: I can get cash for free at any ATM unless the people running it charge a fee that's added directly to the amount I withdraw. So whenever I want to pay with cash I don't have yet, I'm as close as possible to a suitable ATM.

They don't take the big bills because it creates problems when your register is full of $50 and $100 bills and nothing to make change with.

If your cash register is filled with tons of 50s and 100s you can really afford to keep a bit more change available.

Most places have between $100 and $200. However, let's say someone returns something for $60. Then one person pays with a $100. Now you're fucked. If it's a small neighborhood place, you probably depend on having change for people who pay with cash for their small purchases.

Here's what you do: Allow large bills, and if that freak case happens where the first few customers of the day take all your change simply tell the third or forth that you can't make change for his large bill (even if you could). If he does have a smaller bill, first take his money and second hit him for picking a larger bill than necessary. If he doesn't, you didn't lose a customer - he would not be able to pay at any time if you didn't accept large bills at all, now he is able to pay you most of the time.

Last edited:
Polymer bank notes ftw, American's I'm sorry but your bank notes are crap

And they smell like crayons...

50 quid notes here are a pain int th'arse. As well as a bunch of shops that won't tek 'em, some of the shops I've worked in have that stupid liccle pen you scribble over the bloody thing with. Every time I went to use it, the pen never had owt in it. ?_?

*laughs* They aren't crap. They are very very hard to copy. People (especially small business owners) are just paranoid.

It doesn't have anything to do with being paranoid, it's more about logistics and safety. Many places use timelock safes to hold most the cash to deter robbery, that means they have a limited amount of change on hand. I know that most convenience stores only have about $20 worth of change in the drawer at any time and any bill $20 or above goes right into the safe via a one-way drop slot.

500?!?! That's a lot of dough to just keep tied-up in just-in-case cash.

Cultural difference. Over here, almost nobody uses a credit card to pay for shopping.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/03/22/iChart.jpg

^ Payment methods market share for retailers. Bargeld = cash, ec-Cash = direct debit from your bank account with your card/PIN, ec-Lastschrift = direct debit from your bank account with your card/signature, Kreditkarten = duh.

In other words, 60% of retail revenue is done by cash (excluding fuel, pharmacies, mail-order, cars).

500?!?! That's a lot of dough to just keep tied-up in just-in-case cash.
Well, my workplace was a certain Swedish furniture store - hence the ?4,000 in cash. ;-)

Cultural difference. Over here, almost nobody uses a credit card to pay for shopping.
Tell me about it - some places don't even have the cheap-as-chips (concerning fees, not the hardware) ec/girocard machines. I can't imagine those are more expensive than handling the actual cash is.

Oh, and why did you have to German this thread with a pie chart? :lol:

I think that's closer to the norm here, too, than "my" ?500. However, it's usually the small change that cashiers ask me about... which must have something to do with my preference for shopping late.

Last edited:
Ze pie chart iz ze most efficient vey to prezent zis data :p

This finance class is burning a hole in my soul. I'm glad I didn't become an accountant or business major.

What...? Finance is awesome! :p

Also I think prunes get a bad rap...I think they are delicious.