Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I found 3 manuals, 5 autos, all the manuals were 2004s.

Also most of them were grey, which is one of the worst colors available on a car. I would rather have one with 5 different colors of paint than a grey one.

Last edited:
Looks like people really like to hang onto their Foresters / Outbacks / Liberty wagons - not that I can blame them. The one Outback we did find was a luxury spec 6cyl and far too much in terms of both k's done and price for what my mother is after. Finding a Liberty wagon around here seems about as likely as finding a 1mil diamond lying in the middle of the footpath. Plenty of sedans, though. While we had a same problem with the Foresters, the used ones have been driven into the ground (and were mainly manuals anyway) and ex-demos in the current shape are too expensive. Mum doesn't want to spend more than 30k AUD on her next car.
We've also ruled out Mitsubishi Outlanders / ASX's (not enough room), Suzuki Grand Vitara (side-opening door + not enough room), and Nissan X-Trails (hard to find in Auto with less than 100,000k's on the clock).

TBH a white ex-fleet BF MKII Falcon XT is looking the best bet so far....and for less than 20K AUD too. There are several examples around town, and by comparing them we're trying to work out which one would be best with $'s vs k's covered. My brother is not a car guy in any way shape or form and so he won't care about driving around in pov-spec white Falcon. :shrug:

:cry:
I don't want a VW.. but I want that. Even though it means adding a few more years on living with my mom. Everything I want is too expensive because all the not trashed used cars are worth way more due to economy. (Ex, mom actually would have bought a 2009 pre-lift and bloat outback but the low mileage ones were almost as expensive as a brand new one, so she just bought the new one instead)Also, since used cars you don't get to pick the option you end up with lots of 20k 2006 miatas with leather and heated seats, so I would only save 3k having to pay for shit I don't want or flat out hate. <_<

Hmm...G8 V6? There's a few models for around 20k surprisingly: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tr..._lsbx=0&_fspt=0&_flso=0&Make=Pontiac&Model=G8

Looks like people really like to hang onto their Foresters / Outbacks / Liberty wagons - not that I can blame them. The one Outback we did find was a luxury spec 6cyl and far too much in terms of both k's done and price for what my mother is after. Finding a Liberty wagon around here seems about as likely as finding a 1mil diamond lying in the middle of the footpath. Plenty of sedans, though. While we had a same problem with the Foresters, the used ones have been driven into the ground (and were mainly manuals anyway) and ex-demos in the current shape are too expensive. Mum doesn't want to spend more than 30k AUD on her next car.
We've also ruled out Mitsubishi Outlanders / ASX's (not enough room), Suzuki Grand Vitara (side-opening door + not enough room), and Nissan X-Trails (hard to find in Auto with less than 100,000k's on the clock).

TBH a white ex-fleet BF MKII Falcon XT is looking the best bet so far....and for less than 20K AUD too. There are several examples around town, and by comparing them we're trying to work out which one would be best with $'s vs k's covered. My brother is not a car guy in any way shape or form and so he won't care about driving around in pov-spec white Falcon. :shrug:

I know around here used Subaru's have insane resale value. (thanks...winter...<_<)

This might sound too obvious, but since you mentioned the Falcon I remembered it...have you looked into early Territory's? Surely those should be less than 30k?

Last edited:

One of my dad's mates bought a BF MKI wagon, povspec white on gas for about 3k from the auctions, spent 1k on stuff for rego + rwc.

Comfortable, spacious, relatively good on fuel (LPG) reg'd and roadied for like 5 grand.

More than enough power too for towing/lugging around drums.

This might sound too obvious, but since you mentioned the Falcon I remembered it...have you looked into early Territory's? Surely those should be less than 30k?

We did look at those early on, but all we have found have done well over 100,000 k's. Mum's ideally wanting something that has done less than 80. I keep telling her that the k's shouldn't matter so long as the car has been well-maintained, and it's clearly severely restricting her choices (as is both her and my brother being auto only drivers). But, getting her to listen to me is another thing altogether.

One of my dad's mates bought a BF MKI wagon, povspec white on gas for about 3k from the auctions, spent 1k on stuff for rego + rwc.

Comfortable, spacious, relatively good on fuel (LPG) reg'd and roadied for like 5 grand.

More than enough power too for towing/lugging around drums.

I do think a good example of one would be ideal if I can steer her in that direction and away from more SUV type things. Problem is, she won't have the LPG option, and doesn't like the 6cyl fuel consumption.....like a 4cyl Auto RAV4 loaded with heavy equipment is going to do much better. :wall:

Last edited:
Hahah.

Good luck finding a Falcon on LPG with less than those km's for your price, let alone a Subaru new enough.

Exactly... :glare:

Even the RAV4's we looked at were all close to or 30k plus. I'm about ready to strangle the both of them, demand they learn (or re-learn) manual, drop the worrying about k's and having LPG (srsly it isn't dangerous or anything!) and open their goddamn options up! :lol:

kat, how about one of these? The car that almost made Spectre go GM. :eek:

800px-2004_Pontiac_GTO_2_--_02-26-2010.jpg

Exactly... :glare:

Even the RAV4's we looked at were all close to or 30k plus. I'm about ready to strangle the both of them, demand they learn (or re-learn) manual, drop the worrying about k's and having LPG (srsly it isn't dangerous or anything!) and open their goddamn options up! :lol:

You could buy a Great Wall.

lol

One of the dealerships whose used car lot we browsed yesterday sells Great Walls. I'm proud to say the moment we saw the utes and that SUV thingy (and before anyone noticed we were poking around) mum exclaimed 'EWW!' out-loud. :lmao:

He must have not realized you were racing him :p

But seriously - you don't want to buy a 5-6 year old car from a dead manufacturer, but you are okay with buying one that is older and has been out of production for a while (unless you are considering the current generation Miatas).

He must have not realized you were racing him :p

But seriously - you don't want to buy a 5-6 year old car from a dead manufacturer, but you are okay with buying one that is older and has been out of production for a while (unless you are considering the current generation Miatas).
I was looking at current miatas, and maybe old ones that were totally dirt cheap. (like under 5k) which is a pretty big difference than buying a probably unreliable car that is 18k when I could get a brand new one I like better for 16.

Also, when I say it "beat" the pontiac I don't mean a race, I mean I was waiting at a light and the pontiac hit it head on and the thing denigrated and the guy had a cut on his arm, that was in 2005 and my car is still going.

It's true. He was thinking about getting one, but GM's excellent dealership network brought him back to reality.

kat, how about one of these? The car that almost made Spectre go GM. :eek:

I need to see evidence of that.

It's true. He was thinking about getting one, but GM's excellent dealership network brought him back to reality.

Yup. GM has well earned their hatred, but it isn't like I don't revisit things like that every so often to see if my opinion is still correct. (Suck it, people who think otherwise! :p)

It wasn't just the dealer network but GM Corporate that was fail. I'll go dredge up the post where I explained it (to save myself time) and link it back here, so edit in progress.

Edit complete. Here's the post.

Yeah, they did try to screw me. And in my case, it wasn't even a question of money.

What I wanted was simple - black GTO with black interior and the manual transmission. I went to or called literally every Pontiac dealer in a 250 mile radius. I didn't care about the price. I was willing to pay sticker (i.e., the dealer-marked up price on the window, not the invoice price) plus the usual fees, no haggling involved, immediate payment via wire transfer - an easy sale, right?

I experienced terrible customer service ("Leisure Suit Larry" would have felt right at home) and outright stupidity. *Nobody* would sell me what I wanted. They kept trying to foist off automatic cars or cars in colors other than black. Now here's the thing - I was willing to pay the window sticker price with no haggling - and still no Pontiac dealer would sell, find, or order what I wanted. It wasn't even a matter of "It doesn't come that way," which I could understand if that was the truth (it wasn't); it was purely "We can't be bothered to order it."

I even called GM's Customer Relations number to see if I could order one directly. I mentioned that I was coming in from the import world and was one of the "conquest" sales they so desperately wanted. I also complained about one dealer whose behavior I found particularly offensive. GM's reaction: "You have to order through your local dealer. Ya gonna buy a car from us or what?"

I chose "or what" and promptly did what I should have in the first place. I crossed the GTO off my list and bought a pre-owned Jaguar XKR convertible for *less* money.

And GM wonders why nobody will buy their product....

So there I am, walking around with a briefcase full of money and more money available via immediate wire transfer... and they won't sell me what I want. GM has earned everything they catch, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Which is the same reason I am not just saying "I will buy new bug". I do not trust VW to not fail so I have to assume the car only lasts as long as the warranty. <_<

Which is the same reason I am not just saying "I will buy new bug". I do not trust VW to not fail so I have to assume the car only lasts as long as the warranty. <_<

You are being generous, many don't even last that long, especially the automatics paired with TDIs. :p

I would be getting a manual 2.0 TSI :p
At least they would have to fix it for free.

I would be getting a manual 2.0 TSI :p
At least they would have to fix it for free.

"Oh dear, you seem to have abused this - the warranty doesn't cover abuse."

Check out the consumer complaints - not uncommon for VWNA to try to get out of fail by this technique. They're listed by several publications as having the worst customer service and dealer network of any of the major US market car brands.