The "New Toys" Thread

:eek: Holy crap, what exactly do you read?!

Harcore Sci-Fi Opera.

I just burned through Kevin J. Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns septology (Good, but too long with too many dumb plot elements), I also read a lot of Hamilton, Reynolds, Williams, etc.

It's fun stuff, nice and relaxing, and I read on the 40-ish minute train ride each way to and from class daily.

If I can buy textbooks on it I will, but it's mostly for leisure.

Edit: It'll be here tomorrow morning. I broke down and got the 1-day shipping for 3.99 (student amazon prime ftw)

Last edited:
Portal-2.jpg

Well the Solid State Drive deal fell through so I picked up an IPS monitor instead

url

It's the 21.5 not the 23 (mainly because I wanted it to match my shitty 21.5 TN panel.)

Last edited:
So er, I got a 3DS? And I managed to save some money to build a desktop computer too.

The 3DS is the main point of the thread though. I can post pictures if people want (just say so). I got Super Street Fighter 4 3D with the 3DS. The graphics are as good as the PSP, I would say. The AR games are pretty fun. I sadly haven't had a lot of time to sit and use the AR and 3D games though. >:

So er, I got a 3DS? And I managed to save some money to build a desktop computer too.

The 3DS is the main point of the thread though. I can post pictures if people want (just say so). I got Super Street Fighter 4 3D with the 3DS. The graphics are as good as the PSP, I would say. The AR games are pretty fun. I sadly haven't had a lot of time to sit and use the AR and 3D games though. >:

You're supposed to start by posting pics

Last edited:
Samsung Monitor.

It has speakers. It could be used as a TV if you have the right cables. My satellite setup is on the other side of the room and I fear that I would trip over the cables.

One of my friends has a 25.5" Samsung monitor/tv type of thing that has a remote too. (I wanted speakers on my monitor because I am quite strange.)

Personally I like his better. xD I wouldn't tell him that though.

right, a few days ago, i got these:
Dell Optiplex 745 1.83GHz 65nm C2D, 2GiB RAM, 80GB WD somethingortheother HD, Intel X3100 GPU. For use as ghettoserver. (came with free kb/mouse too)
https://pic.armedcats.net/z/ze/zedestructor/2011/04/08/Image_346_.jpg
Acer AL2016W 20.1" LCD. 1680x1050
https://pic.armedcats.net/z/ze/zedestructor/2011/04/08/Image_348_.jpg

Together with the Dell machine, I got a whole computer for under AU$200. Quite a bargain if you ask me, considering my last graphics card cost me all of 200EUR

Netgear DM111Pv2. I bricked the first one from flash (shitty model with no recovery system), so now I have two sets of vertical stands which I'm using to reduce temps by getting more ground clearance.
https://pic.armedcats.net/z/ze/zedestructor/2011/04/08/Image_347_.jpg

My whole setup: Acer 5920G (with MUCH faster ATi Radeon HD 4650 and 2.5GHz 45nm C2D) hooked to 20" LCD, dell KB, Logitech G500 mouse, Harman/Kardon Sounsticks 3 (2.1 system), Netgear WNDR3700 router, Netgear DM11Pv2 ADSL2+ modem and a pack of TimTams for "refuelling purposes"
https://pic.armedcats.net/z/ze/zedestructor/2011/04/08/Image_349_.jpg

Last edited:
So, my new shitty router is better than my old shitty router in day to day casual use, aka. visiting websites and so on.

I just downloaded a torrent though.. Was downloading with 3-400kb/s, and it was choking on it :lol: Would only load pages like 1 in 3 times. Got all better when I was done downloading :D

So er, I got a 3DS?

You sound uncertain. :lol:

I went to try out the 3DS the day it came out. Just like all other 3D stuff I've tried, I got no effect. :(

I love that electric blue colour though, it's so awesome. I could buy it just for that.

I eventually replaced my 2005 Canon Ixus 30 compact cam. To stop the pro-photographers right here: I know its crap in your eyes, but from where i am coming (the Ixus) its a whole universe better.

canon-eos-1000d-&-18-55-&-75-300-twin-lens-kit-lrg.jpg

Basically everything is readable on the pic, but the short numbers:
- Canon EOS 1000d
- EF-S 18-55mm II (yeah.. the "crappy" non-IS predecessor of the equivalent IS-version)
- EF 75-300mm III

Pricetag: 399? all together

And just for the start these two items:

8GB SDHC Class10
027.528.598.jpg

Tripod 60-153cm
hamastar61.jpg

I know if i really care about photography I'll replace the lenses soon with proper ones etc pp, but for me its a sufficient starterkit.

You sound uncertain. :lol:

I went to try out the 3DS the day it came out. Just like all other 3D stuff I've tried, I got no effect. :(

I love that electric blue colour though, it's so awesome. I could buy it just for that.

Well I didn't know if anyone really wanted pictures. All I've been seeing on the 'nets are trolls saying how it sucks.

Actually, even with the 3D turned off the graphics are pretty nice (at least on SSF43D). The AR games are hard to use without 3D though.

I think I've heard of problems depending on your eyesight. Some people who are farsighted have reported issues with the 3D effect.

I do like the blue color, it's nice with the two-tone. My friend got a black one and it doesn't quite look as good I think. There will be a red one sometime soon too supposedly.

I love the AR card games, that's actually the thing that most interested me about it and what I went to check out in person on launch day.

I'm not farsighted though I can see that posing a problem. I think you need to have similar vision in both eyes for most 3D technology and that's my issue with it, I have noticeably poorer vision in one eye.

And agreed, the black 3DS is lame-o. I don't understand why they didn't do two two-tone colours, who picks black when you can have black and blue?

So, my new shitty router is better than my old shitty router in day to day casual use, aka. visiting websites and so on.

I just downloaded a torrent though.. Was downloading with 3-400kb/s, and it was choking on it :lol: Would only load pages like 1 in 3 times. Got all better when I was done downloading :D

Why not get a good one instead of a slightly less shitty one?

Because our old one would refuse to work with some webpages, so that was a major annoyance. This one doesn't have that issue at least. This I can work with :)

But yes, I have accepted that at some point I will have to do a larger investment :)