The pop, soda, Coke, energy drink, carbonated beverage thread

Found the 'Throwback' Pepsi and Dew for the first time in the UK. Way nicer than the usual stuff and I love the retro cans.

I also tried an imported can of Amp Energy, which I only really bought because I recognized it off Earnhardt Jr's racing car. I like it, the fruit flavor is a lot nicer than similar stuff from Monster. I hope they start selling it here offically.

Isn't the UK stuff always 'Throwback'?

I know they had Pepsi RAW which was real sugar pepsi....so maybe they had the HFCS stuff all along.

Maybe their Throwback is HFCS? :?

BLECCH lets hope not....unfortunetly I'm stuck drinking the god-awful stuff here on campus. Heh, at least its not Coke....

Eh...when it's a full serving, I don't mind. If it's just a glass, I tend to preffer Pepsi, however, that was the whole genius behind the "pepsi challenge." At first sip, people preffered Pepsi. But if they finished a whole serving, people tended to be happier with Coke. So when Pepsi did the pepsi challenge with just a sip, they stacked the decks in their favor.

And from what I hear, Jack & Pepsi is just wrong.

I don't mind HFCS soda as long as it's cold. I've been drinking lots of different retro cane sugar sodas lately and they all seem under sweetened until I tried this
SunCrest-Orange.JPG

It had a similar sweetness compared to regular HFCS soda, so I checked the label and saw it had 210 calories per 12oz compared to 140 calories for a regular coke. Jones soda is similar with far more calories per bottle than HFCS equivalent.

And from what I hear, Jack & Pepsi is just wrong.

Agree. Too much sweetness in Pepsi so that mix just tastes horrible (to me anyway). Oddly, I get the same overly sweet gross taste from crown or jack and coke made with real sugar instead of HFCS. Fox a mixed coke I want it with HFCS, though for straight coke I'd prefer sugar.

they all seem under sweetened

I prefer it to a soda that's sickeningly sweet.

Speaking of that, I tried "Tahitian Treat" last week (it was next to RC Cola at the convenience store). Awful, it's supposed to be carbonated fruit punch. Tastes like cough syrup.

When I used to have to work at 6am every day in my teens, I would down a Tahitian Treat and a Coke for breakfast.

I know they had Pepsi RAW which was real sugar pepsi....so maybe they had the HFCS stuff all along.

I don't know, EU has placed a production quota for HFCS, which is probably the main reason we don't get it here. That would affect UK too.

Anyway, I actually tasted American and local Coke Cherry back to back the other day. Difference in taste isn't that big, and some of it is probably related to that other was in a can and other in a plastic bottle. American version had a mild funny aftertaste.
In a terms of calories our cane sugar version has 46 kcal/100ml and the American version has 42 kcal/100ml. You guys have 11.8 grams of sugars and we got 11.4 grams (/100ml).

Almond-scented stuff always smells like artificial cherry flavor to me, so I think they're just really close to each other.

This is because the main ingredient in Maraschino cherry syrup is almond extract and because maraschinos are what most people think of when they think of artificial cherries the almond flavor/smell is closely linked.

Also as of yesterday this will be of some use to those of you that like real sugar in their coke and live in or around places with high jewish population

Serious Eats: Passover Coke Guide.

This is because the main ingredient in Maraschino cherry syrup is almond extract and because maraschinos are what most people think of when they think of artificial cherries the almond flavor/smell is closely linked.

Also as of yesterday this will be of some use to those of you that like real sugar in their coke and live in or around places with high jewish population

Serious Eats: Passover Coke Guide.

yes. passover is in two weeks and we'll be stacking up in my house. not just because it's good, but because we have to convert our kitchen to passover.

also, had a burrito yesterday and a jarritos toronja. awesome stuff. i see that they have a cola too. have to try that.

Last edited:
Dammit I can't find any Passover Coke...we need more Jews.

and my mom's a health nut, so there's only seltzer in our house right now.... gatdamnit.

EDIT: I have my supply. sippin' on passover coke... laid back, with my mind on my matza and my matza on my mind.

Last edited:
Good stuff, IMO it's the best of the cheap mass market Root Beers. Though I was very pleasantly surprised by the Price Chopper brand. Usually store brand sodas are pretty terrible but their Root Beer is quite good.