The Android thread

Looks like HTC is riding the Swype coat tails with HTC Trace.

htctrace.png

Looks pretty nifty, really.

I used to use Swype on my old WinMo phone and got the beta version for Android, but it just doesn't quite work without a stylus. Maybe with a low friction screen protector on it might be better, but I got fed up very quickly and switched to Swiftkey.

My phone/finger is weird. Sometimes it slides smoothly, sometimes it doesn't. I can't find a pattern at all. But I know what you mean, when it's not smooth, Swype or anything else that requires drawing is just awful.

Rumour has it that Samsung will be releasing a Galaxy S III in September and want to replace their flagship model every 6-8 months from now on.

If its true, I bet they are quickly designing the III so that they can move away from the iPhone clone looks of the I and II now that Apple are suing them.

Rumour has it that Samsung will be releasing a Galaxy S III in September and want to replace their flagship model every 6-8 months from now on.

If its true, I bet they are quickly designing the III so that they can move away from the iPhone clone looks of the I and II now that Apple are suing them.

Interesting...I can't help but wonder how this affects US bound Galaxy S II devices. Each of the "big 4" carriers have Galaxy S I with their own customizations both physically and in software

We won't get anywhere near that quickly, might even miss generations. Carriers need to take a long time to properly ruin all the phones they sell.

Does anyone here actually use Firefox 4 on their Android?

I wanted to use it so I could import bookmarks and stuff easily, but I find it so slow to the point of almost being unbearable (I mostly use the stock browser, so that's my point of comparison).

No Flash support either... despite what some people say I come across plenty of Flash during my web browsing.

Does anyone here actually use Firefox 4 on their Android?

I wanted to use it so I could import bookmarks and stuff easily, but I find it so slow to the point of almost being unbearable (I mostly use the stock browser, so that's my point of comparison).

No Flash support either... despite what some people say I come across plenty of Flash during my web browsing.

No, I feel its too bulky for the platform (at least phone, dunno about tablet) and I've been happy with Dolphin Mini. The extensions and complete sync (better than crappy Chrome2Phone) are nice though. I wish Google would put out a mobile version of Chrome with extension/app support.

I think people are already confused enough between Android, Chrome OS and Chrome browser for computers. :lol:

I wish Xmarks had an Android app, I still use that since the pre-FF4 days.

The Android browser itself should really be a mobile version of Chrome, if you think about it.

The Android browser itself should really be a mobile version of Chrome, if you think about it.

Well it kind of is, right? They both use WebKit.

I meant more from a branding perspective, nobody knows why Google needs Android and Chrome OS and with Chrome browser as well it can get a little confusing.

Well, Android is for mobile phones and tablets, Chrome OS is for netbooks and the Chrome browser is for fully fledged operating systems. Makes perfect sense.

:unsure: What?

Chrome OS seems kinda silly to me. Uneducated masses can't cope with not-Windows, and everyone else can just use Ubuntu, or their favorite Linux distro.

Well, Android is for mobile phones and tablets, Chrome OS is for netbooks and the Chrome browser is for fully fledged operating systems. Makes perfect sense.

First of all, if they made the Android browser branded as Chrome then Chrome browser wouldn't be strictly for full fledged operating systems - that's what we were talking about.

Secondly, Chrome OS was supposed to be their tablet offering if you recall. Then they realized Android was a much better fit and they didn't do the right thing and kill off Chrome OS, now it's just a glorified web browser for machines that have the specs to run Windows 7.

First of all, if they made the Android browser branded as Chrome then Chrome browser wouldn't be strictly for full fledged operating systems - that's what we were talking about.

Secondly, Chrome OS was supposed to be their tablet offering if you recall. Then they realized Android was a much better fit and they didn't do the right thing and kill off Chrome OS, now it's just a glorified web browser for machines that have the specs to run Windows 7.

Chrome browser is very nice. Chrome OS is WTF. Problem is Google is expecting its users to live on the cloud 80% of the time, but that's just not gonna happen with the carriers holding its users hostage with data plans.

All I want is for Google to add tab, extensions, and some sort of sync (like FF4 for Android) to their default Android browser, then I would see no reason to use 3rd-party browsers on the phone.

Just use LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher instead then :p

Indeed, The TouchWiz experience goes beyond the launcher. The 4.0 widgets are nice, and don't forget about the GPU accelerated browser, a Samsung/TouchWiz exclusive IIRC.

Yeah, TW 4.0 looks to be ok-ish, aside from the launcher. I actually prefer phone/contacts stuff in TW over Sense D:

But fuck Samsung for making me want to eat my words. The GS2 looks amazing, and I want one badly.