2011 Formula 1 Gran Premio de Espa?a Santander

I wonder if any team will be up for a prime-only qualifying soon (not in Monaco, obviously). Renaotus for example, on two sets of primes they should be able to get to 11th-14th in Q2. Ten fewer cars to overtake for Heidfeld, and still three sets of fresh options and a set of fresh primes.

Canada is usually pretty hard on tyres. I might like to save as many sets of softs as I can there, to the point where I might even forgo a place in Q3 to ensure I have more tyres.

Also to those who thought it was boring, what made it so? I thought it was thoroughly entertaining with the way the different strategies played out. Maybe you people are annoyed we didnt see (m)any contrived DRS enabled overtakes?

Last edited:
That was the best Spanish F1 race I've ever watched. Good job Vettel, didn't lose focus at all when Hamilton was pretty much bullying him.

(By the way, all the fastest laps were set on the hard tires, the two-second disadvantage definitely was in qualifying trim only)

Low fuel, anyone?
Pole was set on option, 1:20.981
Vettel's Q1 was on prime, 1:24.142
Fastest lap was on prime, 1:26.727

Primes are at least 2 seconds slower on any trim...

Canada is usually pretty hard on tyres. I might like to save as many sets of softs as I can there, to the point where I might even forgo a place in Q3 to ensure I have more tyres.

Well, barely anyone needs to get stuck in Q3. All but one driver of the established teams can make it to Q2 on primes, the top two teams should make it to Q1 on primes as well with a good lap.

Then you're in a much better position than Heidfeld and Webber were, and still have three brand new sets of options plus one brand new set of primes.

Also to those who thought it was boring, what made it so? I thought it was thoroughly entertaining with the way the different strategies played out. Maybe you people are annoyed we didnt see (m)any contrived DRS enabled overtakes?

this! but they also had to make the strategies work. awesome overtaking moves by vettel (don't remember who) and by button (going passed webber and alonso).

DRS is a gimmick, between that and the pathetic excuse of hard compound tires, it cost Alonso a win. HE was the best driver out there but the rules have prevented his skills from shining through.

Did you even watch the race? Nobody will argue that Alonso is one of the best drivers out there and he made the start from hell yesterday, but the only thing that cost him a win was the car he's parking his bum in. No skills in the world can make the 2011 Ferrari faster than the Red Bulls or the McLarens. I've see a fair bit of fayboyism in my time, but you really take the take, man. Face it - unless Ferrari builds him a better car, he's not going to win anything this year. Oh, and btw., IIRC he lost the lead due to pit strategy. DRS had nothing to do with it.

Low fuel, anyone?
Pole was set on option, 1:20.981
Vettel's Q1 was on prime, 1:24.142
Fastest lap was on prime, 1:26.727

Primes are at least 2 seconds slower on any trim...
Nope. VET and HAM drove circles around the opposition even when on primes. I'd say (and i think DC and/or Brundle backed me up on this) the primes are between .5 and 1 second slower in race trim.

Vettel drove like a true champion!

what a race.

Vettel drove like a true champion!

what a race.
In that race Vettel was miles better than anyone else (mind you he had the tools) and Hamilton was Kilometers better than anyone other than Vettel. Great race and very entertaining. BBC coverage was a 9/10 too.

Alonso did as well as he could with the tools provided, after a great start he was short of puff.

Last edited:
Please point out other premier race series that change up the rules year to year to give off the appearance of racing.
Does the phrase "Push to pass" ring a bell? Systems like KERS/DRS have been around for ages, especially in U.S. racing series.

I like F1 and will stick to it.
That contradicts your earlier statement...

DRS is a gimmick, between that and the pathetic excuse of hard compound tires, it cost Alonso a win. HE was the best driver out there but the rules have prevented his skills from shining through.
...so it comes as no surprise that at the end of the day there's your typical Ferrari fanboy whining at the bottom of your grouch. No one, not even the other Ferrari fans on this board like mpicco or SchumacherM act as butthurt as you.
You are ridiculous.
QFT

In that race Vettel was miles better than anyone else (mind you he had the tools) and Hamilton was Kilometers better than anyone other than Vettel. Great race and very entertaining. BBC coverage was a 9/10 too.

Alonso did as well as he could with the tools provided, after a great start he was short of puff.

Alonso got an amazing start but after a few laps pretty much everybody realised the F150 doesn't particularly suit the layout of this track.

The general concensus in the interactive forum after the race was that the MP4-26 could in fact have been the fastest car in race trim, which I found quite surprising but at the same time comforting because that means Red Bull doesn't have everything 'in the pocket'.

Did you even watch the race? Nobody will argue that Alonso is one of the best drivers out there and he made the start from hell yesterday, but the only thing that cost him a win was the car he's parking his bum in. No skills in the world can make the 2011 Ferrari faster than the Red Bulls or the McLarens. I've see a fair bit of fayboyism in my time, but you really take the take, man. Face it - unless Ferrari builds him a better car, he's not going to win anything this year. Oh, and btw., IIRC he lost the lead due to pit strategy. DRS had nothing to do with it.

DRS had everything to do with it as Alonso's lead got cut down significantly significantly with a flick of a switch and as far as I'm concerned its complete bullshit. Ferrari's pit strategy didn't help either but these races shouldn't be about the car they should be about driving skill. One should be able to win a race in a disadvantaged car. DRS and KERS just further increases the gap between teams.

If you believe DRS has nothing to do with it, why isn't it implemented in all FIA racing leagues?

You are ridiculous.

That's it? Care to elborate?

...so it comes as no surprise that at the end of the day there's your typical Ferrari fanboy whining at the bottom of your grouch. No one, not even the other Ferrari fans on this board like mpicco or SchumacherM act as butthurt as you.

Why does that matter? Butthurt? Please, just grow up man, this has nothing to do with being a fanboy. I'm simply looking at the bigger picture and from my point of view DRS, KERS, and the tire situation, have made the series worse taking more of the racing away from driver and putting more emphasis on the technology. At this point, why have human drivers at all?

ok, here is the deal, he wasnt the best driver out there. He wasnt in the best car out there. the best driver won the race. the best car won the race. thats racing, if he was the best driver out there then he would have won. blaming the DRS is stupid, blaming the tires is stupid. if he lacks the skill to make them work then he just isnt the best driver. by the way, no, im not a Red Bull fan, i just respect the winner.

Last edited:
DRS had everything to do with it as Alonso's lead got cut down significantly significantly with a flick of a switch and as far as I'm concerned its complete bullshit. Ferrari's pit strategy didn't help either but these races shouldn't be about the car they should be about driving skill. One should be able to win a race in a disadvantaged car. DRS and KERS just further increases the gap between teams.

If you believe DRS has nothing to do with it, why isn't it implemented in all FIA racing leagues?
If Alonso/Massa overtook someone with DRS to take the lead and win, I somehow believe you'd be saying DRS is great.

The fact that he didn't win is because he had a disadvantaged car.

It's not implemented in all the FIA championships because no other championship has such a bad overtaking issue.

Last edited:

That's it? Care to elborate?
I'm not even sure why I'm bothering with you, but I guess I'd like to know whether you have eyes.

How the hell did DRS significantly cut down Alonso's lead? You obviously didn't notice Webber sitting on his rear wing the whole way around the track for literally half the race. Despite being faster, Webber couldn't pass Alonso even with DRS. Using your argument, as soon as Alonso, with all his superhuman abilities, was unfairly passed using the magical DRS wizardry he should have been able to keep up with the lead cars and then used his own fairy button to take the position back. Why, when using the exact same technology, couldn't he cut down on Hamilton's or Vettel's lead later on?

This is real life, Alonso isn't your boyfriend and Ferrari are just not as fast.

when he came out of the pits in 3rd, why didn't he use flick his switch to cut down significantly on the leaders?
you can blame the rules all you want, the F150? just sucks aerodynamically!