The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

That'd be a pretty cool crossover, don't you think?

Stop giving Hollywood ideas!

Portal + Dinosaurs = Win.

That Jeep is just so much win!

I'm putting "learning to restore & make awesome replica cars" on my bucket list.

Considering that the 1 fils coin isn't circulating anymore I'd say you deal in 1/200th of the base unit in every day commerce :p

Have you ever paid your gas in tenth of cent? Unlikely. The actual daily commerce happens in whole cent.

No, but the price is listed to the hundredth of a cent. The receipt shows (for example) $3.989 / gallon. It's a common example of a case where 1.000 does not mean thousand. Granted, there's no confusion over here, and I don't know for sure if other countries do this 9/10ths bullshit with fuel.

No, but the price is listed to the hundredth of a cent. The receipt shows (for example) $3.989 / gallon. It's a common example of a case where 1.000 does not mean thousand. Granted, there's no confusion over here, and I don't know for sure if other countries do this 9/10ths bullshit with fuel.

They do the 9/10th bullshit here as well, usually advertised as 1539. However, the receipt's total - what you actually pay, ie daily commerce - shows 69,99 EUR in case of the Astra's last fuel bill instead of the precise figure of 69,99372.

Last edited:
You know, if you'd transload those to phyrefile or something it would at least look like you'd be putting some effort in this, instead of just copypasting every picture on 9gag. Also a neat opportunity to dial in some quality control. Hintedy-hint-hint.

I prefer Imgur for two reasons a) Imgur uploading addon on Firefox and b) I usually post the pictures on other boards and some require the users to upload pictures only to Imgur or Tinypic. ;)

That would be it then. We used to have a car purchase tax of 10% which was then dropped to 5% and finally abolished. Also you pay 23% VAT whereas we pay 20 (was 17.5 :( ).

Thanks.

Portugal's got a car sales tax within a tax. Taxception.

They do the 9/10th bullshit here as well, usually advertised as 1539. However, the receipt's total - what you actually pay, ie daily commerce - shows 69,99 EUR in case of the Astra's last fuel bill instead of the precise figure of 69,99372.

As you said, nobody uses such currency so you pay in hundredths, but the price is calculated first in thousandths, then rounded. I'd say it's part of the transaction and it is certainly written in that form, both at the pump where the last digit is tiny for non-emphasis and on the receipt where it is not.

Ah screw it, this conversation is neither funny nor pictorial.

I prefer Imgur for two reasons a) Imgur uploading addon on Firefox and b) I usually post the pictures on other boards and some require the users to upload pictures only to Imgur or Tinypic. ;)

Phyrefile has an addon phor Phyrefox.

thevictor: We could take screenshots of our convo in Comic Sans... that font makes everything funny, right? :lol:

Phyrefile has an addon phor Phyrefox.

thevictor: We could take screenshots of our convo in Comic Sans... that font makes everything funny, right? :lol:

The only funny part would be the imminent banhammer :lol:

After a bit of a rough start..

21lqzrm.jpg

:tease:

But, regarding the thread being off track -

http://img828.imageshack.**/img828/5865/823300338.jpg

Last edited: