Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Wtf, 70% fragmentation on my HDD? I've been using it for a month and a half. What could be the cause? I do have a lot of games installed(~180GB :lol).

With enough google fu, some players can be region unlocked through a key combo, find those then match to what's available?

What's the best codec pack? Cause K-Lite gave me some problems with 1080p Fraps recording playback. It works better without it.

Looks like the latest release works now. Also, good free alternatives to Fraps(for video recording, not screenshots)?

Last edited:
I've been having some bizarre issues with GTA IV ever since I got my new computer. Even if I put it on the absolute lowest settings, the game stutters. I doubt my specs are the problem, especially since my last computer managed to run it at roughly medium settings without any problems. I'm running an Intel Core i7 2600K, eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Fermi, and 8GB of RAM, with Windows 7 as my OS. A colleague recommended turning off Vertical Sync but I've tried it to no avail. Anyone got any idea what might be wrong?

Last edited:
5mm bezel.

I will literally shit myself the first time I see a bezelless TV, though...I know it. And I honestly mean that in the literal sense...no artistic embelishment there. I will evacuate my bowels of their contained feces into my pantaloons.

I know it's kinda old, but this is still amazing to me. I've seen vendor demos of these things, and it's amazing. A whole room well-lit by a single little capsule the size of a large grain of rice...amazing.

Last edited:
Samsung UND8000 TV: Want.

I actually had a dream about this TV a couple of nights ago... I don't want one desperately or anything, I guess I was just impressed enough that it manifested in one of my dreams.

I was reading the CNET review though and they say color consistency is pretty off, and it's bad enough that you can actually see it in their video review. I kind of hate Samsung for making this big, beautiful beast and then letting it down with an uneven backlight.

I'm thinking of blowing away the Linux Mint install on my netbook because the webcam recording blows using Cheese. Consider the fact that the main reason I got the netbook was webcam and OS X I figure it's worth it.

I actually had a dream about this TV a couple of nights ago... I don't want one desperately or anything, I guess I was just impressed enough that it manifested in one of my dreams.

I was reading the CNET review though and they say color consistency is pretty off, and it's bad enough that you can actually see it in their video review. I kind of hate Samsung for making this big, beautiful beast and then letting it down with an uneven backlight.

Hmm...I heard the color was OK, just uneven lighting...but still kinda sucky. However, I'd be coming from a TV that has uneven lighting AND poor color consistancy, so I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Poor choice of words, I suppose. I didn't read that it had poor colour accuracy, I was just referring to the uneven backlight which makes colours wonky in some parts of the screen.

Hey, if you're actually considering it you can read that review yourself. ;)

I made a wiki at work to replace our old way of keeping notes on customers (Excel sheets). My copy/pasting hand is tired :(

So apparently the new Sandy Bridge iMacs are using Z68 boards already. It's kind of funny that Apple has a reputation for and to a certain extent doesn't take up new technologies right away, but with things like this and Thunderbolt they are ahead of the curve.

Maybe too far ahead of the curve on the Thunderbolt... you get no USB 3.0, no eSATA but you do get Thunderbolt which nobody has even announced products for. If I plopped down over two grand for a beautiful 27" Core i7-based iMac right now I'd be stuck using my various external drives as USB 2.0... kind of a big deal considering it's an all-in-one.

So apparently the new Sandy Bridge iMacs are using Z68 boards already. It's kind of funny that Apple has a reputation for and to a certain extent doesn't take up new technologies right away, but with things like this and Thunderbolt they are ahead of the curve.

Maybe too far ahead of the curve on the Thunderbolt... you get no USB 3.0, no eSATA but you do get Thunderbolt which nobody has even announced products for. If I plopped down over two grand for a beautiful 27" Core i7-based iMac right now I'd be stuck using my various external drives as USB 2.0... kind of a big deal considering it's an all-in-one.

Yeah, but realistically, in the AIO game...personally Apple's the one I could go with. Most every PC AIO I've seen with the exception of some Sony's and the late great XPS One, are ugly as fuck. IMO you go AIO mostly for the style it brings and Apple pretty much wins. If Dell still made the XPS One, i'd probably choose that over the iMac though:

dell-xps-one.jpg

So I'm running out of space on my 120 GB SSD, and I'm thinking of getting ANOTHER SSD sometime in the next month or so to expand my storage capacity.

I was thinking RAID 0 at first, but that would require reformatting and I have no patience for that. Then the thought occurred to do dynamic disks.

However I have no idea if this requires reformatting, and if I have to make both the used and new hard drive dynamic disks. Anyone have any experience in this matter?