The upgrade katwalk always wanted...(Beetle inside)

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
autoblog said:
2012-vw-new-beetle-spy-2-opt.jpg

The latest from the Volkswagen bunker in Wolfsburg is that the second-generation New Beetle (henceforth to be known mercifully as 'Beetle') is officially dropping its towel to the floor at the Shanghai Motor Show in April. Whooda thunk it just five years ago? The Beetle is an American pop phenomenon, and it smarts a bit to have lost even that cachet to the all-powerful Chinese venue.

Early word on the Beetle is that it is dynamically far sportier than the outgoing matzoh-ball built exclusively for people desperate for cutesy-ness and absolute symmetry. Oh, yes, and rear passengers without heads.

While Europe is not intended to get the sensational 335-horsepower "W28" in-line five-cylinder turbo seen so far in both the Audi TT RS and RS3, it would seem there is a plot afoot to bring such a Beetle to North America. "The Beetle," a source in Wolfsburg tells Autoblog, "is so much sportier now. It's much more appealing to male buyers as well." Some off-the-record remarks tell of a Beetle thus equipped that is better on the track than another VW R coupe that North America sadly still doesn't get.

The message? No more dung beetles.
Source
That's just retarded, the Beetle is not a sports car, why would you give it an engine that even GTI doesn't get?

It's much more appealing to male buyers as well.
I appear not to be sufficiently metrosexual to desire that car in the picture. It looks just like the old beetle, but fat. 335 HP in that is loony in a bad way.

So...it's the beetle with a new roof and suspension tweaks.

I appear not to be sufficiently metrosexual to desire that car in the picture. It looks just like the old beetle, but fat. 335 HP in that is loony in a bad way.

Too much power is never enough.

It looks weird now; with that humpback and snout, it's a hybrid of a 911 and a PT Cruiser. With the Mini and the Fiat 500 now in the market, I wonder if it has any chance of selling on cool factor anymore.

Ok. If they give it 335HP and make it rear drive, that would be AMAZINGLY EPIC-AWESOME.

I mean, I don't know how it will impact sales, but AMAZINGLY EPIC-AWESOME.

Ok. If they give it 335HP and make it rear drive, that would be AMAZINGLY EPIC-AWESOME.

It's gonna be AWD at best, most likely the failtastic Haldex type which is FWD that from time to time powers the rears. Looks like a weirdly squished Panamera to me.

I agree, 335hp to the front wheels is just stupid. It's a new beetle, the buyers are all people looking for a cutesey car, that isn't going to change. 335hp is just going to get these people into trouble, because they couldn't drive with the lousy 170hp or whatever the first one had.

Now if it was RWD, then things might change a bit.

Yeah, because inexperience, timid drivers with 335 and RWD is a recipe for safety. :p

:blink:
WHAT
WHAT
Ok, I know I complained about the power but that is ridiculous.

......Actually, how much for an engine swap.

335 HP, longer nose, looks like it was made to be a bit more comfortable for the american market.

Gentlemen, the new Super Beetle. I kinda like it actually. up until you get to what it seems like melted headlights.

Last edited:
I'm normally not a fan of "slammed" and cars, but done right this could look neat...lowered roof, lowered body...

Yeah, because inexperience, timid drivers with 335 and RWD is a recipe for safety. :p

That's not quite what I meant. I think if they went that route, the target market would change.