Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Greatest roadtrip car is my families Chevy Suburban. Big, comfy, and with 2nd row captains and third row bench one of us can sleep in the back bench lying down. The 2nd row has nice armrests and plenty of room. The front seat is huge for large American sized asses. We could tow my cat out to the lakehouse and haul all our shit for a weeks vacation up there. It was awesome, the only thing we might have gotten instead was a diesel Excursion. Overkill for 4 people, but fuck it we are wasteful Americans.

Every Suburban I've ever driven is like trying to pilot a rudderless ocean liner, the steering wheel play is horrible on those.

Every Suburban I've ever driven is like trying to pilot a rudderless ocean liner, the steering wheel play is horrible on those.

I'd say boatlike is true, but since its all super straight highway it tracks straight so I never had a problem. It also held the bigass trailer and catamaran rock solid so it was good. I haven't driven any fifth wheel trucks, so I can't comment on how much better they are for towing.

Just keeping it going in a straight line means working that wheel like Perry Mason.

Just keeping it going in a straight line means working that wheel like Perry Mason.

:lmao:

I've had similar experiences driving my stepmom's beater Blazer. By the time I got back into the driveway I was shaking like a leaf...the steering was so loose feeling.

So glad we don't have that anymore.

huh, maybe its because mine is a different generation of blazer/suburban, (and a full size as well) but I've never had a problem with the steering. It's kind of dead feeling because of the excessively powerful power-steering, but its otherwise super tight. doesn't require any kind of corrections when I'm driving it. It's hardly precise, but little movements in the steering wheel definitely change the direction of the truck, (although not much) near instantly.

Taking into account possible VANOS problems, and replacement control arms...can anyone give me a good enough reason not to buy one of these?
2002 300Ci 5 speed manual, 95k miles

The car will still drive if the VVT fails. Obviously not preferred.

Taking into account possible VANOS problems, and replacement control arms...can anyone give me a good enough reason not to buy one of these?
2002 300Ci 5 speed manual, 95k miles

For $9k, I'd assume something is amiss, but that seems okay. The only problem is that it's an 8-9 year old car already with 95k on it and there's the possibility of VANOS issues down the road. Keep in mind that the car is black on black and will be awfully hot, even with tint.

The body work is better than mine (although I'd lose the spoiler), the interior is better than mine, but I have an extra gear :p

There is something weird about this seller. Several weeks ago they had advertised a S60R for $10,000 which was again awfully low. Yet, their inventory sells and they get all positive feedback.

But the more I think about it, I really don't want to get a BMW. It looks great, 3 liter straight six...but only 230hp? That's it?

If that's the case I prefer to get an S60 T5 with 250hp and smaller engine, so probably better on gas. (yeah, yeah...fail wheel drive. Truth is, I don't feel qualified enough to drive a RWD in the twisty Colorado mountains. I'll probably end up in a ditch.)

RWD isn't going to magically powerslide you around every turn. If you don't push it to the limit it will hardly make a difference, especially with "only" 230 HP (which is actually a pretty decent amount if you ask me).

Yes, but 250hp is better :) Plus, the turbo in the S60 provides more torque throughout the rev range.

I really don't know what I'm going to buy. It seems like I am looking for a rock solid, fast, good looking car that isn't too expensive...a.k.a. no such thing.

I am entertaining the idea of keeping my 850 forever and just getting a second "toy" car for the weekends. (I know what all of you are thinking, but please don't go there :)) Something like an early 90's MR2 turbo.

XJRs are cheap and meet those standards.

Also, the S60 doesn't make more torque off the line 'due to the turbo' - the turbo still takes a few to spool up. Blower cars have torque everywhere.

There is something weird about this seller. Several weeks ago they had advertised a S60R for $10,000 which was again awfully low. Yet, their inventory sells and they get all positive feedback.

But the more I think about it, I really don't want to get a BMW. It looks great, 3 liter straight six...but only 230hp? That's it?

If that's the case I prefer to get an S60 T5 with 250hp and smaller engine, so probably better on gas. (yeah, yeah...fail wheel drive. Truth is, I don't feel qualified enough to drive a RWD in the twisty Colorado mountains. I'll probably end up in a ditch.)

Lower displacement doesn't translate to better fuel economy especially with FI.

XJRs are cheap and meet those standards.

Also, the S60 doesn't make more torque off the line 'due to the turbo' - the turbo still takes a few to spool up. Blower cars have torque everywhere.

I'm not sure about the S60, but my 850 Turbo did have noticeable lag (though to be honest I did like that. Meeeeehhwowwowow).

Remind me to make a video of my 'normal' steering play, you might be surprised. I was told a story at a Land Rover garage where they were following a 1940s model and it was going dead straight, they couldn't work out how until they got alongside and saw the driver waving his arms around at the wheel like a madman. :lol:

Famous Jeep SJ bumper sticker: "I'm Not Drunk, This Is Just How The Jeep Drives!"