No 56k: Grand Theft Auto IV

I know I am 2 years late...but I just finished the main story. I am very disappointed. Both Vice City and San Andreas were a lot more creative and the missions were more diverse. I would even say that you had more freedom in the previous games. In GTA IV I spent most of the time just driving around. The missions felt very stale.

I know I am 2 years late...but I just finished the main story. I am very disappointed. Both Vice City and San Andreas were a lot more creative and the missions were more diverse. I would even say that you had more freedom in the previous games. In GTA IV I spent most of the time just driving around. The missions felt very stale.

For me it made up for it with the gameplay. Going back and playing San Andreas, it just feels awful. It's true though that there was just so much more variety of stuff to do... they need to go back to their roots but keep the current game engine.

Sorry for grave-digging this thread, but I finally got around to buying GTA4 today. I played it for a few hours, getting use to the controls and maps, etc. But I find myself already growing tired of it. I guess I'm just not interested in video games anymore. As a kid I wasn't that interested either, but I've owned all the GTA games and I love them, albeit for the free roam aspect more than anything else. I've played a handful of missions so far on GTA4 and I can't see myself getting very far with it. I just don't have the patience or any interest in the missions. I was running one just a little while ago that took me a few attempts because I kept screwing up and I found myself yawning and wanting to turn it off and go browse online or something instead. I kind of had to force myself to finish the mission. And of course once I finished it, I had no desire to start a new one.

Anyway, that's off topic really. I was curious about the various cheat codes for the game. I know in the past if you used codes the game would screw you over at some point. But I couldn't find any details about what happens in GTA4 other than you can't get 100% completion. Does anybody know? I have no desire in beating the game anyway, but I want to follow the storyline and see how it ends. Is it something simple like it just wont go past 99%? Or is there a mission at some point that becomes impossible?

You won't get your trophies for using certain cheats, but you can still complete the game... I think.

Reactions: TC
How long did you play GTA4 TomCat? While not everyone was entirely happy with the game, haven't really heard a fan of the franchise find it as boring as you.

Regarding the cheat codes, I don't believe they do anything major, though I never saved my game when I was using them (just used in free roam). The only thing is it keeps you from 100% completion (and the related achievement) and keeps a track of how many times you have cheated which you can see in your stats.

When you activate the cheats you can't save the game... I think.

How long did you play GTA4 TomCat? While not everyone was entirely happy with the game, haven't really heard a fan of the franchise find it as boring as you.
It's not that I find it boring exactly, I just don't have much patience for games in general anymore. I'm fine with running missions and all that, so long as I know what I need to do. There has already been a couple missions where I was clueless, running or driving and not really knowing what I need to be doing. But what gets me bored even more is when I have to run the same mission a bunch of times in order to beat it. That bores the hell out of me and I usually quit playing when it happens too often. This applies to all games really.

That's why I love free roam and/or cheats, I can do whatever I want and not worry about dying or whatever. Of course, right now the maps are still largely locked down, so I can only wander around the first island. Although I'm sure the cheats can help me with that obstacle.

Regarding the cheat codes, I don't believe they do anything major, though I never saved my game when I was using them (just used in free roam). The only thing is it keeps you from 100% completion (and the related achievement) and keeps a track of how many times you have cheated which you can see in your stats.
I hope that is the case. The only thing that bothers me about not beating a game is not finding out how the story ends. Lots of new games have great story-lines with great characters, it's almost like an interactive movie, rather than a silly video game. It just annoys me when I can't get past a certain mission. It's like reading a book and not being able to turn the page past 320. Or watching a movie and not being able to see the last 15 minutes. It just pisses me off. :lol:

When you activate the cheats you can't save the game... I think.
I know Red Dead Redemption is that way, but I don't think GTA4 is. I keep seeing warnings that you should avoid saving the game, but nothing saying you cannot.

Really? How does that work?

Save to usb and transfer to ps3. Should work, but because its pre-trophy it'll say not applicable with trophies, or something like. Either way worth a shot.

linky

I didn't like gta4 at first, took me about 8 hours in to like it, now I just kill people.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Aston. Tried it out and it works great. One of these days I'll go back and play more missions, maybe. :p

There are some good missions you are missing. The big bank robbery one, in particular, felt like the famous scene from Heat It is pretty good overall. Also, the Ballad of Gay Tony was even better. If you do anything, buy that DLC. The story and characters are great and it imbues...even charges, liberty city with a lot more charisma and excitement. Its subtle, but it really improves the whole atmosphere. At least I thought so.

There are some good missions you are missing. The big bank robbery one, in particular, felt like the famous scene from Heat It is pretty good overall. Also, the Ballad of Gay Tony was even better. If you do anything, buy that DLC. The story and characters are great and it imbues...even charges, liberty city with a lot more charisma and excitement. Its subtle, but it really improves the whole atmosphere. At least I thought so.

We'll see. If I get hooked on the game and start getting more involved with the missions, then I might try it. I've never done the DLC thing though. Truth be told, the only reason I bought a PS3 a few months ago was because I wanted a bluray player for my new TV. Doing the whole HD thing finally. I bought Tiger Woods 11 with it, but I didn't care for it and stopped playing after the third day. It's been a few years since my PS2 broke and I never bothered replacing it with anything until now. I'm a sorry excuse for a gamer, what can I say.

While it's fun to just to random bullshit in GTA4, I'd argue the story is an essential part of the game.

Had a PS3 for about a year now. Only bought 2 games. GT5 and MGS4. Any multi-platformer I typically get for 360. Better controller and support.

The game does start off very slow, it gets better further in.

Indeed, the beginning is really boring while the game teaches you about friend activities and the cell phone, and then a few slow missions that all sandbox games are more or less guilty of.

But things pick up, GTA4 has a pretty amazing story... Niko is a very likeable guy despite the life he leads and that's always what you want in a story, a lead that you are totally conflicted about. Niko manages this far better than any GTA character in my opinion, and possibly as good as any video game character.

It is quite possible that gaming no longer tickles TomCat's fancy, or it's likely that golf games suck ass and he didn't put up with the painful first few bits of GTA4. :D