What happens when you refuse to pose for TSA or be sexually molested to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye that's true. Pack light, and be mentally prepared to be molested.
Something that should never be required in a supposedly-free country.

...remember that old saying "you've got nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide"?
Even if that were true (and it isn't), it's not anymore. I have nothing in my bags I'm ashamed to show people, but I do value my privacy.

Do you know what the difference between secrecy and privacy is? You lock the door to the bathroom because what you're doing in there is a private matter, but certainly not a secret one. Everyone knows you're taking a dump, but that doesn't mean you want to show it to the world.

Last edited:
Do you know what the difference between secrecy and privacy is? You lock the door to the bathroom because what you're doing in there is a private matter, but certainly not a secret one. Everyone knows you're taking a dump, but that doesn't mean you want to show it to the world.
Oh, I don't know. Some things that happen in bathrooms are better kept very secret, so nobody can smell them... :barf:

I just started reading a novel called Little Brother, which is absolutely terrifying in how plausible it is.

I just started reading a novel called Little Brother, which is absolutely terrifying in how plausible it is.

What? I thought Cory Doctorow wrote a documentary and sent it back to us in a time machine.

Oh, I don't know. Some things that happen in bathrooms are better kept very secret, so nobody can smell them...
My point was that nothing you do in there is secret knowledge, even though it is still a private matter.

Last edited:
Blind, are you going to be a test case? Don't take that as a challenge, I am just asking.

I don't see that I have any other choice.

I will float you a fiver for your lawyers fees. Setup a paypal donation link.

Don't forget to bring your copy of the TSA manual so you can confront them when they do something they shouldn't.

And the constitution.

It won't do any good. The TSA thinks they are above the Constitution. There are many reports that workers have claimed that passengers gave up their rights by buying a ticket, walking into the airport or getting in line - none of which are true.

I am taking a flight again. Took one two weeks ago. Most of the time you can get lucky and go through the metal detector. Nothing you can do at an airport will change anything. The people there are just doing what they are paid to do. It is the people that you don't see that make the procedures and profit from them. Be pissed at those people.

I will be pissed at anyone involved. "I'm just doing my job" is not an excuse. No matter how much money you paid me I would never participate in an organization like DHS or TSA. From the top brass to the slack-jawed monkey at the checkpoint, they are all equally culpable. Even if the gate-monkey isn't making policy s/he is actively enforcing and enacting that policy. The policy would mean nothing if there was no one there to enforce it.

I will be pissed at anyone involved. "I'm just doing my job" is not an excuse. No matter how much money you paid me I would never participate in an organization like DHS or TSA. From the top brass to the slack-jawed monkey at the checkpoint, they are all equally culpable. Even if the gate-monkey isn't making policy s/he is actively enforcing and enacting that policy. The policy would mean nothing if there was no one there to enforce it.
Exactly. The Nuremberg defense isn't.

Don't forget to bring your copy of the TSA manual so you can confront them when they do something they shouldn't.

Yeeeah... about that...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1h5Mvc3MM[/youtube]

Cliff's notes:
  • Pregnant mother carrying through breast milk doesn't want it to be x-rayed and requests for an "alternative screening" that is approved by the TSA's own policy.
  • For daring to add two seconds to their workload and point out the federal law that is supposed to be followed, the TSA places her in a glass cage to show her off as their trophy while the other passengers were herded through the checkpoint like cowards.
  • For no reason other than immature punitivity, they make her wait long enough in the glass prison that she misses her flight
  • For no reason other than immature punitivity, they give her a grope-down, even through she passed through the metal detector without issue.
  • For no reason other than immature punitivity, they baselessly threaten to call the police to arrest her.
  • Even after showing them a print-out of the TSA's own policy that clearly states the alternate screening methods, they tell her she can either put her breast milk through the x-ray or throw it out. HER INFANT'S FOOD.

Where does the government find people this stupid?

And the constitution.
Have you ever been to the United States? They might as well have used the constitution as their toilet paper years ago.

I will float you a fiver for your lawyers fees. Setup a paypal donation link.
You will have my financial support as well.

Last edited:
^
:lol:
I must appoint more Cartmans to the TSA, before making Calvin employee of the month again.

We will see what happens. I must admit that in the face of obstinate bureaucracy like TSA it is very tempting to just try to keep my head down and not draw attention to myself, but if I get selected for the scanner or pat down and don't do or say anything I don't think I could look myself in the mirror in the morning.

Think the TSA is behind the times? Well, you're right. You just have no idea by how much.

Whistle-blowing witch grounded by TSA

Here's a situation for all you aspiring managers: If you were the boss at a U.S. government agency and one of your employees complained that she was afraid of a co-worker's religious practices, what would you do?

Would it change your decision if the religion were Wicca, and the employee feared her co-worker because she thought she might cast a spell on her?

Here's how the Transportation Security Administration handled it:

It fired the witch.

Continued...

That's right: the TSA fired someone because of witchcraft. 1600's-style :lol:

She wasn't burned at the stake, but this is still just stupidity.

Speaking of stupid: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/business/29road.html?_r=1

IN general, I don?t take orders from anyone except (as a matter of prudence) my wife. So the last time I was in an airport and security agents started bellowing, ?Freeze!? I simply carried on with my business of buying a box of chocolates at a pushcart a few dozen feet away from the Transportation Security Administration checkpoint area.

I was immediately upbraided, not by a security officer, but by a fellow passenger. Like dozens of other travelers near the checkpoint, he had abruptly halted in place, on command, as if playing a children?s game.

?You?re supposed to freeze!? the guy growled at me as he stood motionless in the frozen tableau of the reflexively compliant.

But wait a minute: Am I really supposed to freeze? At many airports, T.S.A. officers conduct occasional drills in which the agents suddenly start screaming things like ?Code Bravo! Freeze!?
The drills, which the T.S.A. tells me happen only once or twice a year at any given airport, are intended to give the officers experience in what happens if there is a security breach. The goal is to train them in how to quickly shut down a checkpoint and, once the potential threat is resolved, get it up and running again in a timely manner.

?These drills are generally conducted during off-peak hours to minimize disruption, and generally last a minute,? said Kristin Lee, a spokeswoman for the agency. The agency conducts a range of security exercises, not all of them in public, to train checkpoint officers, she said.

Understood, I said. But still, am I, a citizen, required to stop motionless when the T.S.A. officers yell ?freeze??

Actually, no. The agency has ?wide-ranging legal authority to carry out security-related responsibilities,? Ms Lee said. But in these specific drills, she added, ?passengers are not required to ?freeze? in place like statues.? But if they are within the checkpoint security area, they may be required to remain there until the drill has ended
, she said.

Sounds reasonable enough to me. But, as we all know, T.S.A. policies, as enunciated in Washington, are not always followed precisely to the letter. After all, there are security checkpoints at some 450 airports, where nearly two million passengers go through screening every day.

On the two occasions that I have experienced the freeze drill ? once at the Los Angeles airport and, more recently, at Atlanta ? it was clear to me that travelers believed they were required to stop and stand motionless ? even those who had cleared security and were merely within shouting distance of the checkpoint. Officers seemed to reinforce that impression, too.

The freeze issue has been getting more attention lately. On Wewontfly.com, a Web site started last year in opposition to certain T.S.A. procedures, including the more aggressive body pat-downs, a woman commented that she was recently involved in a freeze drill at the Atlanta airport.

?As we were going through the security checkpoint, one of the supervisors suddenly yelled ?freeze!? ? she wrote. ?Everyone was forced to just stand there for about a minute. We were not allowed to move, fidget, look around, speak, nothing.?

George Donnelly, who co-founded the Web site, described the drills as ?like they?re playing a game of freeze tag.? His site calls on people unable to find alternatives to flying to ?opt out? of the so-called full-body scanners, and object loudly if the resulting body pat-down seems inappropriate.

Anyone who regularly reads this column knows that I am not shy about criticizing the T.S.A. for capricious overreach, and for unnecessarily heavy-handed hassling of the flying public. On the other hand, I realize that the agency is often pushed and pulled publicly, in ways that can distract from its real missions: intelligent risk assessment and vigilance about threats from liquid explosives.

But can we at least chill, as it were, over the issue of freezing? The security agency can certainly make it more clear to the public and to its screeners what the drill entails. Basically, a drill to freeze the checkpoint means that movement through and in the checkpoint stops. We travelers are not really required to freeze in place.

?I kind of scratch my head on this,? said James Babb, the other co-founder of Wewontfly.com. ?All I can think of is obedience training. I kind of know what to expect from the T.S.A., but really on this, my frustration is with the public that says, ?Oh, an authority figure said freeze, so I?d better freeze,? and not ask reasonable questions.?

facepalm.gif (and can we get this emote added to the menu, it will get plenty of use)

Exactly what is the point? (OK, yes, that's rhetorical... the point is conditioning the public to be unquestioningly complacent in the face of authority)

But, what are they going to try to tell us? That Mr. Terrorist is going to stop in his tracks and let them take him down?

Status
Not open for further replies.