Hammond: Engineering Connection Series 3?

mountainman

An episode is available on TheBox.bz:

Richard Hammond checks out one of the world?s tallest and most distinctively shaped hotels ? the 121 metre high Burj al Arab, or Arabian Tower. Rising from its own custom-built island, 300 metres offshore, the sail-shaped structure has already become one of the world?s most recognisable buildings, and an icon for Dubai, on the Persian Gulf. Behind the acres of gold leaf and marble lie ingenious engineering solutions. Sea defences, inspired by the game of jacks, rely on the power of nothing to absorb the energy of waves. The cam of an engine which rotates with an ?eccentric? off-centre movement allows engineers to overcome desert heat. Controls for the luxurious electrical fittings could have threatened the safety of the building. The air-conditioning in a tall hotel in the desert might have made it impossible to open the door without the engineering legacy of a 19th Century French coal-mine ? the airlock. And a new kind of fire hose enabled engineers to create a spectacular and unnaturally glassy fountain display.

Another episode is available. It's not certain what the episode numbers are yet:

Space Shuttle

Richard Hammond reveals the surprising engineering connections to NASA?s Space Shuttle ? the world?s first reusable space craft. He goes backstage at Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, to discover how the most technologically advanced machine ever engineered by man could not exist without a church organ pump, tram tracks, a WWII anti-sonar device, a camera iris, and a cannonball. For the shuttle to climb 650 km above Earth, Richard demonstrates how the craft survives engine combustion temperatures exceeding the 3300?C at launch by using its own cryogenic liquid hydrogen (at minus 253?C) for cooling ? an idea he successfully borrows to boil water in a kettle made out of ice cream. He also shows how aluminium ? as found in regular kitchen foil ? is the secret to solid rocket fuel, and the way to make a rocket go faster is to burn the fuel more quickly. He also learns how a well-placed water shower ? that in reality drenches the launch pad with a million litres in just 20 seconds ? prevents the Shuttle from self-destructing at launch because of its own noise. The way a camera lens closes is the secret to not losing a million-dollar payload in space. Keeping the Orbiter, and the astronauts, safe and in shape for the next mission requires the aerodynamics of a cannonball ? demonstrated in a hypersonic wind tunnel ? and some special heat-resistant tiles (essentially made of foam).

Yep, this is S3. I'm surprised there's been absolutely NO PRESS or anything for this in recent weeks. NatGeo UK's website for the show is still in S2 mode. There isn't even any mention of it on their Twitter account. WTF?

Anyway, I'm downloading them and will upload them to one of the FTPs. :)

EDIT: Found out why there's been no press. These rips are from NatGeo Canada. How the hell did you Canucks get to see these before the UK?! That's surprising.

Info on what the other episodes cover are in spoiler tags, just in case.

The other episodes in this series are Earthquake Bridge (Greece's Rion-Antirion bridge) and the Bullet Train. All these have aired in Canada already.

Last edited:
Yeah. *hides*

Still, it aired in Canada (and, apparently, Australia) before the UK...which is bloody strange.

Hi Shelly, did you manage to upload this to an FTP, which one was it? Thank you :)

Yeah, I did. They're both on 95's. :)

I like to think Richard knows better than to attempt a Scandinavian Flick in a tiny van again. ;)

Last edited:
Is there a Formula 1 episode in Series 3 of Engineering Connections? Because i've seen an episode about F1 dubbed in spanish and even in russian but i've been looking for an original version in English everywhere and i couldn't find it...

No.

The S3 episodes are Burj Al-Arab (airing this Sunday on BBC Two; available on The Box), Space Shuttle (also on The Box), Earthquake Bridge (Greece's Rion-Antirion bridge), Bullet Train, and Super Tanker. None of the episodes in the first two series cover F1, either. Are you sure you're not confusing Engineering Connections with Hammond Meets Moss?

No.

The S3 episodes are Burj Al-Arab (airing this Sunday on BBC Two; available on The Box), Space Shuttle (also on The Box), Earthquake Bridge (Greece's Rion-Antirion bridge), Bullet Train, and Super Tanker. None of the episodes in the first two series cover F1, either. Are you sure you're not confusing Engineering Connections with Hammond Meets Moss?

Is there a Formula 1 episode in Series 3 of Engineering Connections? Because i've seen an episode about F1 dubbed in spanish and even in russian but i've been looking for an original version in English everywhere and i couldn't find it...

Actually, shelly, I think javierel22 is correct. It's a six part series, and you've only named five, so F1 is the missing one from your list. From the topgear blog:
Later in the six-part BBC2 series are closer looks at Formula One, oil super tankers, earthquake-proof bridges, the soon-to-be-retired space shuttle and Japan?s awesome bullet train.

Also from here:
Formula 1 is one of the most glamorous and expensive sports on earth, but the cars wouldn?t even cross the starting line without inspiration drawn from a revolutionary 19th Century cannon, ancient sailing boats, jet engine fan blades, body armour, and a technique practiced by blacksmiths for thousands of years.

Through large-scale demonstrations Hammond investigates the crucial technology that makes these possible. He makes the surprising connections that make possible the greatest miracles of modern engineering.
, and this pic that I found a while ago (can't remember where from, but it was from an EC report)
file-7.jpg

According to The Beeb the 2nd episode is the Formula 1 one

Series 3
Formula 1
2/6. Inspiration for the Formula 1 car was drawn from a 19th century cannon and ancient dhows.

Thanks Del! Richard was on The One Show earlier today (or yesterday by the time you read this!) - it's on the i-player and I've also uploaded it here.

Thanks Del! Richard was on The One Show earlier today (or yesterday by the time you read this!) - it's on the i-player and I've also uploaded it here.

Getting a rip from thebox and adding to FTP in a bit :)

Thanks for the tip.