2011 24 Heures du Mans - 79th Grand Prix d'Endurance, June 11-12 - Race Week Thread

I am watching at work from a live stream, so I am unable to hear commentary. Was Mcnish the rabbit for Audi? That seems to be the only explanation of such an audacious move in an endurance race.

Tough call to make really. He must have come up over the crest at Dunlop, seen the #1 running slow, gone to make the overtake on the right - without knowing about the #58. With the speed they were at, collission was unavoidable.

Similar to what happened with Tom Kristensen and the Art car last year.

I am watching at work from a live stream, so I am unable to hear commentary. Was Mcnish the rabbit for Audi? That seems to be the only explanation of such an audacious move in an endurance race.
He usually is, Mcnish/Cappello/Kristensen usually are the bulldog group of drivers who go balls out.

With the speed they were at, collission was unavoidable.
If McNish would have been a tiny bit faster he would have cleared the Ferrari, but then he would have gone straight into the gravel pit because he would have been too fast for that corner. Additionally, if the Ferrari hadn't have closed the door the accident wouldn't have happened, too, but I think he didn't see McNish at all.

[edit]
Just in: the 007 Aston is retired officially, too...
[/edit]

Last edited:
Here's hoping the #56 BMW can close the gap with the Corvette for some interesting racing.

And the leading GT car #51 takes some time off to visit the gravel trap at Mulsanne Corner.

ETA: And tried his hand at tractor pulling!

Last edited:
My window setup (I have only one monitor):

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eye-q/2011/06/11/lemans.jpg

Lol I feel so outdated watching the whole thing on my TV :p I'm really pleased with Eurosport's coverage though. HD when possible and Eurosport 2 when it's not. Commentators seem to be very up to speed as well. I'm pleased :)

anymore feeds? all the ones i had now either dont work or like eurosport2, arent showing it

Last edited:
Haven't been paying as much attention as I would have liked over the first six hours due to a long night out last night... Damn hot weather and the resulting thirst for beer...

What a massive accident it was for the #3 Audi. Happy to see that the casualties seem to have been limited to one Audi R18 and one photographer's mobile telephone.

Peugeot seems to be strong today but it's incredibly close between the main contenders as far as pace goes. Peugeot's ability to do more laps between pit stops seems to be a major strength but things are so close that one minor issue could tip the balance to either way.

And again a puncture rear left on a GT car, incredibly many punctures today.

#1 Audi overtaking #8 and #9 peugeots, despite having done one more stop. Rockenfeller won 14 seconds in that pitstop including outlap.

Apparently, McNish asked about the state of the spectators and journalist literally minutes after the crash. Wow.

god, the McNish crash was so scary to watch..
The reaction from the pit was exactly how I reacted.
Glad he's fine, but I REALLY wanted to see TK win this thing (again)... >_>

I do wonder how Eurosport thought when they designed their new logo. The old one looked much better, and on the pit crew the white stars blend into their suits, resulting in no stars at all. Blue stars and lowercase e on LIVe for the win.

#1 Audi overtaking #8 and #9 peugeots, despite having done one more stop. Rockenfeller won 14 seconds in that pitstop including outlap.
Not only #1, #2 has one stop more as well and is still in the lead.

The Audis are faster round the track, the Peugeots can stay out one more lap per tank, but as they take quadruple stints on the tires the Peugeots put four more laps on the tires. Could be an advantage, could be a disadvantage, too, but it's still 17 hours to go so everything can happen.