Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Sorry to hear that, I know the car holds sentimental value for you but as you say it may make sense to sell it while you can. As far as a replacement, I guess it depends on your budget, but there are plenty of cars that tick both boxes.

EDIT: Miatas do have a trunk, a pretty decent one actually for the size of the car.

Sorry to hear that, I know the car holds sentimental value for you but as you say it may make sense to sell it while you can. As far as a replacement, I guess it depends on your budget, but there are plenty of cars that tick both boxes.

EDIT: Miatas do have a trunk, a pretty decent one actually for the size of the car.

The problem is mostly the weight, because the miatas are nice lightweight cars they would probably slide down the hill like a sled if trucks are having issue getting traction. You of course know this as you have a light rwd mazda and you have mentioned it's poor snow performance. :lol:

That is one thing that was very good about my car, the snow handling. Even on all season tires it even out preformed mom's outback. Eh, I don't want another convertible much anyway.

AWD MX-5 with a plow blade then :nod:

And where would I obtain that? :p

Should I make a help me pick a car thread? Or is adding to that overdoneness just obnoxious?

Last edited:
Well if you are going to do that just stick a engine big enough to haul the weight in the bug and make it AWD with a snow plow and I'll be plenty happy :lol:

I know it's on the way out. It's one big thing away from being totaled and I think the transmission is on the way out, so this was rather expected. It's not dead yet but if I trade it in now I can actually get some money for it.

There is the manner of sensible vs. I am an idiot and want a toy to deal with on the replacement...

I'm on the same boat as you. My Cavalier probably won't last much longer, either ("It was rubbish when it was new, it was built by idiots, and it's rubbish now!" -JC).

If I could buy a new car right now, it would be...

Color: So long as it's not pink, green, or canary yellow, I don't really care, though bonus points if it's black or red.
Body Style: Sedan or hatch, so long as it's got 4-doors (for friends and other crap).
Size: Considering how tight parking spaces can be around here, compact-to-midsize (about the same size as my Cavalier, maybe a little smaller).
Engine: With my budget, a 4-banger will have to do, so long as it's not weak and pathetic.
Gearbox: Not really important, though a manual would be nice.
Interior: Cloth and ideally beige (black interiors are horrible on those really hot summer days).
Options: Power locks, windows, and mirrors at the least. Cruise control, Bluetooth, sunroof, and Ipod connectivity (AUX) would be a bonus, but I can live without them.
Suspension: Nothing too firm. Something that absorbs bumps well, but doesn't let the car roll like a boat.
Steering: So long as it's not heavy nor light and numb...

In summary, I'm looking at maybe a Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Fiesta, Honda Civic, Fit, VW Golf/Jetta, Chevy Cruze (Test drove one and it's actually a decent car. 10 times better than the Cobalt/Cavalier IMO), or...dare I say it?...Toyota Corolla (if i can get a great deal on one, why not?).

If money wasn't an issue, I would most likely throw most of the above away and get something with a thumping-great V8, because after test driving a Camaro SS, I've found that the power of a V8 is quite addicting ("power corrupts" :D ). Pontiac G8/Holden Commodore, maybe? :p

- Dan

Last edited:
I'm an oddball, but that aint nothing new.

It's confusing that 'car' people are always going on about how cars have gotten to bulky and heavy, yet heated seats, leather and automatic everything are considered 'essential options' these days.....

I hate heat, so aircon is a must, cruise control because my leg starts hurting like all hell on long drives whithout, and a proper stereo.....'essential' list done.

heated mirrors are nice :blush:

The problem is mostly the weight, because the miatas are nice lightweight cars they would probably slide down the hill like a sled if trucks are having issue getting traction. You of course know this as you have a light rwd mazda and you have mentioned it's poor snow performance. :lol:

That is one thing that was very good about my car, the snow handling. Even on all season tires it even out preformed mom's outback. Eh, I don't want another convertible much anyway.

And where would I obtain that? :p

Should I make a help me pick a car thread? Or is adding to that overdoneness just obnoxious?

I have also mentioned that with proper tires, I have never once gotten stuck or even come in danger of doing so. To be fair, my hill is not that steep, probably not as steep as yours. I am not advocating a Miata as a winter car just saying it can be done.

I would probably consider it more if I could actually take the top down, but it just seems like a waste when I can only use it the few days a year that are warm at night. :/

If I were to go car shopping today...my requirements would be:

Alloy wheels
Cloth Seats
Power Windows/Locks/Mirrors
Auto climate control
Black/beige two-tone interior (or beige in general) - Haters gonna hate...whatever...I need this. :p
uplevel audio system w/Aux jack for phone/mp3 player
Bluetooth would be nice

Would be nice:
Sunroof
Manual transmission

things in bold go under the "not needed" category for me
manual is an absolute must though in Europeania they are standard

srsly, alloys #1????

In summary, I'm looking at maybe a Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Fiesta, Honda Civic, Fit, VW Golf/Jetta,Chevy Cruze (Test drove one and it's actually a decent car. 10 times better than the Cobalt/Cavalier IMO), or...dare I say it?...Toyota Corolla (if i can get a great deal on one, why not?).
you're confusing sizes, there's quite a big size difference between a Fiesta and a Focus....
I'd compare the Golf to the Focus and be done with it... Fiesta is a good alternative

dunno about the Hondas really

Mazda 3 and focus also have the same chassis I think (?)

For me wheels don't have to be that great looking, but steelies in the summer just don't work in modern car. Saving money and running steelies and the cheapest paint available (like plain red new Mercedes) just gives pretty loud "This is just consumable for me" message. And you can find used wheels for really cheap.

Edit: some really cheap looking colours work well sometimes (red C63 is hot), but boring paint, black door handles and mirrors and steelies is the look I'd like to avoid.

Last edited:
Power windows are pretty nice, it's a pain to roll down the passenger side. Locks aren't quite as important unless you have a 4-door.

you're confusing sizes, there's quite a big size difference between a Fiesta and a Focus....

...I said compact-to-midsize. Everything on that list fits in that range...

Last edited:
Power locks, windows and mirrors are a given for me. Windows are not so much required as a nice to have. Locks (with remote) is a dead requirement. No power locks, I don't want it. Going into the car to unlock the rear doors first really doesn't work when there's 2 little girls that need to go into the back seats. Not having to walk up to the driver's door first is also nice. I also won't buy a car without a passenger power mirror. Don't care how the driver's side mirror is operated, as long as I can do the passenger side one from my seat.

Note: These requirements are for a daily driver. For a weekend tool, the requirements can be listed as follows: If it ain't on there it don't weigh me down.

Last edited:
heated mirrors are nice :blush:

:nod: Especially in wet/cold areas. Visibility > *

Power windows are pretty nice, it's a pain to roll down the passenger side. Locks aren't quite as important unless you have a 4-door.

:nod: on the first, :shake: on the second :lol:

Combining power windows with power remote locks FTW.
In summer you can get rid of most of the heat before you even get to the car.

...I said compact-to-midsize. Everything on that list fits in that range...

I really don't like these classes of car sizes, but the Fiesta is a subcompact...

Here's a point why I don't like these classes ... apparently a Rolls-Royce Phantom is a mid-size car, same class as a MazdaSpeed 3.

Last edited:
Generally I'm happy as long as the vehicle has a rear-view mirror, turn signals and power brakes. :p

But lately I've been messing with this old Mercury; power-everything, silent as a tomb, leather seats, decent stereo, A/C, defrosters ... it's going to ruin me.

Generally I'm happy as long as the vehicle has a rear-view mirror, turn signals and power brakes. :p

But lately I've been messing with this old Mercury; power-everything, silent as a tomb, leather seats, decent stereo, A/C, defrosters ... it's going to ruin me.

That is how I was, with my only vehicle being my 1985 CJ7. However, after driving my F150 for 3 years, I am now totally spoiled with luxuries like cold A/C and power mirrors.

Pah. My MG dosen't even have a heater.

Ah, forgot defrost, absolutely essential, my previous car had it but it sucked... It works great in the RX. If I didn't have it there would be days that are just undrivable.

Last edited: