Random Thoughts....

Interesting, I agree with the general premise of this article, but from the other end of the spectrum: all those for-profit colleges advertising vocational degrees on daytime TV. These companies and the lenders behind them are the new subprime mortgages, and unlike housing, it's much harder to foreclose on an education.

Education foreclosures are lobotomies.

So the last 2 grad schools I was waiting on for responses just came in today.

It's official. It's fucking official.

I've been rejected from EVERY school I applied to. Every single one.

Hey, LP - *hugs* How many programmes did you apply to?

I wouldn't take it personally, especially in this day and age. So many people going back to school right now with reduced/shitty job options, so there's obviously increased competition. As well, I'm sure you know it can often come down to supervisors liking another applicant's proposal more. With the amount of research you have under your belt, you're an absolutely stunning candidate for grad school, and GPA doesn't play AS HIGH a part as many seem to think in grad applications. I'd buck up, ask for feedback on your applications if possible as to reasons why you didn't get in, and do all you can for the next round of applications. Easier said than done, sure, but you still have plenty of time and this IS going to happen. Just will. :)

Am currently waiting to hear about a PhD programme myself! Could hear any time in the coming weeks. If I don't get in, I'm chalking it up to my proposal, and will get all the feedback I can in order to make myself more attractive for a Spring 2012 start. Sometimes it can take a couple of years to get into a programme; the fully paid/salaried Bournemouth PhD I applied for last year? Came second out of sixty applicants... *headdesk*

Last edited:

Ticket for me, please.

Okay, good news, bad news time.

Good news, I got to drive for the first time in a few months.

Bad news, I got to drive because I had to drive my mom to the hospital this morning. All we know is that she's been having a lot of pain in her left arm. It's possibly a pinched nerve, or a blood clot.

Today could have started off better for both of us...

Finnish is a tough language.

It's not surprising that you're finding it tough. It's not related to any of the "normal" European languages if I recall correctly. Keep plugging away. If my non-language-oriented mind can learn a forueign language, I'm sure you can handle Finnish :)

Somebody here asked me what I had against Barclays, perennial Most Incompetent Bank In The World award-winners. Well, let's see...it took them four weeks to open my account; required me to bring in all sorts of forms from my university, housing, passport, elementary school teachers and Boy Scout patrol leaders; took them 2 months to process my check that I used to open the account with; took 3 weeks to mail me my security details; took another month to mail me my bank card, which came when I was back in America for break; and now it's taken 4 weeks for them to close the account when they've promised me "5 working days," just to go over and over and over my security details that I've already confirmed with them the first time. Oh, and their website likes to crash on me and develop mysterious error messages for no particular reason.

And now they're charging me 30 pounds to close the account over the phone, which adds insult to injury. If they charge me the 5 pound monthly account maintenance fee on top of that, I may just set someone on fire.

I've had to Skype with them 5 times now (at least to close the account: I'd probably have enough minutes for a decent cell phone plan if I totaled all of it), which is amusing in itself: their customer service is absolutely top-notch. They've got that going for them. They're always incredibly polite and I'm never on hold for more than 5 minutes, which is impressive in itself?they really know how to make me feel less angry going in as well. The woman today, Nayab, sounded so apologetic when I told her my frustrations that it was like she had injured a family pet or something. She promised me that she would give me a call tomorrow (she better :shakefist:), and I will use the chance to talk to her supervisor and recommend her.

But their accounts department needs to lay off the booze. And then be set on fire.

You should have asked some Ukanians - its the money laundering regs that f**k up setting up accounts for Foreign Nationals. Personally I'd never ever use Barclays but then that is me.

My only complaint about BBC America right now is TOO MUCH ROYAL WEDDING STUFF.

Some of us prefer to watch other things that you show, and I don't think that many Americans are absolutely OBSESSED like you seem make us out to be (who watch BBC America) because Kate Middleton is the "American Dream"(stolen from the program they showed this morning as I was looking for a new channel). I just like watching Doctor Who, TG re-runs, and sometimes some of the interesting documentaries they show.

Ended up watching Fresh Prince. One of the only shows I know I can always find on some random channel that isn't boring and makes you think about real problems and issues that are still current today.

Also, even though I am working on a two page essay, I really do not want to write it. Harr harr. @_@

You think you have it bad? I'm so sick of the bloody thing I'm considering terrorist action in London that day myself.

I know, I can just turn off the TV, but it's quite annoying when one of the only two channels you can tolerate becomes as bad as E! (A US channel dedicated to celebs and their tomfoolery) is for an entire week (only good show on there is The Soup). Beyond that, most US TV in my opinion is just... bad. G4 used to be a tolerable channel (when it was about video games, IMAGINE THAT), but I pretty much blame that godawful cable company Comcast for ruining many things (like AT&T) and being the devil. Yes, they may rule the Internets in my town, but I still dislike them so very much and I hate that my money goes towards paying them anything.

(And for that, I am sometimes grateful that I live in a country that doesn't have any royals that are really -that- important. I hate that America is run by the companies and even those who speak out about it are sued or can be heavily criticized as being against America/the idea of free trade. It's not really free trade or choice when you shut out most competitors [Go with the evil or have nothing at all].)

edit: Yeah, but Fresh Prince wasn't an actual Prince, he was just being ridiculous, even the whole intro to FP is all just comical. But I like the show because it did go further than most shows do today with issues of racism, sexism, money, values, etc. It's one of the only shows from then that are still actually broadcast today too.

Last edited:
LP, just keep on doing what you're doing. I had that happen with a high school I wanted to go to rejecting me, but when I look back I don't mind it anymore. They missed out and I came out ahead I think. Sometimes you have to look at things from the other side even if they're hard to take in. Happy Birthday! :)

Thanks man :D

I agree wit dis guy.

Hokay.

Look at grad schools / Ph.D programs abroad. The application process over here in Germany is much more on the lines of "if the professor likes you/your CV you are in" then based on some scores. It's highly corrupt, as well, so if your mentor knows someone over here, it would help, but it still might be worth a try anyways.

That actually could work, and would be nice to get out for a bit, but I'm sure moving and things would be difficult. I'd have to also get a student visa right? Or are Americans allowed in for as long as they want? :lol:

Sorry LP - I went through the same thing back when I was considering studying classical piano at a conservatory. I applied to the UCs as academic backups, but I really wanted to study music (Eastman, Peabody, Juilliard, Royal College of Music, and Royal Academy of Music...) and after flying back and forth from the coasts for a month straight for auditions and thousands of bucks down the drain (bless my dear parents)... nadda. Yeah.

But hey, maybe this article will help - it's Peter Thiel, but hey, I kinda' like the guy:

:( I'm sorry to hear that dude. These places don't deserve our talents. And for the most part what I'm hearing is that they get tons of applications, lot more now than ever before so it might be tougher to get in. And I think that's exactly what your article said. Ha! Well there you go. Thank you for the advice and support.

Hey, LP - *hugs* How many programmes did you apply to?

I wouldn't take it personally, especially in this day and age. So many people going back to school right now with reduced/shitty job options, so there's obviously increased competition. As well, I'm sure you know it can often come down to supervisors liking another applicant's proposal more. With the amount of research you have under your belt, you're an absolutely stunning candidate for grad school, and GPA doesn't play AS HIGH a part as many seem to think in grad applications. I'd buck up, ask for feedback on your applications if possible as to reasons why you didn't get in, and do all you can for the next round of applications. Easier said than done, sure, but you still have plenty of time and this IS going to happen. Just will. :)

Am currently waiting to hear about a PhD programme myself! Could hear any time in the coming weeks. If I don't get in, I'm chalking it up to my proposal, and will get all the feedback I can in order to make myself more attractive for a Spring 2012 start. Sometimes it can take a couple of years to get into a programme; the fully paid/salaried Bournemouth PhD I applied for last year? Came second out of sixty applicants... *headdesk*

Second out of 60! Damn! That's a mighty feat in itself considering people like me don't even make it to the 60! Good luck with your application, will pray and hope. I applied to 8 programs, and next go-around I'm applying to more to improve my chances and open myself to masters programs as well. Thank you for the boost of spirit and wonderful comments <hugs>

Ehh, today is a good day. I'll go out and take some pictures and shizzle later onz to keep the spirits rolling. Right now I better focus on getting these problems solved at work. Codin time!

Well, hey, I'm not saying that I absolutely hate it and all with everything, I just don't really care to see American media obsess over it like it was the President's daughter or something. It seems very Un-American like to me. It's more that I hate the media, than the actual whole idea of the wedding itself.

Also I thought the whole bit that Kate Middleton was the embodiment of the "American dream" was outrageous and a little dumb. Yeah, I know she wasn't upper class or royalty, but seriously America? Seriously? I mean, congratulations to her for finding someone that she loves and cares about, that's great I am super glad and I don't mean any harm or meanness. I'm just annoyed/mad at fail American TV that even the two channels that I can watch are obsessing about it day and night (and have been for the last two weeks).

Interesting, I agree with the general premise of this article, but from the other end of the spectrum: all those for-profit colleges advertising vocational degrees on daytime TV. These companies and the lenders behind them are the new subprime mortgages, and unlike housing, it's much harder to foreclose on an education.

Very true, though I'm actually glad that someone came out and said it. Granted, as the article said, Thiel himself went to Stanford (boo!) for undergrad and grad school, hah.

Education foreclosures are lobotomies.

:lol:

Ehh, today is a good day. I'll go out and take some pictures and shizzle later onz to keep the spirits rolling. Right now I better focus on getting these problems solved at work. Codin time!

W00t - have fun!

I saw a picture today...it made me laugh...I made it my avatar.

That actually could work, and would be nice to get out for a bit, but I'm sure moving and things would be difficult. I'd have to also get a student visa right? Or are Americans allowed in for as long as they want? :lol:

As America is not only the greatest nation in the world, but saved us from the terrors of Nazism, Americans don't need a visa in Germany (to be honest, it has nothing to do with Nazis, i just like this tangent. Basically, if you're from a rich non-EU state, you don't need a visa). If you come to Germany to study all you'll have to do is register with the authorities within two weeks (like even Germans have to do when moving) and apply for a student's residency permit within three months.... In other EU countries the rules most likely differ cause we like to keep things complicated in the EU...

There's a catch, though: As an American friend of mine (he's doing some weird stuff with particles, colliders and space dust) just found out, the ESA will not employ non-EU citizens as their work still counts as defense-related. So that's a line of work that won't be open for you.

EDIT: He's working on something called HESS - maybe you can make some sense of that, LP. I surely can't.

Last edited: