Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Pbpbpbpbpbpbbbbbbb... $7k for a crop-frame body? I've got to have some of what they're smoking; it's got to be the best trip anyone's ever discovered. :rofl:

Who do they think the are? Leica?
Hurr, they think they can compete with medium format, such as the Pentax 645d, and Hasselblad... Baring in mind this is a Foveon sensor, it should have both the D3x and 1Ds MkIII beaten on resolution, details and color accuracy, on paper at least, durr.

well it shouldnt be compared to 1ds mkIII, more to 1d mkIV

Question: should I trade my 55-200 VR for a Nikon F80? *looks at nikon guys*

I really want to get into film photography and I don't often use my 55-200 but I'm still not convinced it's worth it.

Last edited:
Going roughly by what F80's are going for on eBay at the moment and what a 55-200 VR is worth used, that seems like a decently-fair trade. It's really up to you whether you want to or not.

Question: should I trade my 55-200 VR for a Nikon F80? *looks at nikon guys*

I really want to get into film photography and I don't often use my 55-200 but I'm still not convinced it's worth it.

I know it's not what you were asking but I'd really try to get an F100 if you can, the build quality is vastly superior. I didn't think it would be a big step up from my F80 but it was.

I know it's not what you were asking but I'd really try to get an F100 if you can, the build quality is vastly superior. I didn't think it would be a big step up from my F80 but it was.

I know, I had my sights set on one of those but they go for more than double the price of the F80. So that's well out of my reach now.

Dude takes long exposure images of SFO (San Francisco) airport. Click here for original article.

airport11-1306349914.jpg

airport2-1306349910.jpg

airport13.jpg

airport3-1306349910.jpg

airport4-1306349911.jpg

I sooo wanna try this.

I need to try this as well... I wonder if there are any places around LAX where I could do this.

Isn't there some hill that aspies airplane anoraks spotters like to sit at near LAX? And those pictures were already posted... somewhere... probably the aviation thread... still awesomesauce though.

What is a standard light stand mount? Is it the same 1/4" or 3/8" screw as a tripod?

I'm looking at buying a portable softbox / L-bracket setup like this one. Would I able to mount that on a tripod?

I need to try this as well... I wonder if there are any places around LAX where I could do this.

You kidding? There are amazing views of LAX from public areas. For starters this In-N-Out is pretty famous for its views of the runways.

You probably want to get some height to get shots like that guy, but LAX has really great views from Sepulveda, better than most airports I've seen.

Last edited:
Could someone please give me some pointers on shooting in low-light, such as in a theatre with dim lighting or just overall poor light conditions? I don't like using the in-built pop-up flash because then only my subject is illuminated and everything else is dark. I tried shooting with flash off at ISO 3200/6400 but I thought the images were of low quality and darker than they should be ideally. I figure you should make the most of what light there is, but are there any tips/tricks to getting the most out of your shots? Or perhaps a more suitable lens for low light conditions?

I have a Canon 600D with the 18/55mm kit lens. Any help would be appreciated :)

you can try to sneak a monopod too, but i dont think that counts as a good advice

I think the best option is to buy a nice, fast, sharp 50/1.8. I don't know about the Canon version but for Nikon it's dirt cheap.

it would be 50mm 1.8 II, a bit plasticy lens, but its great from 2.0 forward. and 1.8 isnt too shabby either. Bokeh is a bit messy bit who can argue with price under ?100.

And as a sidenote, i am this || close for closing a deal on my 350d (which is broken) replace unit, Canon 5D.

I think the best option is to buy a nice, fast, sharp 50/1.8. I don't know about the Canon version but for Nikon it's dirt cheap.
Canon's is cheaper and actually better.

Just ordered

B+W 77mm #106 Neutral Density (ND) 1.8 Filter

B+W Step-Up Ring (Lens to Filter) 72mm - 77mm

Heliopan 58-77mm Step-up Ring #145

Mmmmm...nice quality B+W filter. Nice!