The Hypocrite List - What NEW cars is JJJ interested in?

I'd stay clear of the Wrangler, or at least go and rent one for a full weekend to see how it works for you. When I worked at a rental company we had about five of them. Hardly anybody had good things to say upon return. Slow, unperpowered, hard on gas and uncomfortable were the usual complaints. They were always going to the dealer for check engine lights, leaky roofs and horrible shifting. Still, its really the only choice if thats the kind of vehicle you end up going for.

Mirroring the others, I'd look closely at the V6 Mustang, Genesis Coupe and maybe a non-sti Subaru. As tempting as it would be to go as far performance wise as possible you're most likely going to be commuting to school and stuck in Vancouvers traffic 99% of the time.

Camaro 2SS? :drool:

camaro_family_background.jpg

Challenger R/T?

dodge_challenger_1024x768.jpg

BMW 135i?

1series_coupe_wallpaper_02.jpg

Or a 500 Sport?

2012_fiat_500_actf34_fd_126113_815.jpg

Well that's the first time I have seen Musclecars, a Beemer and a fiat 500 in one list that's for sure :p

I'd stay clear of the Wrangler, or at least go and rent one for a full weekend to see how it works for you. When I worked at a rental company we had about five of them. Hardly anybody had good things to say upon return. Slow, unperpowered, hard on gas and uncomfortable were the usual complaints. They were always going to the dealer for check engine lights, leaky roofs and horrible shifting. Still, its really the only choice if thats the kind of vehicle you end up going for.

Mirroring the others, I'd look closely at the V6 Mustang, Genesis Coupe and maybe a non-sti Subaru. As tempting as it would be to go as far performance wise as possible you're most likely going to be commuting to school and stuck in Vancouvers traffic 99% of the time.

JJJ owned a CJ for awhile. A Wrangler would be a big improvement over that in terms of comfort. :p

^ It'd be like driving a Cadillac :p

But Shawnw brings up good point's about the motor, I'm not too sure about the V6 they have in there right now. It's no 4.0l

I'm actually semi-serious, make sure you can afford the upkeep unless your parents will also cover that.

This also factors in quite a bit, I'll be paying for the insurance and matinence. This is also part of the reason the Subaru is at the top of the list.

For any members who own a WRX or STI (there are a few) how's the real world fuel economy? Websites put it in the low 20mpg range which isn't too bad but it seems like it's a bit low considering it's only a turbo 4cyl.

Last edited:
To be blunt, the caravan v6 that's in the wrangler is a torqueless piece of shit that needs to be pressed halfwayto the floor just to get going.

Well that's the first time I have seen Musclecars, a Beemer and a fiat 500 in one list that's for sure :p

Also the 500 sport isn't sporty. You are still looking at similar acceleration as my car, if you want a sporty 500 I believe the abarth is due soon?

To be blunt, the caravan v6 that's in the wrangler is a torqueless piece of shit that needs to be pressed halfwayto the floor just to get going.

Yah, that's pretty much what I meant, I was just trying to be soft about it :lol:

Also the 500 sport isn't sporty. You are still looking at similar acceleration as my car, if you want a sporty 500 I believe the abarth is due soon?

Although I do like the Fiat 500, I could never own one. It just isn't my kind of car. An original 500 though is a whole other story.

This also factors in quite a bit, I'll be paying for the insurance and matinence. This is also part of the reason the Subaru is at the top of the list.

Here's hoping you have a good discount with ICBC then. :lol:

You might want to poke Jay about the Subaru. He bleeds blue and gold.

He hasn't been around much lately, I was hoping he would be lurking and stumble upon this thread.

I won't bother PMing him until things become a bit more concrete.

Here's hoping you have a good discount with ICBC then. :lol:

I haven't looked into it, but I don't expect it could be any worse than a Mustang, and I know for a fact that comprehensive on Jeeps is pretty steep because they tend to get broken into/stolen.

Last edited:
^ It'd be like driving a Cadillac :p

But Shawnw brings up good point's about the motor, I'm not too sure about the V6 they have in there right now. It's no 4.0l

Super charger? :p

Apart from that, it's Italian.....ieeeeeuuuuuwwwww :p

Last edited:
Either the STi or as Shawn says, the Golf.

Or do Mazda sell the Mazda3 MPS over there? Very understated and with 230bhp pretty rapid.

Either the STi or as Shawn says, the Golf.

Or do Mazda sell the Mazda3 MPS over there? Very understated and with 230bhp pretty rapid.

It's the Mazdaspeed 3 over here, and indeed is a great car, a co-worker just bought one. A shame that it's front wheel drive but I'd have one anyway.

For any members who own a WRX or STI (there are a few) how's the real world fuel economy? Websites put it in the low 20mpg range which isn't too bad but it seems like it's a bit low considering it's only a turbo 4cyl.

my mom drives an 04 WRX daily which i have also driven extensively from what i recall 20 is about right for city/nonhighway driving. I will see if i can get some hard numbers from her tonight or tomorrow

Do you think your father could deal with a CPO car? That would open your options up greatly.

You could easily get into an E90 335i/328i or a G37S, should you want to go that route. Heck, you might even be able to swing a Boxster.

Outside of that, my vote goes for the Mustang (either GT or V6) or the WRX/STi.

It's the Mazdaspeed 3 over here, and indeed is a great car, a co-worker just bought one. A shame that it's front wheel drive but I'd have one anyway.

Quiky's Mazda 3 was a lemon.