General Anime Thread

i would add Uuchuu Senkan Yamato & Mobile Suit Gundam to that as well. The animation quality hasn't aged badly and both have a storyline that is just equally as good.

Also the 90's one is just outright scary, not only because of the features but also how it pretty much sums up the quality of the majority of anime produced in that time.

90s anime was wack for TV series, but movies were quite good!

I rarely watch anything from that decade anyways, besides The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. <3

http://img156.imageshack.**/img156/544/snapshot20090708091450.png

i would add Uuchuu Senkan Yamato & Mobile Suit Gundam to that as well. The animation quality hasn't aged badly and both have a storyline that is just equally as good.
Interesting, I thought that was the biggest problem with watching Mobile Suit Gundam these days. I'm always reluctant to show a friend for fear the animation would turn them off. I love it, but its mostly because I love the story and characters. I mean I must admit, some of the animation is a bit cheezy like pink explosions. Zeta Gundam on the other hand despite its age and the new movies, I think is still very watchable even today and I've never had a friend complain about the animation for that one.

Interesting, I thought that was the biggest problem with watching Mobile Suit Gundam these days. I'm always reluctant to show a friend for fear the animation would turn them off. I love it, but its mostly because I love the story and characters. I mean I must admit, some of the animation is a bit cheezy like pink explosions. Zeta Gundam on the other hand despite its age and the new movies, I think is still very watchable even today and I've never had a friend complain about the animation for that one.

everything you said is a "correct" opinion! ^o^v
Zeta Gundam is practically a superior "remake" (reboot?) of the original Gundam release, anyhow. =P

Zeta influenced some great artwork!:
http://img195.imageshack.**/img195/1792/gundamgirlartwork.png

Last edited:
Zeta Gundam is a text book example of a show living long past its animation. Its got a very solid storyline that builds on the original and expands it as well. Although i prefer the UC0079 period, its mostly because of thats how i was introduced to Gundam and my first taste. As such i've always held UC0079 as the benchmark. I've always liked Stardust Memory as well since it fit nicely in the gap between 0079 and Zeta.

If anything, if i want to watch a good solid storyline i'll watch UC0079 and Zeta. If i want to get someone introduced to anime and specifically Gundam (while avoiding Gundam Wing) it would definately be Zeta.

I was at the official Gundam shop in Osaka and most of the merchandise was for Zeta and SEED.
I left with a Zeta money case and F91 guide book. =P

the Gundam store was called "Osaka Gundams", located on Sakai-suji street in DenDen town, Osaka.

There are more shops in Osaka, though.

(i'm actually not a Gundam fan, but it was cool to check out on my way through DenDen) ^^

im not really a gundam fan but i did really enjoy G Gundam

Highschool of the Dead, I do see what everyone as saying about the excessive fanservice, it feels out of place at first, but I got over it... currently only on episode 2 and it's a good time so far. Takes itself more seriously than I imagined.

Highschool of the Dead, I do see what everyone as saying about the excessive fanservice, it feels out of place at first, but I got over it... currently only on episode 2 and it's a good time so far. Takes itself more seriously than I imagined.

Haha, wait until ep6, that's where the fan service really gets going! :lol:

After a while I just sort of stopped noticing it though, I do hope it gets a 2nd series because the ending is sort of a cliff hanger tbh. Currently waiting for the next chapter of the manga to be released...

Also, I have become addicted to Lucky Star, does this make me strange?

Not if you go back and read the first few pages of this thread. It's up there with Azumanga Daioh and K-ON as shows that I really shouldn't have any interest in.....

I really like the Gundam designs for F91 and Tallgeese II.

Tallgeese III is also pretty cool.

I think the F91 was a great, revolutionary design in Gundam franchise MS, but unfortunately, Kunio Okawara seemed to lose the ability to create anything really original after that and has recycled the F91 backpack design endlessly since then.

Nothing wrong with liking Lucky Star :p

As for me I started to watch Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka. Watched two episodes and decided it was quite nice then I found a torrent to download everything (I have started to download everything now. Curse you people :p) and I saw a spoiler comment which reveals a plot change towards the end.
So from what I watched so far and seeing that comment I can pretty easily guess how this anime will go. I don't like the said direction that much but since i started watching I guess I shall finish it...

Finished Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka. As victor said it was pretty average and the ending was pretty much what I expected. But that said, this concludes the tsundere series from Rie Kugimiya :p

Just to make sure you haven't missed any:

Toradora, Hayate no Gotoku, Zero no Tsukaima, Shakugan no Shana, Kanamemo, and to a lesser extent, Toaru Majutsu no Index II :p

I managed to watch many of those without making the Rie Kugimiya connection until later...

I recently discovered that the entire series of Trigun is on Netflix instant stream. :D