Good PS3 games to get?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
Whats a good shooter or just action type game? something you can pick up and play for an hour or so, but doesnt require you to slug on and on once you start?

I was thinking of getting BLOPS or Battle Field Bad Company 2, but are there others?

GT5 has been a massive waste of time for me, I bought a PS3 and GT5 bundle specifically for GT5 but then forgot the monotony and tedium of grinding for money and cars in that game and simply never started it. Only played a couple of arcade races.

I've played heavy rain, which was bloody excellent. Are there any more games in a similar vain? Whats Dead Space 2 like?

These are some of the games I have enjoyed the most, and more or less meets the criteria of not having to be played for hours on end:

As you mention: Battlefield BC2 + Vietman (both highly recommended). But remember it is a pretty big step going from fps with mouse and keyboard to controller, so be prepared for that if you are used to PC... It sucks, but it sucks equally for everybody in MP.

I guess Black Ops should be mentioned as well. It is not as tactical as BC2, but maybe thats a plus?

Uncharted 2
God of War 3 (+ 1 & 2 which are PS2 HD ports)
Maybe the Assasins Creed series (open world, going around stabbing ppl in various ways).
Bioshock 1 & 2 for the single player.
Batman: Arkham Asylum

MGS4 is a classic for the PS3, but it's not something you just sit down and play 30-60 min. Same goes for the Fallout games and Red Dead Redemption.
Little big planet 1 & 2 are also "must haves" but they never really caught me. They are to "cute" and the feel of the controls somehow just seems wrong.

Dead space never really interested me, so can't comment on it. I have a friend who likes it...
Haven't tried it but Bulletstorm but could be a possibility too?

PSN games:

Flower - Very relaxing... definitely something you can just pick up and unwind to for 30 mins. Same goes for the two other PSN titles.
Shooter 1 & 2
Shatter

Last edited:
Uncharted 2. Seriously. This game is awesome. On my first play through I was hooked until I beat the game. Game of the year for me...

These are some of the games I have enjoyed the most, and more or less meets the criteria of not having to be played for hours on end:

As you mention: Battlefield BC2 + Vietman (both highly recommended). But remember it is a pretty big step going from fps with mouse and keyboard to controller, so be prepared for that if you are used to PC... It sucks, but it sucks equally for everybody in MP.

I guess Black Ops should be mentioned as well. It is not as tactical as BC2, but maybe thats a plus?

Uncharted 2
God of War 3 (+ 1 & 2 which are PS2 HD ports)
Maybe the Assasins Creed series (open world, going around stabbing ppl in various ways).
Bioshock 1 & 2 for the single player.
Batman: Arkham Asylum

MGS4 is a classic for the PS3, but it's not something you just sit down and play 30-60 min. Same goes for the Fallout games and Red Dead Redemption.
Little big planet 1 & 2 are also "must haves" but they never really caught me. They are to "cute" and the feel of the controls somehow just seems wrong.

Dead space never really interested me, so can't comment on it. I have a friend who likes it...
Haven't tried it but Bulletstorm but could be a possibility too?

PSN games:

Flower - Very relaxing... definitely something you can just pick up and unwind to for 30 mins. Same goes for the two other PSN titles.
Shooter 1 & 2
Shatter

Yeah Im a console convert, Im used to the FPS on a controller now so it doesnt bother me too much. Ill look up Unchartered, Bulletstorm and God of War 3, they sound interesting. I have a 360 which I played the fallout games (3 and New Vegas + all expansions) to death. I freaking love that series, I hope they make more. Done Bioshock as well, thoroughly good games, both of them. Batman as well, played most of that but didnt finish it because I just lost a bit of interest in it. Agree on little big planet, not my cuppa.

Cheers lads,

Will probably pick up BC2 because its dirt cheap, so might as well.

Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2.

You need to play Uncharted 1 first though. :D

MGS4 is a good game, just expect there will be a lot of long cutscenes. I also recently beat Dragon Age 2, it's an excellent RPG, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.

MGS4 is pretty fantastic...but you have to be into those kinds of games.

I've played heavy rain, which was bloody excellent. Are there any more games in a similar vain? Whats Dead Space 2 like?

Good choice in Heavy Rain, absolutely loved that game.
Dead Space 2 is good, moments where it truly did scare the crap out of me. The game helps if you've played Dead Space 1 (which i actually think in terms of story-telling works far better) since there tons of story references that might pass you by if you haven't played the first (also i think you'll be able to find the first game at a good price on the PS3).
Medal of Honor is another good FPS game. While the Call of Duty games all go OTT in terms of storytelling. MoH's single player is kept tight and easily accessible. biggest drawback there though is the single player is very short.
You might like Mass Effect 2 that is now available on PS3. Storytelling, second to none. great gameplay although you'll probably have to read up on what has gone before.
Much like others, i would have to highly recommend Uncharted 2. The game is perfect casual play, it has graphics that are eye watering, a loose storyline and so-so characters. But mostly the game is in a class of its own.
Resistance is a fairly decent FPS along with its sequel. Ratchet & Clank, despite being made for kids is tons of fun and Killzone is fun but doesn't offer much substantial beyond that.

If you liked Heavy Rain you'll probably like MGS (heavily story-based). Uncharted is excellent as well, 2 is much better than 1 but play 1 first anyway, it's still quite good.

You might prefer a game like Motorstorm (Pacific Rift is much better than the original) to GT5 if pick-up-and-play is your thing. Same for Burnout.

Red dead redemption......hell any sandbox game rockstar made for ps3

*not a fanboy*

Meh, it's not garbage, it's still GTA. But it's not nearly as good as the main game or Gay Tony. You'll get them both in the Episodes pack at any rate. I'll second Red Dead Redemtion, forgot about that one, as long as it doesn't freeze on you constantly like mine <_<

Ratchet & Clank, despite being made for kids...

I respectfully disagree. Just because something is cartoony doesn't mean it's made FOR kids. I agree with Ratchet being tons of fun though. It's a humorous series full of awesome action and good story. It's one of the few series I know of that's gotten a score of 80-90% for all 6 of the games (there are 9 if you count the PSP and PSN games).

For some reason I never liked Ratchet and Clank as much as Jak and Daxter.... but those days are past.

Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2.

You need to play Uncharted 1 first though. :D
This. The game is simply brilliant in my opinion.
FYI, Uncharted 1 isn't some antiquated game either, it's almost as good as Uncharted 2 I think.

Uncharted 2 might possibly be the best game I have ever played (and I've been playing computer games since the late 1970's).

Last edited:
Love BC2.

Mortal Kombat out soon, demo is good (for doing it old school style).

FYI, Uncharted 1 isn't some antiquated game either, it's almost as good as Uncharted 2 I think.

Uncharted 2 might possibly be the best game I have ever played (and I've been playing computer games since the late 1970's).

Uncharted 1 is a great game, but Uncharted 2 is spectacular and my fave game of all time. They changed the controls a little, but you need the story from 1 to go into 2 IMO.

I still play the multiplayer, and it has dropped in numbers. But you can still get any game at any time.

Agreed, not with Uncharted 2 being the best game i've ever played. That distinction goes to Mass Effect. However Uncharted 1 is just as good as Uncharted 2. With the sequel it felt more like they kept what was good, improved it and tried to fix what didn't work in Uncharted 1. which is really what the format of what any game sequel should do.

InFamous is a pretty good PS3-exclusive action game. It's situated in an open city, you can do a lot of stuff, (ab)use your superpowers and play as good or evil. It's also pretty cheap now.

InFamous is a pretty good PS3-exclusive action game. It's situated in an open city, you can do a lot of stuff, (ab)use your superpowers and play as good or evil. It's also pretty cheap now.

thing there is that with a sequel coming soon, prices of the original game are very likely to start going up soon. so it might be best to keep a eye out on that one and make sure you get yourself a good deal and avoid being ripped off.