Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

no, i didn't say that. to you i just want to proof that "it's different" is the worst criteria ever to buy a car :lol:

A Belgian Astra driver, everyone.

any choice is a bad one...
And if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice ...

/get it out of my heaaaadddddddddddd %$#@

Last edited:
I'm currently nervous as shit. Waiting for the insurance adjuster to call back regarding what they intend to do with my Oldsmobile.

Weeeeeee

So first solo of the season is coming up so I got these, (15" RPF1's, wrapped with Yoko S-Drives, couldn't justify an extra $250 for RE11s)

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/tw/twerp129/2011/04/15/photo.jpg

Better yet! I checked the pre-registration, and my middle school bully is on the list with a fourth-gen Mustang with 19" or 20" chrome rims. Karma :D

Did you move to Australia?

Just went and test drove one of these:

fj.jpg

And I quiet liked it. Its got character and charisma (everyone was staring at the car), its surprisingly refined and its got a fair bit of up-and-go. The interior plastics are pretty rubbish, but the styling is certainly different from the Toyota norm. Rolls around quiet a bit and the brakes don't seem to bite enough though, and the rear 3/4 visibility is rubbish (e.g. Changing lanes on the freeway I had to look twice to make sure there wasn't another car in the way).

The front of the body cracks off on those and they have body flex issues that result in the windshield cracking. No known fix; though it's thought that the 07-08 models are more prone to it, cracks have been observed in later production models as well. Supposedly the 2010 and later won't do it, but, uh, they said that about the 2008s... and the 2009s...

DSC02588.jpg

FenderCrack.jpg

Last edited:
Is the FJ a unibody or truck?

Unibody pretending to be a truck.

Edit: Nope, I was confusing it with the other Camry-based Toyota 'trucks'. It actually has a frame. It must be made of spaghetti or something.

Last edited:
Is the FJ a unibody or truck?

Iirc the FJ is body on frame...I think 4 Runner related.

To Wikipedia I go!

Edit : damn sniped by spectre :p

What's especially amusing is Toyota's automatic response when queried about the problem - they have actually told owners that they shouldn't have taken the FJ offroad. Uhh....

What's even funnier is Toyota's reaction when they're told the car hasn't been offroad and that it's just been a mall crawler.

Seems to be hit or miss in that case as to whether they fix it (even under warranty) or not.

Speaking of Toyotas, mum informs me she's interested in a late model RAV4 so the brother can lug his stuff around. I know bollocks about them, all I know is that his stuff will fit, easily. I think she needs to look at other small SUV type things. She's already looked at a Kluger and declared it 'too big' - which is true, one wouldn't actually fit under our stupidly low garage roller door. :lol: It's also a bit too expensive for something that's going to be scratched and dinged up by having a drum kit and amps dragged in and out of it all the time.

I personally think she should just let him save up for his own heap of junk eg: old Magna or something, and she should get something decent for herself. But, since when are parents going to listen to their 'kids'? :wall:

If your brother has a license and is going to abuse the car he really should get his own.

Speaking of Toyotas, mum informs me she's interested in a late model RAV4 so the brother can lug his stuff around. I know bollocks about them, all I know is that his stuff will fit, easily. I think she needs to look at other small SUV type things. She's already looked at a Kluger and declared it 'too big' - which is true, one wouldn't actually fit under our stupidly low garage roller door. :lol: It's also a bit too expensive for something that's going to be scratched and dinged up by having a drum kit and amps dragged in and out of it all the time.

I personally think she should just let him save up for his own heap of junk eg: old Magna or something, and she should get something decent for herself. But, since when are parents going to listen to their 'kids'? :wall:

The Rav-4 wasn't an amazing car when it was new, now its just horribly outdated and outclassed. The interior is a major let down and that side-hinged tailgate is stupid. I'd recommend pretty much anything else short of a Great Wall or Chery. Get her to look at the Kia Sportage and/or the Hyundai ix35 for a kick-off. The X-Trail is a good tool and has a ton of room, too. But every car has it's good points and it's a huge market - Including those already mentioned, you have the CR-V, Outlander, Pug 3008 and 4008, Tiguan, CX-7, Forester, Koleos, and I'm probably forgetting a few. Forget the Craptiva. There's plenty of decent wagons around that price too, such as the Mondeo, Octavia, Mazda6, i30CW and you can get a very well equipped Peugeot 308 wagon for basic soft roader money. However I wouldn't blame your mother for not wanting another Pug after her experiences.

Buy a Skoda Yeti.

All that said,

If your brother has a license and is going to abuse the car he really should get his own.

This.

Last edited:
A Belgian Astra driver, everyone.

i didn't buy it, my boss gave it me

together with an unlimited fuel card it does the job quite good

people aren't cutting me off, and it doesn't attract attention from the cops...
= staying under the radar

RE: FJs. I've personally witnessed one get stuck in 6 inches of snow in a parking lot. Tires spinning and all, it needed to be pushed out. That tells me right there they aren't capable of much of anything from the factory.