Parents won't reveal gender of their baby...

Your son, the next RaptorJesus! He's badass!

PS...when my youngest son was 6, he asked for Barbies for Christmas. When I asked why..he said:

"If I have lots of girls toys here, then all the girls will want to come over and play with me!"

Yes, he had a plan even then. ;)

Damn, why didn't I think of that one as a kid....

Is it possible the parents are being judged on more than just their decision about revealing Storm's gender? The family is of course hardly conventional, choosing to home-school - or "unschool" -- their children, as the parents explain -- and co-sleep together on mattresses pushed together in the parents' bedroom.

smug-alert-south-park.jpg

Yeah, it's why we choose to live in Canada too. It's just so...progressive. Really in the zeitgeist.

I cannot wait until we're all trans/post-humanist cyborgs so this shit will become meaningless. Deus Ex can't come true fast enough.

"Storm", "Jazz" and "Kio" those kids are freaking screwed when they encounter normal non-hippy raised children.

The greatest failing of the baby boomers is the fact that they raised idiots like these people.

If I have a boy, I'm going to raise him with all kinds of masculine things, working on cars, grilling beef over fire, shooting objects etc.. If I have a girl I'm going to raise her with all kinds of masculine things, working on cars.........

I'm a guy, I do guy things. What can I say?

Their other children, two boys named Jazz, 5, and Kio, 2, are often mistaken for girls, which is not unusual.

Are they Transformers?

Am i the only one who's nonplussed by their names. There's plenty of people named Storm and Jazz...maybe not Kio...although that sounds pretty normal too.

That said, I think that while their decisions seem admirable, I can't help but wonder if one of the "trusted few" will reveal the gender to the child when they're old enough. Also, like any child, they're going to ask questions about their body and themselves.

I do think that it's a good thing to let kids play with a wide variety of toys/activities regardless of gender. Creative play is important especially for young children, and culture shows enough stereotypical gender behavior as it is, it's not like playing with a doll is going to influence a person in any meaningful way, they're just having fun.

Am i the only one who's nonplussed by their names. There's plenty of people named Storm and Jazz...maybe not Kio...although that sounds pretty normal too.

That said, I think that while their decisions seem admirable, I can't help but wonder if one of the "trusted few" will reveal the gender to the child when they're old enough. Also, like any child, they're going to ask questions about their body and themselves.

I do think that it's a good thing to let kids play with a wide variety of toys/activities regardless of gender. Creative play is important especially for young children, and culture shows enough stereotypical gender behavior as it is, it's not like playing with a doll is going to influence a person in any meaningful way, they're just having fun.

It's not that the idea is bad but it's how they're raising their kids. Home schooled? There are so many people with social problems that went to public schools. What are these kids gonna do in real life?

Is it possible the parents are being judged on more than just their decision about revealing Storm's gender? The family is of course hardly conventional, choosing to home-school - or "unschool" -- their children, as the parents explain -- and co-sleep together on mattresses pushed together in the parents' bedroom.

They all sleep in the same room...

Trying to erase 250,000 years of social and genetic imprinting will not happen over a generation or two.

Myself I pity these children, they being born and raised to people who, as I mentioned above, think they can alter the basic fundamentals of being human. It is just plain arrogant, and I for one will side with the opinions of parents like MWF.

Trying to erase 250,000 years of social and genetic imprinting will not happen over a generation or two.

Myself I pity these children, they being born and raised to people who, as I mentioned above, think they can alter the basic fundamentals of being human. It is just plain arrogant, and I for one will side with the opinions of parents like MWF.

Oh I agree with you and MWF that by keeping their child in the dark for so long, they will only make his/her life even more difficult when they're older. When would it be right to tell him/her? I realzed that since they're homeschooled it could easily be 18 years before they face this. That's a long time to be kept in the dark, growing up and discovering ones self is hard enough as it is these days.

goddamn hippies

my offspring will like cars and guns and heavy metal music boy or girl.