I want candy... dun dada dada dun dun... I want candy

It's not an English term, I don't believe there is a racist connotation to it.

Well, the German word "Negerkuss" is still used unofficially among most people here. Officially it isn't written on the packages anymore, though. I don't think it is a racist term and it defnitely isn't meant derogative in any way (how could it? It's a candy!). It's a fixed term nobody is really thinking about, when they use them. I don't think there is any connection to coloured people in the heads of a customer, when he asks for a Negerkuss in a bakery.

I believe they were first invented in 19th century France and the Germans simply turned the term "?T?te de n?gre? (Negro head) into "Negerkuss" (Negro's kiss), which is a lot friendlier, if you ask me. However, the term became officially a victim of "political correctness". Yet it is still being used, because every manufacturer came up with their own name of the same product and people rather have one simple name for the same thing.

However, the name changes didn't do anything to make the product less delicious :)

Schaumkuss-1.jpg

Last edited:
Negro is just the word for the color "black" in many languages.

I'm just surprised such a blatantly racist term is still being perpetuated.

It's not an English term, I don't believe there is a racist connotation to it.

we call them negro tits, and they seem to be a whole lot smaller than the ones you have...

200px-Melo_Cake_of_Mallo_met_doorsnede.jpg

(the translation points to the people, not the color black)

Last edited:
Do they also have a waffle as bottom? On the picture is looks more like a cookie bottom.

no, some kind of crunchy sand-biscuit

The old Danish word for them would be negro buns (as in a scone or simular, not booty). Now they are called cream buns (fl?deboller). It is my impression most people below 60 years uses that now...

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/m3/m3lover/2011/04/04/fl__deboller.jpg

These are the ?ber version with a thick crispy waffle, a layer of marzipan and a generous layer of chocolate.

Negro is just the word for the color "black" in many languages.

Basically this, or what MacGuffin said if you're looking for more detail. Negro is the colour black and kiss is the same thing as Hershey Kisses.

They don't really sell them here so I don't know, but I'm guessing the reason they were renamed was to be politically correct and not because they actually referred to people of African descent.

we call them negro tits, and they seem to be a whole lot smaller than the ones you have...

200px-Melo_Cake_of_Mallo_met_doorsnede.jpg

(the translation points to the people, not the color black)

Okay, so you're saying you guys actually do call them something racist. Good for you!

Anyway... those seem like what we have here, so quite different than the stuff from Germany or Denmark. It's got biscuit instead of wafer at the bottom and the marshmallow filling isn't nearly as creamy.

If you're looking for the "That didn't go well" category of unintentional racism, I present you the following weekly sandwich board of a big bakery chain in Eastern Germany:

5589589898_83273bf533_o.jpg

This is fail on several levels.

Firstly to present a cake called "Schokotraum" (choco dream) with the picture of a coloured baby. According to the bakery, it's the son of a coloured employee and they're showing the "child of the month" on their sandwich boards regularly, instead of a piece of cake.

Secondly there's the writing underneath the picture (which is of course mandatory by law): Picture is just a serving suggestion.

There have been reports about pedestrians kicking down those boards in anger and customers shaking their fists in the face of saleswomen behind the counter. Could have been worse, though: Could have happened in a country, where a large amount of the population are actually coloured people.

Last edited:
My contribution to this thread:

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eye-q/2011/04/04/Candies.jpg

Is that roe or something? Gross!

Edit: Looks like chopped pork... still gross.

Last edited:
So do you actually like that combo, or is it your first time buying it?

They only sell a few flavours of Ritter Sport here and they are all pretty restrained. I found some on sale again yesterday but didn't buy any because the only one that interested me is the Knusperkeks. I bought two packs of Lindt Excellence coconut instead, sale was even better on those. :D

I suppose it was this year's April fool by Ritter...

I hope nobody here believed, that such a flavour really exsists.

Came a bit late as an April fool's joke, though ;)

The only reason I questioned myself was because the photo on the wrapper doesn't look too pro.

A few years ago I'd have though chocolate with chili pepper or sea salt in it was strange, so...