In the market for a new car...

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Yes, the time has come to sell the old Volvo and get a newer, faster car.

First and most importantly - no MX-5!!! I can't stand those.

It has to be fairly practical (if it's two doors, it has to at least have backseats), bonus points for forced induction, and it has to be built after 1998.

After I drove an S60R today I absolutely loved it and it shall be the car all other options are compared to. So here is what I have been able to think of so far:

1. S60R - naturally. AWD, 6 speed manual and orange seats. On the plus side, I am already familiar with most of the engine and suspension since it isn't radically different from the 850. On the downside, I hear that the AWD can be the Achilles' heel of the car - the angle gear is apparently costly to replace.

2. Audi S4 - technically it is very similar to the S60R. I am not a big fan of the brand and the image that S4's convey. I have no statistical proof but I think they might be cheaper to maintain than the S60R.

3. V70R - the first generation. This will basically be the same as my car, only a little newer and faster. It only comes with automatic gearbox, same as mine. But on the plus side, they are very cheap to maintain and I can find one for under $6,000. I wonder if a car with 250hp is a lot slower than 300hp one....(V70R vs. S60R)

4. Jaguar XJR - yes, the big cat. I still haven't made my mind on it. One day I love it, the next day I think it's for old people.

And that's as far as I have come. Another criteria that I have is - lots of options. I may not use half of them, but I like a car with a lot of buttons and features.

The biggest battle right now is S60R vs S4...what should it be?

Yes, the time has come to sell the old Volvo and get a newer, faster car.

Thought you were going to keep that forever and ever as it was perfect, etc., etc. :p

4. Jaguar XJR - yes, the big cat. I still haven't made my mind on it. One day I love it, the next day I think it's for old people.

If it's for old people, it's for really badass old people.

I never said it's a bad car. I love it, but I just don't see myself driving one. And anyways, my budget is around $13,000 and at that price range most of the XJR's I have found are the pre-2000 model with the nikassil engine linings.

1998+- a couple of years. The point was that I am looking for something more modern than my current car. So all suggestions for old Mercs and E30's are out.

Have you looked at the insurance rates on S4's and S60R's? You may be in for a shock - depends on your insurer and your driving record, of course.

I just got a quote from my insurer (Geico) removing the 850 and replacing it with an S60R and my quote actually went down by $30. It would be $60 a month for liability only, or $200 a month for comprehensive. (I'll probably just stay with liability)

I just realized another benefit of the Jag would be the lack of timing belt and the need to replace it. I read on swedespeed about a guy whose timing belt broke (making it necessary to rebuild the head) at 73,000 miles. Timing belt interval is at 70,000...he was just 3,000 late and it broke. Damn...

Good timing chains FTW.

If you get a 95-97 XJR, you also get a nearly unkillable gearbox that (should you somehow manage to do so) is cheap and easy to rebuild and upgrade. Most every shop knows how to rebuild a GM 4L80E.

I just got a quote from my insurer (Geico) removing the 850 and replacing it with an S60R and my quote actually went down by $30. It would be $60 a month for liability only, or $200 a month for comprehensive. (I'll probably just stay with liability)

This rates are insane. I just paid the comprehensive coverage for the Kadett: 109 Euros... for a year.

After doing more research, I think the S60R might be a stupid option. Owners love them but admit that the maintenance is killing them. Just an example, I changed the tie rods on my car and it cost me less than $150. For the S60R - $500, and apparently they fail much more often than the 850.

They say that the S60R that you have to love and take care of. If you are looking for something reliable - look elsewhere.

I should maybe get an S70...

(Another example - a guy with a bone stock S60R shattered his rear diff and the whole Haldex coupler. Repair bill: $9000. The warranty didn't cover it because it was caused by normal wear and tear.)

I am putting two more cars on the table:
- E39 540i
- CLK 430 (00-02)

Anyone have any experience with their reliability?

I am getting more and more drawn to the S60R. I've read more about the car's problems - apparently even if the AWD system breaks down (the infamous angle gear), the car is still perfectly drivable. It just becomes FWD all the time, which it is anyways.

The bigger issue apparently is the fancy 4C suspension. The car has four struts and each one is $360! The only cars that share these struts are the S60R, Corvette C5, and some Ferrari (either 360 or 550). That still doesn't change the fact that I am crazy about this car.

The CLK is from one of the worst quality periods for Mercedes.

The E39? Nik-a-sil in early ones, VANOS in newer ones. Got cubic dollars? :p

That still doesn't change the fact that I am crazy about this car.

No, you're just crazy. :p :mrgreen: Go back and read your own posts - the S60R will happily eat your wallet.

Last edited:
540i has cooling issues also.

Drives great though :)

No, you're just crazy. :p :mrgreen: Go back and read your own posts - the S60R will happily eat your wallet.

Yeah, but isn't that the reason we are car enthusiasts? I could buy a Camry if I wanted something cheap and reliable.

Thanks for the info on E39/CLK...I guess they are out. How about a 01-02 Nissan Maxima with the vq35 and manual gearbox? Is that any good?

(I thought about a Mustang for a second, but it is nearly impossible to find one that is left stock)

Edit: Oh Cock! I can haz this for $12000
xg_640.jpg

Last edited:
How about a 01-02 Nissan Maxima with the vq35 and manual gearbox? Is that any good?

Nissan Maxima is always a good bet; the VQs drink premium, but then again most performance cars with high compression or turbo engines do anyway. It won't drive you into bankruptcy though, so it's probably not for you :p.

I think all the cars that I am looking at drink premium only. That doesn't bother me.

Any verdict on the S4 - it seems like it's the cheapest, and I haven't heard any horror stories about it.

I hate to say this, but I also like the Acura TL, even though it's just an Accord with a fancy badge.

I think all the cars that I am looking at drink premium only. That doesn't bother me.

Any verdict on the S4 - it seems like it's the cheapest, and I haven't heard any horror stories about it.

I hate to say this, but I also like the Acura TL, even though it's just an Accord with a fancy badge.

If it's the 2.7T S4, run away; there's a reason the resale values of those cars are low, usually relating to head gaskets neglected maintenance in general as the cars age. TL and Maxima are comparable, seeing as they're both available as a 6-speed V6 combo. Honestly, those two are your best bet, seeing as they're not money pits despite being very fun.

Last edited:
Spectre said:

^ This. If you find one with reasonable mileage and service history the mid-90's models are apparently a decent buy.

Good timing chains FTW.

If you get a 95-97 XJR, you also get a nearly unkillable gearbox that (should you somehow manage to do so) is cheap and easy to rebuild and upgrade. Most every shop knows how to rebuild a GM 4L80E.

^ This as well.