Honda earnings less than half of expectations

If I did not have a family and requirements to carry same around with me I'd take a Honda S2000 over say an MX-5 any day of the week.

Oh man, reading Blind's posts I remembered him having the speedo changed and the dealer did what, put a sticker with the old mileage in the car, didn't they?

Yeah, instead of setting the new odometer they just put a sticker on the car with the old mileage, which severely damaged the value of the car when I went to sell it. No dealer would even touch it, the best offer I got was 2K on trade for a basic used Ford Ranger.

My sister's 2001 Civic also required a cluster change while the speedo worked it was the fuel gauge that didn't and she sometimes drives long distances. Its not a bad car on reliability, but its the little things that make me wonder how cheap Honda got on certain things. The fuel door/trunk lever on her car is broken because the plastic connector gave up, the oil pan had a tiny hole burned through and the DRL relay for some reason doesn't work even though the actual DRLs work fine.

I had a 2004 Civic. My clutch linkage needed to be rebuilt twice, the brakes needed service (replacement and turned rotors) far more often than any other car I've owned, the road noise was terrible due to the lack of sound insulation, I personally had to reinstall several interior panels to try to reduce rattling and buzzing. The speedometer died and the whole instrument cluster had to be replaced, which caused my fallout with Honda.

I really don't have a problem with their product, but it is not the rock-solid-reliable car they claim it to be. The interior is cheap and they cut corners on construction. It certainly isn't worth the price. My real problem with Honda is that they seem to believe their own bullshit, they really think that their cars never ever break, ever. Any customer who comes to them with a complaint gets about as much respect as that crazy guy on the street corner shouting about how next week Jesus is returning to Earth in a UFO and smells like an elderly yak took a piss in each of his pockets.

While I havent quite had the same treatment as you, I can at least agree with your general sentiments..... We have a 2006 Civic (Euro one built in swindo) and it seems the same foibles aflict our car. Ok when we got it it was second hand but it felt tight as drum with nary a rattle. Fast forward one year and the whole interior sounds like its coming down around us.... creaks, groans and vibrations on the dash, from the airbag housing on the steering wheel, from the seat belt housings etc etc. The center console groans under any kind of lateral G, the gear stick surround clicks and cracks against itself, the center console/tunnel/arm rest has begun to detach from the floor as is made from such flimsy plastic that it doesnt actually hold its shape under load. Theres tons of knocking from the back end where the parcel shelf is, the rear suspension is pretty crude as it is, but the shocks make several knocking/banging noises when you reverse off the drive for the first time of the day. It sounds like somethings snapped. The drivers seat litterally squeals like a piggy under acceleration... its really annoying. In short its a pretty embarrasing car to give people rides in because it just sounds so poorly made

Theres no little insualtion in the doors so road noise and tyre roar are prominent and as a by product the speakers are fucking terrible.....wth no insualtion in the doors they make the worlds worst speaker cabinets. the engine seems to have a direct audio link to the cabin too. Wind noise is good though. A lot of guys on the civic forum line their cars with dynamat.... improves sound quality no end for both road noise and the stereo, but its not something you should have to do on a car thats pretty expensive as it is.

We had a collapsed suspension bush when we got it and some how that wasnt covered under warranty so had to pay ?100 to fix it!! We approached them with a broken wing mirror motor which they actually fixed under warranty.... it was an intermittent problem and thankfully the car obliged to show them when they tested otherwise they werent going to even look at it. They were very skeptical of it being broken. As for the interior rattles and horrendously loud knocking rear suspension.... these are and I quote "standard for the car". I.e they know all about these problems and theres that many of them that instead of fixing everyones...its just a trait of the car and you must live with it. Its not cheap design with cheap materials/components.

If the car didnt look so cool, I wouldnt still have it. Its definately not Hondas finest hour that car.

And after this Civic, the new Euro Civic so far looks a bit odd like the new focus, so that will then mean there isnt a single car I would want to drive from honda in the future. First and last Honda it would seem.

Last edited:
And with all this, some people here still question my assertions that Honda cars are produced solely as a fundraising exercise... :p

My friend's uncle advises me if I am looking for a car I should buy a honda, but motorcycle defiantly a harley davidson. :|
What is this I don't even.

My friend's uncle advises me if I am looking for a car I should buy a honda, but motorcycle defiantly a harley davidson. :|
What is this I don't even.

:???:

That just boggles the mind. Get a cheaply built, overpriced car and an overpriced, under-performing status symbol from the middle of the last century.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Also he buys the hondas, puts an absurd amount of miles on them and then trades them back a couple years later, wouldn't it make more sense to lease in that situation? :|

Most leases have a mileage cap, so that wouldn't work very well if he is a high-mileage driver.