Ownership Verified: The French Baguette Van: My RenaultSport Clio

It might be the solenoids that activate the locks if the locks are sluggish to lock/unlock. They will be expensive. If it's the range of the key that's the problem, try a new battery or try putting the key under your chin to extend the range (don't ask, but it works).

It might be the solenoids that activate the locks if the locks are sluggish to lock/unlock. They will be expensive. If it's the range of the key that's the problem, try a new battery or try putting the key under your chin to extend the range (don't ask, but it works).

There's a light on the key that flashes when it works, and often it doesn't flash. So the problem is with the key. I'm going to change the battery when I can get somewhere that sells them. For now, I'm just unlocking it with the key.

If it's the range of the key that's the problem, try a new battery or try putting the key under your chin to extend the range (don't ask, but it works).

Someone said you're basically using yourself as an antenna when you do that. No idea if that's even close to the truth.

Cute lil' thing. Give it a good thrashing and sell it off before it goes totally French on you.

^the only way to manage French cars. :p

Someone said you're basically using yourself as an antenna when you do that. No idea if that's even close to the truth.

Yeah, my range is fairly limited, but by putting the key under my chin, it extends the range, so :dunno:

Correct, by doing that (or sticking the keyfob in your temple- probably not the brightest idea I'd imagine due to radiation) you're turning your body into an antenna. I figure its kinda the same principal occurs when you hear a boom box or radio that's sounding a bit fuzzy but you stand near it and/or touch the antenna and things clear right up. :)

Key issue sorted. After finally pulling it apart yesterday (yes, I'm a terrible procrastinator) I found that the circuit board was coming away from the button slightly. Simply stick it back into place, hold it there with some blu-tack and it works perfectly again.

Thinking of getting some 182-style stripes for it... I don't think they're too showy and I think they'd set the car off nicely. Would look like this:
extratips.jpg

I can get the stripe kit for $60 off ebay, so its very tempting.

Thinking of getting some 182-style stripes for it... I don't think they're too showy and I think they'd set the car off nicely. Would look like this:
extratips.jpg

I can get the stripe kit for $60 off ebay, so its very tempting.

I think it'll look pretty cool! :) A nice contrast to the silver.

A friend of mine had one of these, a bloody fast gocart that was! Good choice!

A friend of mine had one of these, a bloody fast gocart that was! Good choice!

Thanks! :)

Bonus picture of car with giant fibreglass poo:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/03/26/DSC_7099s.jpg

Drove on this road to get to the giant fibreglass poo, the car felt like it was made for it. Much fun was had.
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/03/26/maquarie_pass.jpg

Last edited:
Polished!
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/04/02/DSC_7104s.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/hb/hbriz/2011/04/02/DSC_7114s.jpg

Last edited:
That's still in the pipeline, it just doesn't help that I'm a pennyless student :p

There are a few options I have, I'm quite interested in these:
alleggerita_Titanium_Tech_main.jpg

What I'm hoping is that a good condition used set that I like will pop up for cheap, and when that happens I'm more likely to buy.

the wheels to me should come in second behind those 182 stripes, those look awesome :thumbsup:

Well, it's been a little over 6 months owning the Clio, and contrary to popular belief the French car hasn't broken down or caught fire once! In fact, the only fault right now is the bulb in the glove box light has blown. Uh oh, better buy a Toyota next time.

The stripes have arrived, and I will be putting them on tomorrow hopefully. Pictures will follow after that. :D

That's because the Clio is the most reliable Renault of that generation. Also, the RS ones are made in a different factory, the Alpine one. So there's the racing heritage.
I love the Clio RS and wish I could import one from Germany(they're so cheap!) but the import taxes are so high(more expensive than the car).

The rumors about French reliability are also mostly overstated, or at least not all of the models are unreliable. When I bought the 406 it had 283 000 km, I wasn't expecting to drive it when it has 327 000km, and yes, it's not diesel. I don't know how much problems it had when it was new, but the only ones I've had are mostly related to poor care from the previous owners (log book starst at 60k, ends before 200k :D) or rust because of accident repair without rust-proofing... Sometimes buying a cheap car because it's French might turn out to be an excellent idea. Just a shame RenaultSport Clios are still way too expensive in Finland :p