Random Thoughts....

We forgive you Ellie.

And it's one thing to express confusion over someone else's choices, and quite another to make fun of them for it. You've never done that.

And yay! Another Bluenose on the boards!
Or does that only count if you've crossed the Artic Circle aboard a vessel?

HOW DARE YOU.

simpsons_angry_mob.png

Right. So just as I've finished watching the new James May's Toy Story, I receive an e-mail from my Brazilian (host) uncle telling me that yes, he is actually travelling to Europe this year, as planned. Haven't seen anyone from that family for seven years... I'm EXCIIIITEEEED!!!!!!!!! ( <- usage of capital letters and excessive exclamation marks reserved strictly for truly fantastic moments :angel: )

And yay! Another Bluenose on the boards!
Or does that only count if you've crossed the Artic Circle aboard a vessel?
Wait, I thought there's only a "title" for people that have crossed the equator on one? Apparently, I might be a bluenose - if crossings on a tourist ship count.

In other news, "F*** You" by Lily Allen is one song I cannot get out of my head in a hurry. Which is bad news because every so often, you just think "F*** You" when something annoys you.

Last edited:
What the hell is up with me today.

We had a great lab meeting, we had my mentor's dogs over, my labmate's dog over, and my friend's 13 week old puppy over, so it was all fun and games.

When it got time for my work, my light curves using normalized flux values were totally off, while the regular flux ratio was totally right. The uncertainties for these flux values were seriously undervalued (~0.001 to 0.002), and I was getting weird wobbles and jiggles when I should be getting the same light curve as a normal flux ratio.

Then I dig into my code starting at like noon-ish and work until now (6).

Instead of normalizing by doing:

Code:
norm = mags(i,h,j)/mean(mags(i,h,*))

I had

Code:
norm = mags(i,h,j)/mean(mags(i,h,j))

So I basically was taking the mean of just 1 value. Then there were huge spikes and dips and weird things to fix and I noticed that I didn't even have particular values properly laid out and began to fix one stupid problem after another.

Now, after coming back from walking Emily's dog with her, I sit down, look at my code and I see

Code:
diffmags(i,h) = <long equation>

I put a stop in my program and started looking around to see where the error was in the equation, and then realized that it was storing the diffmags in i,h instead of i,j.

WHAT THE CRAP is wrong with my brain.

I later also realized that I had taken my usual chair that I would sit in at my desk and was sitting in a fixed chair that we use for keeping documents on when we don't have enough desk space. I come back from talking to my labmate Sarah across the room, and I'm like "Emily why'd you move my chair". She's like "You've been sitting in that chair since the meeting and I was wondering why you did that".

Something is totally wrong with my head today man. I think I need sleep or something.

Random thought: People ought to worry less about what other people like, and why. Like the nitwits in jedd's life who judge his Doctor Who-ness. One's likes and loves = rather personal. Live and let live. I'm not a Bieber fan, but there's an audience for him and his material, clearly.

Not everything/everyone needs to be loved or even understood by everyone. You know?

Quoting myself here, because I feel I owe many a sincere, heartfelt apology.

You see, I'm a hypocrite, and it only just hit me after writing this post. Some weeks ago, I openly expressed my confusion at those who go to male strip clubs and enjoy it. As such, I'm...beside myself with embarrassment and filled with contrition.

To those of you who enjoy it, please know I'm dearly sorry for questioning/trying to understand your enjoyment. It was not my intention to second guess your love of naked strangers in the company of others. I will do my utmost to take my own advice from here on forward, which, as Labcoatguy wrote, "is easier given than taken". Clearly. I haz fail.

*cries* Do you forgive me? Dare I ever show my face here again? Such. A. Hypocrite.

;) ;) ;)

Confusion is one thing. Annoying the hell out of people is another. I make fun of EVERYONE (including myself) for their choices, tastes, character etc, but that's where it stops, I make fun of, not be an annoyance. Of someone finds my making fun of annoying, I stop... so long as they let me know I'm being I've crossed from the making fun of to asshole prick line at any rate...

Gah, applying for jobs is such a tedious process.

8:57 AM and I've already been awake for 3 hours. Spent the whole of yesterday with a splitting headache, went to sleep at stupid o'clock (7:30 pm) and woke up at stupid o'clock (5:45). :lol:

Exactly. Mozzies go for some people more than others regardless of personal hygiene. I was showering 3x a day in Texas last year and still getting bitten to fuck.
You were also next to the biggest mosquito breeding ground I've ever seen...in the wooooorld, plus it was as hot and sticky as balls. MSR-H seemed considerably better in February.
There's a particular satisfaction in killing the buggers.
You should've seen me when I got a giant can of spider killer. It was like Christmas, but with death! :dance:
What a coincidence...and a segue!

Some people on Facebook "like" the oddest things; one person I know just now "liked" Sheep.

Sheep.

And he is not even Welsh!

Dude, Aggies like sheep. And by "like" I mean, um... nevermind.

Awww, I got beaten to the really obvious aggie joke. :cry:
In other news, "F*** You" by Lily Allen is one song I cannot get out of my head in a hurry. Which is bad news because every so often, you just think "F*** You" when something annoys you.
Booooo, now it's stuck in my head. It's unpossible to get it out of there. UNPOSSIBLE.
Gah, applying for jobs is such a tedious process.
Seriously. Someone just needs to freaking hire me already. I'm losing brain cells from filling out too many stupid, repetitive applications and thus, sitting on my bum way too much. Gah.

Public holidays are great for getting those extra z's, but doing 'Monday stuff' on a Tuesday is proving to be a total mindfuck for me today.

Everything feels WRONG! :blink:

Also, it is epic local fish and chip shop hamburger tiem! YAY! :dance:

its looking like i'm going to have to reduce my hours at the Charity Shop. sodding Bus company has rised their prices and increased the bus fares. the charity i work for doesn't cover the bus fares and annoyingly, neither does the job centre. after the changes i worked it out that 20% of the amount i get is going just on the bus fares. I just honestly don't understand the job centre at times. its not like i would spend the money on anything else. if they wanted the bus tickets as evidence that would be fine as well. I tried explaining this to them only recently and all i got back was a shrug of the shoulder and a "sorry, we can't help you."
its not like i want them to cover the full cost either, just a bit so that the bus fare isn't such a burden while i'm working part time.

its looking like i'm going to have to reduce my hours at the Charity Shop. sodding Bus company has rised their prices and increased the bus fares. the charity i work for doesn't cover the bus fares and annoyingly, neither does the job centre. after the changes i worked it out that 20% of the amount i get is going just on the bus fares. I just honestly don't understand the job centre at times. its not like i would spend the money on anything else. if they wanted the bus tickets as evidence that would be fine as well. I tried explaining this to them only recently and all i got back was a shrug of the shoulder and a "sorry, we can't help you."
its not like i want them to cover the full cost either, just a bit so that the bus fare isn't such a burden while i'm working part time.

Can you atleast get a 'concession' ticket if you haven't already?

Nope, all bus fares have to come out of my pocket. Neither the charity shop, jobcenter or the bus firm itself are interested in helping me out.

In the words of Norman Tebbit in the 80s, on your bike. Get fitter, save money, increased endorphin levels.......

In the words of Norman Tebbit in the 80s, on your bike. Get fitter, save money, increased endorphin levels.......
/crosspost from the annoy me thread - had a nice discussion with a buddy the other day in wich I sort of got the same answer. I was just in total disbelief that he?d actually advised me to "take the bike to work" when I was just complaining about how I have to drive with ze car for more than half an hour and the bus takes roughly a complete hour ... and he?s telling me to take something that?s not even half as fast as the Bus. 4 hours on the bicycle on a workday ... what a great idea. Why don?t I go the literal extra mile and fucking MARCH? WITH A 40 POUND BACKPACK???? WOULD THAT BE GREAT FOR MY FITNESS AND SAVE ME MONEY?!?!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well it was only a suggestion. From someone who used to cycle to and from college daily as a teenager.

Roughly 20km.

Each way.

:p

Not any more. This was back in my clean living days before I had discovered things like beer and gurlz.