Should we think about planning a HUGE meetup at the first F1 race in Austin, TX?

Should we think about planning a HUGE meetup at the first F1 race in Austin, TX?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
I know it is quite a ways off, but if the planning started soon it would allow us to being a LOT of people together in one place for a very cool event. I think if we did it properly we might even be able to get the TGUSA folks involved for a meet and greet or special group drive or something. Just brainstorming here, but it seems like an opportunity for a KILLER event!

There is a very rough cost estimate down around post #19 if you are curious or concerned about what this might cost.

Last edited:
When is it again? And an inter-continental meetup would be an epic excuse for a vacation. Get on it, people.

^ It's probably a couple of months untill the 2012 F1 calendar is released...

Well I will be at the race one way or another. Helps that I pass by the track everyone few weeks anyway. Good news is that progress is coming along. The two parts where the track goes up and down the big hill are clearly visible from the highway. I dont think people realize how big the elevation change is there.

I'd love to go, trying to work something out with my parents for it to be a graduation present or something.

I would love to do this, though my girlfriend would not like any aspect of it.

The speculative date is is around late June of 2012 since that is close to the "usual" time for the Montreal race and it only makes sense for those races to be back to back simply based on the logistics and expense of moving all of the gear to North America. My hunch is that it will be after Montreal and that the F1 marketing machine will be using that as a big platform to remind people of the new race who might actually have a chance to attend.

I have the ability to plan this thing, but I am not exactly in the neighborhood if there is something that needed to be done in person. I am quite familiar with the area though and would be happy to plan things like hotels and other "stuff" to do as a group. I am sure the city of Austin will have a TON of stuff going on to focus people (and their wallets) on the event, but I have always been an outside the box kind of guy when it comes to running things like this... so who knows.

Honestly, in order to get any kind of reasonable hotel rate, we would need to book it the exact same day that the race date is announced and get it down on paper before they realize what is happening. I would need a pretty firm number of people who would need rooms, but if we can get enough people to justify 20 rooms (so roughly 25 or 30 people), there should be no issue getting a great rate at a nice place. I think everyone should plan for a full weekend... arrive Friday night and leave either late Sunday or Monday morning.

I would love to do this, though my girlfriend would not like any aspect of it.

You have a full year to prepare her for it... or eliminate the problem (j/k)... LOL

You have a full year to prepare her for it... or eliminate the problem (j/k)... LOL

Life is a series of decisions. Sometimes that means dumping a girlfriend of five years(at that point) to go meet some internet friends.

Also, I'd most likely need to bring my dog, meaning I'd probably be staying at a different hotel from the rest of you.

The speculative date is is around late June of 2012 since that is close to the "usual" time for the Montreal race and it only makes sense for those races to be back to back simply based on the logistics and expense of moving all of the gear to North America. My hunch is that it will be after Montreal and that the F1 marketing machine will be using that as a big platform to remind people of the new race who might actually have a chance to attend.

Ah, well worked out. That sounds very logical and I think what happened when the race was held at Indianapolis.

:cool:

Life is a series of decisions. Sometimes that means dumping a girlfriend of five years(at that point) to go meet some internet friends.

Or distracting her with a weekend spa or out with her friends on an alternative weekend so you can stay home and look after the animals. Sometimes girls don't mind being distracted like that.

Also, I'd most likely need to bring my dog, meaning I'd probably be staying at a different hotel from the rest of you.

To be clear, I was TOTALLY kidding about the girl stuff. Too easy to fit that in the plan, and there are a great number of hotels changing pet policies these days anyway. I may bring mine as well, but I have family in Austin who can easily watch him.

Or distracting her with a weekend spa or out with her friends on an alternative weekend so you can stay home and look after the animals. Sometimes girls don't mind being distracted like that.

Oh yeah, there is a KILLER spa at the Arboretum in Austin, I sent my wife there for one of our anniversaries.... like 12 years ago and she still raves about that place! In fact she will be coming with me too, perhaps we can arrange a "girls of finalgear who don't give a crap about racing" event too.... LOL

Last edited:
I'll likely be going. Some of my co-workers are huge F1 nuts, plus hopefully I'll have my Viper by then. Road trip!

I'm more likely to attend a meetup at the MotoGP event, personally. But I hope the rest of the (potential) attendees enjoy the meet. :D

Ok, so here is just a sample cost estimate (inflated on purpose to account for worst case scenarios) based on a Friday arrival and a Monday departure:

3 nights at an airport hotel (close to the track): $120 per night including taxes = $360
Travel from "your place here" (using Maryland since that is where I live and it is far away, so it works out for most other folks) - $900 for round trip fuel and general food/ snacks. $75 per tank, 10 tanks figured here plus other expenses.
Food/ drinks while in Austin: $250ish (probably WAY high unless you drink your ass off)

Total so far: $1510... I am sure it could easily be done for much less. I used 300 miles per tank of fuel, and a cost of $75 per tank. My car gets much, much better mileage and costs far less per tank, but I inflated it quite a bit to account for folks who might want to drive a freaking Suburban down there. I am also very sure we could get a much more reasonable hotel, and that changes things a lot too. These are just estimates for folks to think about and plan from to see if this is a truly feasible trip for you.

FYI; a flight from DCA->AUS is about $500 roundtrip(and 4 hours), while driving is 25 hours/1500 miles each way.

Edit;
SFO->AUS, $350
CHI->AUS, $380
(Taken from the cheap-seat pricing, ymmv)

Last edited: