Viper's 1988 Chevrolet Crapsica LT

hand-brake hill start > foot brake hill start.

Just pull your handbrake, start to set off normally, when the rear dips, let go of the handbrake, but don't simultaneously move your feet from the pedals (rookie mistake until you get the hand-feet coordination right), and you'll set off just fine.

I have no handbrake, merely 2 foot brakes.

I seriously do, I like the hatch although it didn't do well. It's also by no means an unattractive compact/mid-sizer, quite the opposite. It's also somewhat innovative:

First year of production was sent exclusively to fleets to get feedback and durability testing.

First car in America with standard Daytime Running Lights.

I'd gladly rock a Corsica.

Seriously, I still do. That is by no means ugly inside or out.

Have you driven a good car for over a week?

Opened the garage to check on it and found a little puddle underneath it and the light smell of gasoline. The car is living up to expectations.

You have insurance. Now just discard a match carelessly.......

Then sue GM for trauma, loss of earnings, property damage and your last messy break up for good measure and accept a brand new SRT-10 as settlement.

:cool:

You have insurance. Now just discard a match carelessly.......

:lmao: Like I'd be dumb enough to waste money insuring the actual car. :p Hell no, I only have liability coverage.

Good. Because from the sound of it you're a bloody liability! :p:p:p

My uncle took me out driving today (well I guess yesterday now) and I got out on some actual streets. Managed to stall it a couple of times because I got nervous with someone behind me or there was a hill, but I'm getting a LOT better at it and learning to hold it in place with the brake until I feel the clutch starting to grab, then letting off the brake and getting a bit on the gas. In short, good progress and should be driving fine after a few more of these. :)

Yeeeeeaahh. Good on ya Viper. Just don't panic and you should be fine. Just give it some time and you'll be just fine on the road. Though I must say, that steering wheel looks down right dangerous with nothing on there except the nut holding it on.
And don't
hold it in place with the brake until I feel the clutch starting to grab, then letting off the brake and getting a bit on the gas.
You'll burn your clutch out. Just let it roll a little bit. Trust me, it'll roll 30cm max, even on a 1 in 3 hill. And there should be at least a metre between the car behind you and the back of your car.

Edit: Also handbrake starts - a million times better to over-rev than under-rev. Just don't be holding the clutch in too far ;) And generally hills, most people should have common courtesy to give you more space.

Last edited:
Edit: Also handbrake starts - a million times better to over-rev than under-rev. Just don't be holding the clutch in too far ;) And generally hills, most people should have common courtesy to give you more space.

In america? with the automatic mentality? i doubt it unless it's someone who can recognize a manual

Last edited:
Like a Buss :lol:

(seriously they do that here)

Im america? with the automatic mentality? i doubt it unless it's someone who can recognize a manual

Agreed, those days are long gone. Usually people are right on top of you at lights, at least where I live.

Lots of new manual cars have that hill start assist that keeps your car from rolling when you let off the clutch. In fact, Dodge Challengers got in 2009 I think on the V8 models with 6speeds. If you're on a hill and let off the clutch, the car won't move for a couple seconds, so you can move your foot over to the throttle. There you go Viper, get a used Dodge Challenger RT or SRT8, that will be a decent stepping stone before a Viper. :p

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/to/tomcat/2011/05/22/chall.jpg

Im america? with the automatic mentality? i doubt it unless it's someone who can recognize a manual

Exactly. I remember being on a hill with clearly faulty brakes and some dipshit of a woman in a Jeep Grand Cherokee kept inching towards me.

IIRC, GM cable shifter. Not a plus. :p :mrgreen:

This. I used to have a 1990 Chevy Beretta and one day the shift cable broke so I couldn't get into reverse. All other gears worked fine.

Those photos of the interior are bringing many painful (literally, I couldn't stand being in that car longer than 30-45 minutes) memories.

Yeah, people get way too close to you. Last thing I need is to roll back into someone.

If in trouble/doubt/hurry...handbrake-rev limiter-drop clutch and handbrake.

Bitch yeah.

On a serious note, over here learn in TDI Golfs. They will set of vertically just by letting the clutch off slowly. Learned on those and immediately started driving my small petrol car. Made no difference. Stalled maybe twice due to being used to massive torque, but then I just forgot about it.

And from what I can tell from your posts you're doing better than lots of people I know. And we know that Yurop doesn't do auto, only manual. So good job. :D