Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That was way too hard (what's all this Facebook and Twitter garbage?) but, DONE.

Seriously, WTF? I have to create a twitter to comment on a different site? That is retarded.

I think you just need to comment on the linked article...

Which tells you to log in with twitter if you try.

...Unless you register for an account with Gawker.

Just added 427 miles to the odometer of the miata. 189 of those miles are doing this (just not as cool sounding and in the dark)

Last edited:
...Unless you register for an account with Gawker.

When I clicked the registration links, this option was not mentioned at all. I was told to either log in with Facebook or Twitter. If I wanted a separate account, it said to make a new Twitter.

When I clicked the registration links, this option was not mentioned at all. I was told to either log in with Facebook or Twitter. If I wanted a separate account, it said to make a new Twitter.

This, I am not creating an account I don't like so I can comment on one article. Fuck that shit.

This, I am not creating an account I don't like so I can comment on one article. Fuck that shit.

I agree, Lets just hope people like us aren't the reason the El Camino doesnt come back, haha

Done.

I agree, Lets just hope people like us aren't the reason the El Camino doesnt come back, haha

Luckily, I have a Facebook that serves no purpose other than enabling me to be able to do things that require Facebook.

"The EL Camino didn't make it to production because Jalopnik's site is too stupid to let people make accounts."

Luckily, I have a Facebook that serves no purpose other than enabling me to be able to do things that require Facebook.

I really don't want to use that with my stupid facebook because A) I would have to log onto facebook which I refuse to do unless someone (who annoyingly has facebook as the only means of contact for them) sends me a message and B) facebook is the creepiest site ever invented and I don't want it linked to other sites I visit. :|

A) I would have to log onto facebook which I refuse to do unless someone (who annoyingly has facebook as the only means of contact for them) sends me a message and B) facebook is the creepiest site ever invented and I don't want it linked to other sites I visit. :|

I_support_this_post.jpg

Jalopnik is calling their bluff.
Really not that hard to do. Various marketing guys and execs at GM have been saying bullshit like this for over a decade. This is just Jalopnik and GM helping each other whore attention. I'll believe they're bringing the El Camino back when I see the utes on Chevy lot.

"The EL Camino didn't make it to production because Jalopnik's site is too stupid to let people make accounts."
That would be a headline I'd love to see. This push for one account/password for everything is just idiotic. Just this past December Gawker got hacked and the personal information (usernames, passwords, whatever) for 1.3 million people were lifted.

Really not that hard to do. Various marketing guys and execs at GM have been saying bullshit like this for over a decade. This is just Jalopnik and GM helping each other whore attention. I'll believe they're bringing the El Camino back when I see the utes on Chevy lot.

That would be a headline I'd love to see. This push for one account/password for everything is just idiotic. Just this past December Gawker got hacked and the personal information (usernames, passwords, whatever) for 1.3 million people were lifted.

Thats why they make new people go through facebook and twitter. I guess either their redesigned gawker account system isn't up and running, or they figured "The hell with it, let's outsource this shit already to people who actually know (barely) how to secure shit."

Hence being able to log in with Facebook or Twitter only.

Autoblog did the same damn thing with their comment redesign. You can't use just a Autoblog account or a Disqus (my preference) account, but you can use a yahoo, aim/aol, facebook..etc. As such i've noticed a drop in how many commenter's actually comment lol. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of creating a whole new e-mail address just to have some form of privacy.

Because you know, GM is willing to invest millions and millions of dollars into market research, R&D, federal safety standards and focus grouping because a bunch of assholes on the Internet clicked a button on Facebook.

100,000 people? Sure. Let's say 25% of them are actually financially stable enough to buy and finance a new car. How many of them do you think will actually buy a niche vehicle like the ElCo, with only two seats and minimal, exposed cargo space with a thumping V8? 15%? 10%?

But hey, the SSR, GTO, Saturn Astra and the pair of Pontiac Solstice concept cars were all resounding sales successes that proved how much enthusiasts had their pulse firmly on the American car market.

Maybe I'm looking into this too much, of course. But then again, every major world event and marketing campaign is created solely through Facebook. :unsure:

Last edited:
Because you know, GM is willing to invest millions and millions of dollars into market research, R&D, federal safety standards and focus grouping because a bunch of assholes on the Internet clicked a button on Facebook.

100,000 people? Sure. Let's say 25% of them are actually financially stable enough to buy and finance a new car. How many of them do you think will actually buy a niche vehicle like the ElCo, with only two seats and minimal, exposed cargo space with a thumping V8? 15%? 10%?

But hey, the SSR, GTO, Saturn Astra and the pair of Pontiac Solstice concept cars were all resounding sales successes that proved how much enthusiasts had their pulse firmly on the American car market.

Maybe I'm looking into this too much, of course. But then again, every major world event and marketing campaign is created solely through Facebook. :unsure:

I'm 99% sure you're right, it's been proven time and time again. :)

There's a special place in hell reserved for level crossings.