The Android thread

Anybody remember this?

graphic,apple,design,george,kokkinidis,gizmodo,industry-c1d338da0712be8e5bd894be8ad09e1f_h.jpg

Well, if I had to pick one Android device that comes closest to the iPhone design I'd pick the Galaxy S phones in a heartbeat, both in terms of software and hardware.

So legally speaking, I'm not sure. But I agree that Apple are being faggots, why even bother litigating while you're so ahead of the curve? Before the iPhone Apple was a relative nothing, and now with their iOS devices they are on top of the consumer electronics world, and their massively litigious behaviour the last little while is a sign that they just stumbled upon this success and have no clue if they can actually continue being at the top.

Seriously, anyone who is astute enough to see the similarities between the iPhone and the Galaxy S phones knows that Apple was first to the market with that design, they aren't going to look at an iPhone 4 and say "hey, those guys in Cupertino totally ripped off Samsung!!!!11!!!!!1!!!" So why are Apple even bothering? I don't even know if companies should be able to patent what some of these tech companies have patents on, but Samsung is obviously the copycat here so just let 'em be.

Last edited:
Engadget said:
Want some numerical context to last night's revelation that Apple is suing Samsung Electronics for copying the iPhone and iPad? How does $5.7 billion sound? That's how much Apple spent on buying up parts from Samsung last year, according to the AFP, which cites the Cupertino company as Samsung's second-biggest client after Sony. Given the breadth of Samsung's component manufacturing, these expenditures can and probably do span everything from flash storage and RAM to processing chips to displays. What's fascinating here -- and illustrative of the psychopathic nature of corporations -- is that in spite of this massive interdependency, Apple's lodged a broadly worded patent assault on a major prong of Samsung's business (smartphones and tablets) and now Samsung's been quoted as saying it has "no choice but [to] respond strongly." A company official has apparently expressed the belief that Apple may be infringing on some of Samsung's wireless patents, which means we can probably look forward to another fat batch of papers being submitted to the Northern District of California court. Lovely.

This can only end well. Time to get the popcorn.

this is why i don't buy apple products

I don't buy Apple products (iOS) because they don't do half the stuff I expect from my electronics, all big multinational corporations are "douchebag" types.

I think Apple and Samsung will end up settling, this is the norm when it comes to patent litigation in the tech industry and in this case its even more likely because of the high interdependency between Samsung and Apple - Apple depends on Samsung for parts and Samsung depends on Apple for designs they can steal. :p

Apple does couple things well (engineering/tech-wise)

-They make some damn good and durable hardware (and I suppose you can call it attractive/trendy)
-Their devices are pretty well polished and integrated with each other. As in, they seem to pay attention to the details to make it user-friendly (generally).

Of course, all this comes at a premium of cost as well as openness/accessibility, but that's up to the general public to decide whether it's worth it. Otherwise you can find comparable or superior hardware/software on the Win/Android side for equal/less money.

And yes, this software litigation shitstorm is stupid, if a bit entertaining. And don't forget the record/content labels that are already on Amazon's tail, and will probably soon be on others, as more tech moves toward the "cloud/streaming."

Last edited:
So in other words, Apple wanted to pay even more for their parts from Samsung? Suing them seems like a short term gain long term loss scenario, since money for lawsuits comes from selling products, and from the sound of it they are selling a lot of product to Apple.

Its pretty silly to be fighting over this stuff. The Galaxy S phones are vaguely similar, but not really. Same with the software. Form follows function, and just because its vaguely similar doesn't mean a patent lawsuit is viable to me. Then again, I'm not a lawyer or corporate bigwig, so I probably see it differently.

Somebody forward that picture to Samsung's lawyers immediately!!!

BTW, loving my new Galaxy Tab. That brings the number of Android devices in my house to 5.

Last edited:
No, leave it. That shows that even an illiterate can see how stupid it is.

OK so when I got my HTC Desire last year the clock on the home screen showed the weather in whatever location I was in. Then for some reason, probably me, it stopped and defaults to London. I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to get it to revert back to updating to wherever I am.

Any clues, oh wise ones?

OK so when I got my HTC Desire last year the clock on the home screen showed the weather in whatever location I was in. Then for some reason, probably me, it stopped and defaults to London. I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to get it to revert back to updating to wherever I am.

Any clues, oh wise ones?

From what I recall, you need to go into the weather app and then into its settings where you can select different weather locations. There you should be able to set the default location shown on your home screen, including making it automatically locate you.

It's been at least six months since I've used a ROM with Sense though, I don't remember if this is how it was in Android or Windows Mobile. Can't hurt to try it until someone has a more definite answer.

Reactions: MWF

Any clues, oh wise ones?
It's not like the UK is that large and the weather can very *that* much! :p

But no, what Shawn said should work.

Reactions: MWF