Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I think he did via the car's computer, most likely with an OBD-II cable PC interface for VAG cars. As I recall, Audis have lots of options regarding lights and various electrics.

I know about the cable and what it can do on my car, I was just inquiring about the cost.

My grandmother saw one of these today and said she liked it...

2011-Honda-Civic.jpg

This is a woman who can't drive and knows absolutely nothing about cars, let alone ever notices them.

And to think I thought Honda was doing a good job of scaring old people off.

She likes it because it looks angry and will scare the peeps off her lawn! :p

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have got to stop looking at cars for sale online until I actually have some money! Now I'm thinking that the 2005-08 Hyundai Tiburon GT with the V6 doesn't look all that bad. It's cheap, and with the hatch, practical. God, I need help!

I have also decided that I will not be buying any Cadillacs. Why any manufacturer of luxury cars would choose to put an interior that plasticky in their cars is beyond my ken. What's ok in a $20K Chevrolet is unforgivable in a $60K Cadillac. It's no wonder Cadillac stopped using the slogan "The Standard of the World."

Although if I see a CTS-V for under $20,000, I might change my mind.

Not sure about that, make sure to get one which can adress the 30bit codes of newer models :)

Gee, aren't I glad I asked! I had heard they were about $130 minimum, so my hope was always to find someone to borrow a VAG-COM from.

My only task now would be to find a laptop... :glare:

That is harder than it seems! I have a 17" one with Win7 64bit which I didn't want to use (too nice, too big, too 64bit, don't trust XP mode for programming), then I grabbed my old one with XP 32, which has no battery, then I tried my mum's old one, which had a battery but only lasted 10 mins. Now I run my old one with an extension cord :D :D

I'm not wondering anymore why there are cars with really severe hail damage in Germany. Luckily the storm that went over Stuttgart wasn't that bad and I could drive the 406 under a bridge for the worst part. I'm glad we get these storm extremely rarely in Finland.

You are telling me - golfball sized hail just 10km north of me, I got a light drizzle. Was on standbye with some blankets and my car keys all the time :/

I've used my hail cover twice already, luckily its usage wasn't needed yet.

Well, what I meant was I've covered my car preemptively twice so far, but it was luckily not neccessary. :p

Probably, but they are wear items.

rick, I can't emphasize just how much you need to either sell the car immediately or figure out why the check engine light keeps coming on. If it's running as rich as you say, you may experience engine failure soon - the 1.9 is known to have issues with carbon buildup on the back of the valves if allowed to run rich for a significant period of time.

30961_intake_vavles_1.jpg

Above is a generic example; eventually the buildup causes the valves not to close all the way. If you're lucky, the car just doesn't run. If you're unlucky, the next time the piston comes up it slams into the valve and that's all for the engine.

Either dump it now while it's running, or fix it. If you don't, you're about to not have a car either way.

Gah so depressing, but so true. I'll look at repair costs then dump it if its cost prohibitive...this is insane.

My grandmother saw one of these today and said she liked it...

2011-Honda-Civic.jpg

This is a woman who can't drive and knows absolutely nothing about cars, let alone ever notices them.

And to think I thought Honda was doing a good job of scaring old people off.

:lol: It's amazing how differently car brands are percieved in different countries. I was shocked when I found out that Honda tends to equal Buick to many people. :p

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have got to stop looking at cars for sale online until I actually have some money! Now I'm thinking that the 2005-08 Hyundai Tiburon GT with the V6 doesn't look all that bad. It's cheap, and with the hatch, practical. God, I need help!

I have also decided that I will not be buying any Cadillacs. Why any manufacturer of luxury cars would choose to put an interior that plasticky in their cars is beyond my ken. What's ok in a $20K Chevrolet is unforgivable in a $60K Cadillac. It's no wonder Cadillac stopped using the slogan "The Standard of the World."

Although if I see a CTS-V for under $20,000, I might change my mind.

Hah, I'm in the same boat weekly...thanks a lot eBay Motors <_<

Gah so depressing, but so true. I'll look at repair costs then dump it if its cost prohibitive...this is insane.

You really need to stop. I saw this sindrome with my dad an a Ford Aerostar, he kept on fixing it. I even once added all the repair bills and presented them to him, he still would't budge. I don't recall what made him finally tick and get rid of it, but it was so long after trully necessary he had gone through several thousands.
He sold it not running for next to nothing.

Damn, maybe. 4-speed would explain the price...