Random Thoughts....

That rent isn't that high for Australia, a one bedroom place in Melbourne is upto $400 a week for instance
Ouch, mortgage payments for my 3 bedroom home (1250 sq ft / 116 sq m with full basement and two stall attached garage) were about $780 a month.
Are homes made out of gold in Australia?

2800AUD/month really does sound like a lot for three persons. Feels like this is the best place to save wads of moolah.

I'd rather kill myself that go bankrupt - it would mean someone who I owed money to not getting paid. I pay my debts always.

Actually, it doesn't *have* to mean that. It does mean that you could have more time or more favorable terms while protecting what you have. There are many examples of personal, not business, bankruptcies where all creditors get paid the full principal amount.

However, creditors do not like to see bankruptcies, so if you inform them that a bankruptcy is the alternative they are often willing to be more flexible and work with you more than usual.

2800AUD/month really does sound like a lot for three persons. Feels like this is the best place to save wads of moolah.

AUD$2800 a month (about US$3000) is what I'm looking at for my first mortage (for a 2 bed apartment)

House prices here are fucked

I hope that is because all your buildings have been spider-proofed or something.

AUD$2800 a month (about US$3000) is what I'm looking at for my first mortage (for a 2 bed apartment)

House prices here are fucked

What the hell are houses there made of? Platinum-laced marble imported from a secretive cloistered monastic order's quarry in Italy? :blink:

Last edited:
Just a desire for everyone to live in the major cities. Out in the bush, you can get a house for $270,000 but you probably won't have a job. Or phone reception. Or internets.

I hope that is because all your buildings have been spider-proofed or something.

nope most are dives,

the AVERAGE price of a house in Melbourne is AUD$565,000 (US$605,000). Successive governments have fucked up our housing market something cronic and now they can't do anything about it because it'll lose to many votes. Here is one of the reasons why property is fucked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_gearing_(Australia) (you constantly see "battlers" (or pensioners etc) on the TV complaining they have no money despite sitting on 3 investment properties they bought for dirt cheap) the other is that the government allowed foreign investment with no oversight. Great if you own a property already... Our country is obessed with construction for some reason....

Lots of empty spaces to build in. What do we put in all of the empty spaces?

Video is a bit NSFW before the 1 minute mark. The part I wanted to show was about the 2:20 mark.

Just a desire for everyone to live in the major cities. Out in the bush, you can get a house for $270,000 but you probably won't have a job. Or phone reception. Or internets.

You can get a good sized ranch in the boonies for that much money here. And have phone and internet to boot. <shakes head> That's insane.

Up here in Scotland you can get a 4 bedroom house with a couple of reception rooms and a big kitchen for that sort of money in GBP. And you'd get internet and phone too!

And there would be less chance of you being eaten/poisoned by some lovely Australian wildlife. :p

Oh. My. God. I can hear U2 clearly from my backyard. They're playing at the stadium... 5.5km away. :|

It's apparently the biggest sound setup ever in the city. No kidding. They're on par with the volume of a jet engine. FFS.

Dear everyone at that concert,

What's that? What did you say? You'll have to speak up.

Last edited:
You can get a good sized ranch in the boonies for that much money here. And have phone and internet to boot. <shakes head> That's insane.
Doesn't Texas have the best house prices in the U.S.? I remember when we nearly had to relocate to Texas and the prices down there were great, mind you that was about 7 years ago.

Doesn't Texas have the best house prices in the U.S.? I remember when we nearly had to relocate to Texas and the prices down there were great, mind you that was about 7 years ago.

I wasn't even talking about "Texas". I was talking more generally about the US. Texas has the best prices, but that money can buy you a ranch in quite a lot of south and middle America. If you go west (but not past the Rockies), it can buy you a LOT of ranch.

That rent isn't that high for Australia, a one bedroom place in Melbourne is upto $400 a week for instance

Me and two mates shared a fairly sizeable house in a decent inner Adelaide suburb for $300 a week. I dont know what Brisbane is like in terms of rent but I really dont think you need to be paying almost $700 a week on rent in any of the major cities. You may have to revise your expectations down a bit but I'm sure you can halve your rent without too much trouble.

Land is at a premium in Aus, especially in and around the major cities. It's people's desire to live in a massive three or four bedroom castle. The government and local councils sell off the prime farming land so we can get more anonymous sprawling suburbs offering cheap, mostly shoddy housing at premium prices. Someone once told me the houses in a new suburb to the north of Adelaide were only designed and built to last 20 years or so before needing major work done.

Dear spiders,
I am rather nice an accepting of your presence in car, but I am not comfortable with you on the ceiling over my bed. Bed is no spider zone. Please do not be doing this again.

Dear spiders,
I am rather nice an accepting of your presence in car, but I am not comfortable with you on the ceiling over my bed. Bed is no spider zone. Please do not be doing this again.
My spider friends seem to be very accommodating in that regard (except they like to hang out in the shower for some reason).
They usually keep to themselves in the stairwell and do a good job of keeping other bugs away.

On another note, I just about screwed up my Windows 7 install.
I was copying an XP VHD to an eSata drive using WinImage and I tried to boot it.
It wouldn't so I started from the Windows XP CD and ran fixboot and fixmbr thinking that I had my Windows 7 HDD switched off in Bios.
Well, I was wrong, and sure enough Windows 7 wouldn't boot anymore.
So I start from Windows 7 CD and it gives me some message about incompatible recovery tools.
I find my way around that and manage to make it to the "repair startup problems" choice, and sure enough, that fails.
So finally I go to the console and run "bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr" and restart.
And that worked. Phew! :idiot:

I had the stupid HP recovery thing set a partition to RAW (managed to fix that in linux) and had to redo the bootsector, only for it to take 25 mins to boot in to vista and then run like ass. Nuked that and went with 7 shortly after.

Seeing those amounts you throw around, I'm suddenly glad I'm living in Germany where everything, even housing prices, are reasonable. Outside of cities like Hamburg, Frankfurt or Munich, of course.