Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Not sure never tried, but I can tell you that wine sux horribly (at least in my experience) the heavier and more complex the application the more problems you are going to have. Random crashes are not uncommon and updates break shit quite easily. Maybe look for a wine like program that does the same with OS X apps, after all OS X and Linux are much closer together than Windows and Linux.

So basically none of the options I have work. :|
Lovely.

The article says it was tested against NTLM passwords. That only leaves MD4 and MD5, both have digest lengths of 128bit.

They didn't mention which version. DES was used originally.

The GPU brute-force tool does not do DES, hence that is ruled out.

Is there an article that goes more in depth on this oppose to "OMG EXCRUPTION NO LONGER WORKZZZZZ111!!"?

Is there an article that goes more in depth on this oppose to "OMG EXCRUPTION NO LONGER WORKZZZZZ111!!"?

Idunno, I just downloaded the tool and tested it :dunno:

Also, this is not about encryption. Hash functions do not encrypt because there is no way to decrypt - in theory there is an infinite number of input values that map to the same digest. Hence you cannot retrieve the original value, quite a basic feature of decryption. You can of course find a value that happens to map to a digest, but there is no way to know whether it was the value that initially generated the digest.

If you wanted to crack DES you could just buy a COPACOBANA machine from Kiel University and launch its oodles of parallel FPGAs.

Last edited:
Overclock successful! (first for me). 2.66 GHz -> 3.06 GHz on the stock cooler. This Gigabyte motherboard is great, lots and lots of settings to play with and overclocking is simply a matter of adjusting the CPU clock setting. At least until I need to up the voltage.

If this is stable for a few days I'll get one of those giant scary coolers and see how far this can go. Currently, temperature under full load reaches about 65 C.

My mum has an old laptop, running Vista which is on a couple of month old fresh install.
It of course runs like garbage, it took 10 minutes today after firing up to get to a website to run.

It passes Win 7 upgrade advisor, specs are mimimum
Compaq C550EM laptop main specifications ?
? Intel Celeron M Processor 520
? 1.60GHz
? 533MHz
? 1MB Cache
? 1GB Memory
? Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Basic
? Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

If I strumbled across a copy of Win 7 home/home premium, it can't run any worse than Vista?

My mum has an old laptop, running Vista which is on a couple of month old fresh install.
It of course runs like garbage, it took 10 minutes today after firing up to get to a website to run.

? 1.60GHz
? 533MHz
? 1MB Cache
? 1GB Memory

If I strumbled across a copy of Win 7 home/home premium, it can't run any worse than Vista?

I wouldn't expect miraculous improvement, but it shouldn't be worse. Windows 7 system requirements are pretty much the same as Vista and in my experience it's faster on any machine.

? 1.60GHz
? 533MHz
? 1MB Cache
? 1GB Memory

The 1 GB of RAM and HP/Compaq bloatware are your issues with that machine. Vista really doesn't like running on 1 GB. I thought that it would be fine when i heard the system requirements, as XP ran great on 256 (and ok on 128) but when I had to clean up a roomie's machine and found out he had 1 GB of RAM and a Celeron on his Inspiron 1525 I was dumbfounded. Adding the 2nd stick of RAM totally transformed the machine. It was a night and day difference, and reinforced my decision to get a laptop with 2 GB of RAM back when Vista launched. With 2 GB of RAM, Vista was fine for me.

As far as Windows 7 goes, you'll notice a performance improvement for sure, because of the tweaked memory management, mainly surrounding how windows are drawn on screen. I installed Windows 7 on a XPS 400 desktop with 1 GB of RAM and the performance is impressive, ditto the netbook.

I'd go with whatever's cheaper, if RAM's cheaper for you, get the additional RAM and don't look back. If Windows 7 is, then get that.

Or get both if it's in your budget.

The 1 GB of RAM and HP/Compaq bloatware are your issues with that machine. Vista really doesn't like running on 1 GB. I thought that it would be fine when i heard the system requirements, as XP ran great on 256 (and ok on 128) but when I had to clean up a roomie's machine and found out he had 1 GB of RAM and a Celeron on his Inspiron 1525 I was dumbfounded. Adding the 2nd stick of RAM totally transformed the machine. It was a night and day difference, and reinforced my decision to get a laptop with 2 GB of RAM back when Vista launched. With 2 GB of RAM, Vista was fine for me.

As far as Windows 7 goes, you'll notice a performance improvement for sure, because of the tweaked memory management, mainly surrounding how windows are drawn on screen. I installed Windows 7 on a XPS 400 desktop with 1 GB of RAM and the performance is impressive, ditto the netbook.

I'd go with whatever's cheaper, if RAM's cheaper for you, get the additional RAM and don't look back. If Windows 7 is, then get that.

Or get both if it's in your budget.

I would say put RAM in no matter what, 7 has better memory management for sure but most of the speed in modern OS's depends on pre-fetching and keeping crap in memory that you use often (like web browser components for instance) so low RAM really hurts them a lot more than it did with XP where it would try to keep memory clear for current tasks.

I would say put RAM in no matter what, 7 has better memory management for sure but most of the speed in modern OS's depends on pre-fetching and keeping crap in memory that you use often (like web browser components for instance) so low RAM really hurts them a lot more than it did with XP where it would try to keep memory clear for current tasks.

Oh I completely agree! When Vista came out it took a long time to get across that whole "free RAM is wasted ram" idea to people. :)

Overclock successful! (first for me). 2.66 GHz -> 3.06 GHz on the stock cooler. This Gigabyte motherboard is great, lots and lots of settings to play with and overclocking is simply a matter of adjusting the CPU clock setting. At least until I need to up the voltage.

If this is stable for a few days I'll get one of those giant scary coolers and see how far this can go. Currently, temperature under full load reaches about 65 C.

Kewl :cool: What processor do you have?

Mine is a bit overclocked i7-920 @ 3.4GHz. Developes a lot of heat :lol: Not a problem in winter, getting a bit irritating now. :lol:

Kewl :cool: What processor do you have?

Mine is a bit overclocked i7-920 @ 3.4GHz. Developes a lot of heat :lol: Not a problem in winter, getting a bit irritating now. :lol:

Just an old E7300 Core 2 Duo. I was forced to replace the motherboard so might as well make some good of it.

Any D-Link DIR-825 owners? Does that router support USB hub, or is it limited to one device at a time?

I did not use much of vista, but when I used vista it was significantly better than 7 in everything I used it for. :|
I expect from here windows 8 will have a feature where it randomly deletes it's entire self from the computer every time you turn it off so you need to constantly reinstall it like windows 7 does to drivers.