Help me find a RWD Sportscar... IN GERMANY

blackman

Car(s)
'06 Cooper S / '89 316i / '15 MT09 Tracer
Title kinda says a lot. It is definetly time for me to go and have a look for a new car. Right now I'm driving a Seat Ibiza much like D-Fence has one, only with double the horsepower und 3 times the torque (no offense :p).

Things I want from my next car:

- Most of all: RWD!!! 370Nm in FWD car isn't the way to go, been there.

- 200 or more hp

- Budget: 20.000? although that can be stretched if think it's worth it. Preferably
something new or maybe a year or two old.

- 2+2 Seater would be nice, If it isn't at least some lugagge space is needed as
it is going to be my only car.

To give you a hint, what direction I wanna take this, I'll tell you what I've been looking at so far:

350z Coupe can be had starting around 17k? but it'll be old like a 2005 or 2006 model.

370z Coupe is out of the price range when new. Sadly there aren't really any used ones on the market yet.

BMW 1 series, I'd prefer the coupe, but I think like most BMW's it is really overpriced. Base 118i costs 25k? without AC, without alloy wheels, etc...

Currently I'm pretty fascinated by the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, the 3.8l V6 especially. Seen one in the company parking lot and couldn't believe how good the value for money is. A brand new one can be had for as little as 26k? which seems like a real bargain to me, if you consider 5 years warranty and service is already included.

But maybe I've missed the obvious, so I'm asking the automotive experts from finalgear for advice :)
Oh and before I forget: No Miata :p

What kind of resale do E60 M5's carry in Germany?

Cheapest one I found was 31k? with 100.000km on the clock, and 5 years old. It would also be a bitch to insure and the M-Badge carries lots of other extra running costs.

Thinking outside the box... and ending up with a box-shaped car: Chrysler 300C.

Easily matches all your requirements.

EDIT: mobile.de lists a dozen or so under 20000 Euros in the Ruhr Area. You might even get the HEMI V8 if you stretch your budget a bit.

Last edited:
Why does the car have to be new/newish? I mean, 2005 350Z is hardly old car. You still thew new car advantages: good reliability, good safety etc. Yeah it might be the old model, but who cares, if you're going to buy a sportscar and not a poser car.

I understand people want new cars because old cars generally need a bit more time and love to achieve the same reliability. But 5 years old well kept car doesn't requre anything else than regular maintenance just like a new car, but it's already dropped most of it's value, so depreciation (and that's the true cost of the car, not the buying price) is slowed down.

honestly, the best option would be a mazda rx-8. they are reliable and relativly cheap (10-20k ? depending on the year). problem is, that they have wankel engine and for some wierd reason people are aspecially afraid of them in germany (look at ro80 and theire so called new engine's). it's a sports car (a 5series or tt are not), has a fr-layout, double wishbone suspenion (front & back, something you don't get in bmw's) and a torsen differential (bmw's only have them in m cars). if a 2 seater would be an option, the honda s2000 ist pretty good.

remember, except of the turbocharger inline 4 engine every "benziner" from bmw is pretty slow, and a diesel would be a better option, so a 118i sucks anyway.

ps. only other option is to buy an relatily old bmw or mercedes (10-5 years) and look for aftermarket coilovers and differential. mercedes have useally the better supension and bmw has the better engine's as well as transmission (the manuel's from mercedes suck). the best way would be to look out for a bmw 330i or 325i e90-92, because the bmw e46 has some flaws in it's construction of the rear suspension.

and finally, ignore the hyundai. they suck and are cheap for a good reason. if you want to be different, look out for the small lexus and infinity we get in germany. they all have the fr-layout, good suspensionlayout and the flaw, that the back seat's are not folding away like in every german car. new these cars are to expensiv and the used car market for them is really small, so i wouldn't consider them.

Just not the sportscar-part ... :p

M5 and 1-Series already stretch the "sportscar" requirement enough to fit a giant muscle car in there.

Hey few hours in the office and a lot of answers! Thanks a bunch!

As it's been mentioned, I'm pretty much set on the sportscar thing, so Chrysler 300C is really not the type of car I'm going for. Although you guys made me look into E39 M5...
As for the new or nearly new argument, right now I'm investing a shitton of money into a 7 year old car. I could do without that ;-) hence my interest in the Genesis Coupe. It is pretty hard to get a test ride in one though, cause no dealer in the area has more than one. Anyone on here ever driven one?

Z4 Coupe is an interessting option, as well as E92 330i. I'll be looking into those.

Maybe I'll just wait until a used 370z pops up for me to get a hold of :p

:thumbsup:

Despite my bias it does fit all the requirements quite nicely.

Last edited: