Gran Turismo 5

This game needs more offline races or offline seasons! Haven't really been interested in the online racing since I think that finding suitable races takes so much time o_O

I just beat the Fiat 500 event and got a Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car as a prize!!! :w00t:

Autodromo+Nazionale+di+Monza_2.jpg

I took me like 5 tries to finally come 1st. That damn Audi A2 at the front is so cheap because it has more power and I thought I could draft behind it, but I couldn't get past, so I had to cut the last corner to finally overtake it at the last second to come 1st. :D

It's good to finally see seasonal events that have some challenge to them and have nice payouts (Cr. and XP), prize cars, and new racing outfits. I hope all future seasonal events are like this :D

Last edited:
The fu? I didn't get a car as a prize... or if I did, it wasn't memorable.

I've been thinking lately about why the career in GT5 isn't as rewarding as GT3 (the last GT game I played). Obviously the number of events, and races per each event, are much less, but I don't think that's the primary problem.

I think, for me, the most memorable and enjoyable part of GT3's career was a real sense of progression and ownership of the cars. Winning cars was a little rarer (GT5 doles them out by the boat load), and you didn't win as much money. I literally bought a Lamborghini before even winning half the beginner events. With not as much money, in GT3, you need to repeat events more (just a bit maybe 2 or 3 times, not a whole lot), and you put more thought into the upgrades you purchase for your car. It became a requirement to modify your car in order to even enter some races, ie, adding a turbo to enter the race of turbo sports cars, or lightening it to get into the lightweight races. None of that in GT5, because by the time you need to use a different type of car (turbo or whatever), you've already got 6 to choose from, because the game hands them out like AOL trial CDs. Forza had the same problem in the last 2 games. The sense of progression is diminished.

The special events basically nullify any sense of "starting out" because you can get high end Mercedes and thousands of credits right away.

It literally takes 30 seconds for the game to generate arcade races which are varied and have 16 car fields, on any track, with any car and adequate competition. Why are there not hundreds of events ranging the gamut of car types and speeds? In GT3 there are between 3 and 10 races per event, between 10 and 23 events per category. In GT5 there are just 9 events per category, and between 1 and 6 races per event.

It just kinda pisses me off because I loved GT3's single player to death.

Last edited:
The fu? I didn't get a car as a prize... or if I did, it wasn't memorable.

3rd and 2nd place earn you a new racing suit and helmet and 1st place gives you a level 21 (I think) car. Did you check that little delivery truck on the main menu? ;)

I won a Zonda R for the Subaru event...:glare: (I already have one)

Anyone want it? I'm having trouble finding a Jaguar XJ220 (standard), so if anyone has one of those Jags, I'll give you my Zonda R for it. :D

Also, the Elise event is ridiculously difficult to win (2nd is best I got so far). I think the Fiat and Subaru events were easier because you can cut corners, but you can't cut anything on Tsukuba...:p

Last edited:
The Subaru, I cannot get under a 1:37.
I've made it 25/75 which gave me about a half a second, but still awful overall.

I'm still impressed how much better this game looks in a 1080p tv after playing it in a 720p tv set for all this time.

hey guys, i don't have gt5 but my friend does, so we decided to have a little competition of Forza 3 vs GT5. Ferrari 458 all stock with racing soft tires (GT5) and slicks (Forza). The timed lap was recorded on the 2nd lap and we couldn't understand why there was such a big time difference between the two cars. I did a 7:32.6 while he did it in almost 7:00flat. Provided that the 458's official nurbugring lap time was at 7:32.9, i began to wonder if he was cheating* or is there really a big difference in terms of GT5's timing to that of the real world? Anyone run a 458 time trial at the ring?

Would appreciate your feedback thanks :)

* i couldn't find out if he was cheating because we're in different countries. :lol:

Running soft racing tyres on the 458 in GT5 makes a big difference. I just did a 6:43.980 with a 458 with only an oil change and soft racing tyres, No aids except for 1 ABS.

Running soft racing tyres on the 458 in GT5 makes a big difference. I just did a 6:43.980 with a 458 with only an oil change and soft racing tyres, No aids except for 1 ABS.

wow that quick huh? so what tires do you reckon more or less functions as a semi-slick tire for GT5? He raced with all aids on while i was all aids off

As far as I recall Turn10 didn't model the N?rburgring to excact scale (I think it was samller and wider), so that will make a difference too.

source please? :)

All the cars in Forza 3 have too much grip.

You should try the test again with totally stock settings and see which one is accurate.

I do know that it took a pretty good effort to match the real-world Nissan GTR time in GT5.

Incidentally the 458 in GT5 is one of my favorite virtual cars to drive at the moment. The F430 is also brilliant.

Last edited: