The "New Toys" Thread

Yep SSD is absolutely awesome, check to see what you need to do to enable TRIM support in OS X for your drive. By default Apple only enables it for Apple sourced SSDs.

Isn't TRIM support only just coming with Lion?

Isn't TRIM support only just coming with Lion?

Snow Leopard has TRIM enabled for Apple SSDs, so if you buy a new MBP with an SSD drive from factory TRIM is enabled. If you get an HDD based one and later add SSD (even if it's an Apple sourced one) it will not be enabled. Lion will have it enabled by default but again it will only be for "Apple" SSDs (they are Toshiba in reality I think). As killpanda posted there are instructions on how to do it for any SSD.

I know it's silly to ask considering the company in question, but what the balls is that about?

I know it's silly to ask considering the company in question, but what the balls is that about?

They basically don't want to mess with supporting anything 3rd party more or less. It's typical Apple they promise "just works" stability but the tradeoff is them only supporting limited hardware.

Last edited:
14-121-419-TS

Sold my Gigabyte HD5770 and upgraded to an ASUS HD6850 for $30!!!!

Now see, thats a great deal! :O

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2011/04/06/41x3Zh-GozL._AA300_.jpg

Coby 8GB MP620-8GBLK

I got it because I wanted a cheap MP3 player that I could leave plugged into my car at all times. It was getting really tedious plugging in my iPhone then having to double click the home button then tap play on the screen to play music every time I got in the car. I've got this one rigged up all nice with some Velcro so it's sitting on my center console like iDrive or something. :cool:

I'm also amazed at how cheap these things are. This one was $20 less than my first ever MP3 player that held a whopping 512MB. :lol:

kindle-3.jpg

Kindle 3 Wifi.

Because I read 500 pages a week and my phone deserves a break.

Will be here tomorrow.

Bought my first gaming console ever in Korea yesterday. Got back this morning. I'm cyberjunk1e on PSN.
2044865940_20101202095924_playstation-3-slim.jpg

Kindle 3 Wifi.
Because I read 500 pages a week and my phone deserves a break.
Will be here tomorrow.

You're going to love it.

Bought one for my wife a few weeks ago. She loves it. It's a great piece of tech, and I'll probably get myself one if I ever have time to read again.

I kind of want to go back to school just so I can justify getting the DX.

I kind of want to go back to school just so I can justify getting the DX.

Do they actually have a lot of textbooks in electronic format to make a Kindle-like device feasible for a student?

Either way, I can think of one good reason why electronic textbooks are lame - zero resale value. From what I understand, electronic textbooks cost the same as the printed versions (for the convenience factor I suppose) but unlike the printed versions you can't sell them at the end of the term to recoup a bit of your money.

Do they actually have a lot of textbooks in electronic format to make a Kindle-like device feasible for a student?

No. At least not for an engineering student. I bought a nook with the intention of doing that and discovered that none of my textbooks were available in electronic form.

The problem is that most engineering textbooks are too specialized.

Yeah, come to think of it as a humanities student I probably could have got most of my books electronically if they were around back then. I had to buy and read a lot of traditional books that weren't exactly textbooks, paperback works from past centuries that cost under $20.

But then again, even I had to buy a few of those 1,000+ page hardcovers that cost hundreds of dollars. Those would still have the resale problem I mentioned above... plus I heard page numbers are messed up on many electronic books and considering how important proper citations are to a student, another possible dealbreaker?