The "New Toys" Thread

finally...
Corsair-Force-Series-3-120GB-SSD.jpg

Overclocked i5-2500K (4.4+GHz on air) is faster than an overclocked i7-980X/990X (~3.8-4.2GHzGHz max on air), despite having two cores less and no HyperThreading. Especially in games where games hardly use more than 3 cores orso.

Also, CPU and GPU performance levels don't need to be about equal anyway. For gaming, a C2D is still usually fine, and as more and more CAD and photo/video editing programs improve support for hardware acceleration, massive CPU performance is becoming less of a requirement there, too.

Overclocked i5-2500K (4.4+GHz on air) is faster than an overclocked i7-980X/990X (~3.8-4.2GHzGHz max on air), despite having two cores less and no HyperThreading. Especially in games where games hardly use more than 3 cores orso.

What he said.
Although I'm not overclocking my 2500k just yet, but in the not so distant future I'm planning on upgrading the system with watercooling before overclocking it to ~4.5GHz

Edit: here she is up and running (yes the cables in the background are a mess, I need to sort those out)

IMG-20110529-00042.jpg

Last edited:
Also, CPU and GPU performance levels don't need to be about equal anyway. For gaming, a C2D is still usually fine, and as more and more CAD and photo/video editing programs improve support for hardware acceleration, massive CPU performance is becoming less of a requirement there, too.

Pretty much that, you are not going to be taxing CPU much in most games (some are more CPU dependant than others but nothing an i5 couldn't handle)

This weekend I be getting new components.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67A-USB3-B3
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
Memory: Kingston PC1600 4+4GB DDR3
Storage: 1x Kingston SSD 64GB V100PC; 1x Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 32MB 1TB
Graphics: Geforce GTX 470 (already have)

:drool:

You know that a H67 board is not as easy to overclock as a P67/Z68. I think its technically possible, but much harder, and your 2600k will be choked by a cheap board.

Do a lot of welding in your spare time? :p

yes, actually how did you know :eek:

on another note, need to open the box that contains my new fan :O

ps. last time i did welding was 9 years ago

Last edited:

Like RaptorJesus says the mobo really doesn't make the rest justice. + No OC.

Since you are going for a SSD, the Z68 platform supports caching. On Tom's Hardware everyone touts the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 as a great budget Z68 board. I like the bit of extra warranty that comes with a ASUS board, but if you can find a combo deal with the 2600k and any z68 board jump on it.

Because someone is about to suffer a humiliating and unimaginably painful death.

h67 boards do not allow overclocking as a fact, you have to have a P or Z "class" board to overclock. If you don't plan to overclock go with a i7 2600 non K model you will save your self $15-$20. It is the same chip just with the locked multiplier(unlocked is what allows overclocking)

I think it is 2600. That's what it said on the invoice and I just assumed the dealer made a mistake (writes the invoices himself in word, he's old school like that).

so this old tv:
HPIM1940_small.jpg

got replaced as it had some effects in the picture (and seems like the effects are from the dvb-t -device instead of the tv uups :? ).

so now we have this:
Samsung LE40D585 :eek:

010620111367.jpg

I just got a nice new and shiny Crucial M4 SSD (128GB) to replace my old Intel X25-M (80GB) that I sold to a friend.

m4_ssd.gif

Man that thing is fast!

The cloning from the X25 to the M4 was actually pretty fun to watch, running at speeds around 200MB/s to 250MB/s with both installed in my MacBook Pro :-d

wohoo... my SSD actually gets bottlenecked by the damned SATA 6Gb controller on my mainboard which doesn't deliver what it promises...
but hey, it's still insanely fast, especially when coming from a normal hdd :)

so TechZ wanted better quality pic and ZeDestructor wanted comparizon pic "for teh lulz" and here is the result!

So a comparison between 40" hdtv vs. 15.4" hp laptop vs. Nokia 5800XM

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viilaaja/2011/06/02/HPIM3409.JPG

and for TechZ, this is the best quality i can do, unless you wanna lend me better camera with a photographer :p

Last edited: