New small car with very low fuel consumption

Which engine specifically are we talking about?

Any Multiair iteration. 1.4 16V is the pick of the bunch.

[video=youtube;-bfSdqT_ZHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfSdqT_ZHw[/video]

Last edited:
The fabia is so... awkward... Fiat punto evo with 1.3 multijet sounds very nice and is quite cheapish. The multiairs consume all too much.

Last edited:
My main issue with the Fabia is that it sits on the oooooold MkIV Polo platform, the one that debuted in 2002. It's not like nothing happened in supermini-country in the past 9 years in terms of development.

+1 for Fiat Punto Evo Multijet, I have a 1.4 petrol in mine (not the twinair) and I get 8-9l in town and 6-7l on the highway which isn't very good.
I've driven the 1.3 diesel and while it might be slower when pushing both to the limit my car only starts to really move from 3500rpm and upwards while the diesel does the same acceleration from as low as 2000 rpm.

Mind you, the petrol is a lovely engine (which is why I love to give it the beans) and the handling in the Punto is fun, also mine was a brand new car with aircon, bluetooth and mp3 connectivity, alloys, metallic paint, fog lights, well basicly everything safe for satnav and leather seats and it only cost me ?15000-ish.

Revving a Fiat FIRE engine to the max is one of those small joys in life...and it needs it in order to make progress. But it thanks you for it.

The 1.3 Mjet is also very sensible, it will give you a sexy mpg figure and a satisfying pull when pressed hard.

Fiat 500 Twin Air?
Edit: Spritmonitor puts the 500 at around 6l/100km for town driving
+1 for 2 cyl power! That thing sounds lovely, is faster than the 1.4 (they say) and it should use little fuel.
No, you don't get any seat heaters AT ALL but if you don't mind that it's very nice if you like the design.

Well, those figures are then basically the same as in my 15 year old opel.
Sadly new cars are heavy.

Last edited:
Is there a reason not to get a slightly used BMW 320d?

I don't get it. Why buy an expensive car if you need to save fuel.

Isn't gas like 10 cents a gallon your country?

It'll soon rise to 2 euros per liter. And i'd like to remain mobile. With the opel, i'll not be able to afford that anymore if the prices keep rising.

Last edited:
I take Adu's point about the Fabia being on an old platform, but if it's mainly city driving that would surely be less of an issue so a 1.6 diesel Fabia would be worth considering IMO. Plus the practicality of 5 doors.

Or the Fiat 500 in 1.2 Lounge spec. Alloys, bluetooth, stop start and a whole lot more. I just helped a friend order a new car and that is what she is going for. I asked about the dealer about diesel instead and he said they just aren't selling at least in the UK as the premium price for the diesel engine doesn't make sense unless one is doing at least 30,000 km a year.

So far the best option seems to be the polo 1.2 tsi, but 6.6l/100km of fuel consumption is a bit much, since the 15 year opel consumes about 7.8l/100km from a 1.6 engine.

Dunno about the official specs, but I'm averaging 6.3l/100km, mostly driving ~120km/h on highways and ~50km/h in hilly cities. Driving at ~100km/h on a straight highway easily gets you in the 5l/100km range. It's a really good engine, contrary to the BlueMotion it isn't completely boring and can make you accelerate really fast when you *don't* care about the fuel consumption :p

It'll soon rise to 2 euros per liter. And i'd like to remain mobile. With the opel, i'll not be able to afford that anymore if the prices keep rising.

Wow, logic fail.

My car costs too much to run, so i'm going to spend twenty thousand euros on a new car which will cost a bit less per mile.

Reactions: MWF
An old car doesn't only cost a lot to refuel but I can imagine when something breaks and you need it repaired it might cost more than what your car is worth, by your logic we would all be driving the same car for the rest of our life. A new car is something you can pay off monthly, so those are costs you can calculate into your budget, an old car however is not that predictable. I don't think paying off a car loan versus repair bills + high fuel consumption is a logic fail.