Rotaries

Dempsey's lap was weak and slow. Just found a video where the original champ Johnny Herbert also took it out for a lap. This one is effectively balls out...in a priceless car!

The sound...the sound!!

:motherofgod:

New setup on the Madbul. 583whp with a restricted exhaust system! That means it will likely make over 700bhp n/a!!!

Dear sweet Jesus. Listen to 0:24-0:35

:-O

edit: More in-depth video of Madbul MkV

Last edited:
I'm going to see it in two weeks time. :mrgreen:

Take copious amounts of videos. I wish he'd bring that car to the states...

I'm glad to see 4 rotors are becoming more common. The sound is incredible.

/me faints.
Oh Mazda, please please PLEASE, sell Wankels here!

It hasn?t been updated since 2000.
Also, they never sold the Miata here, only the Millenia, MX3 and MPV, AFAIK.
Mazda had a business partner, not a real strategy, sadly.

Any other Aussies visit the WTAC yesterday? Mad mike's display after the trophy presentation was an orgasm of noise, flames, and tyre smoke illuminated by flames.

Awesome. How did he do in the event?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/11/rotary-engine-development-halted-at-mazda/ said:
At the end of 2011, the Mazda RX-8 rotary-powered sport coupe/sedan will cease to exist in new-car showrooms. With it, the mass-produced rotary engine will take another hiatus. The original plan was to have the Renesis, the world's only mass-produced rotary, come back maybe as early as 2017 in a new sports car. In fact, we just heard reports that Mazda's rotor-obsessed gearhead engineers were still manning the program, albeit at a reduced pace.

According to Wards Auto, though, that plan may soon go south thanks to a weakened Japanese economy.The Renesis program is reportedly at the top of the list of programs to kill, and development on a new rotary has supposedly been halted for now. Mazda hopes it will be able to pick up its work in rotaries again sometime in the future, but the piston-free mills also have fuel economy and emissions woes to contend with, which may dampen their chances even further.

So, where does the truth ultimately lie? Our guess is that it would take a lot to get Mazda to abandon its rotary program entirely, considering how much history the Japanese automaker has tied up in the Wankel. That said, unless major inroads are made in efficiency, future rotary applications my be extremely few and far between... and a revival of the iconic RX line may never come to fruition.

Until we hear any official word from Mazda, you can find us in the corner crossing our fingers at 9,000 rpm.

Sniff :cry:

I thought they were going with this..... I heard they were contemplating the use of lasers to initiate combustion as a way of getting around some of the emissions problems. It sounded awesome.

The thing is though, PM regulations already hammmer diesel cars and soon we are going to need PM after treatment for petrol engines too when they start regulating by particle count and not mass. Part of the work going towards reducing petrol PM is in the contact mechanics (tribology) looking at how they can avoid lube oil making its way past the piston rigs and lining the upper clyinders where it can be incompletely burnt producing PM and uHCs.

We all know the rotary has a thing about eating a bit more oil than a normal piston engine...

It doesnt look to bright for the rotary but I hope they can do it!!! the world will be a better place for it.

vaderno.jpg

Original article:

http://wardsauto.com/ar/mazda_rotary_road_110805/

Has Mazda Rotary Reached End of Road?
By Byron Pope
WardsAuto.com, Aug 8, 2011 8:57 AM
VANCOUVER, BC ? After 44 years, the future of the rotary engine at Mazda, the last mass-market auto maker to produce the piston-less mill, is cast in doubt.

The engine has been offered on the Mazda RX-8 since its introduction for the ?04 model year. But the sports car is being discontinued following the ?11 model year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Several reports suggest research on a next-generation rotary is ongoing, with a new version to debut in coming years, perhaps as early as 2017.

However, Kiyoshi Fujiwara, Mazda executive officer-product planning and powertrain development, says there is ?huge discussion? within the Hiroshima, Japan-based company whether to continue on with a rotary engine.

Fujiwara says economic hardship has some top brass looking for programs to cut, and that the engine program is on the list.

Continuing development of the rotary has been halted for now, but he hopes it will resume in the future, noting the technology is a part of Mazda?s DNA.

?I?ve always said rotary engines literally are part of our soul,? Fujiwara tells Ward?s at a media event here. ?We have to continue the rotary-engine evolution.?

Apart from budgetary reasons, rotary engines also pose technical disadvantages in light of increasingly strict fuel-economy and emissions standards. They are less fuel-efficient than their traditional counterparts and don?t burn as cleanly.

Mazda rotary still offered in RX-8 sports car.
They also have been known for their durability problems and burn oil quickly.

Unlike traditional engines, rotaries lack pistons, instead using a triangular rotor that spins in a circular housing. As it spins, openings around the housing are used for the intake, compression, combustion and exhaust cycles.

The setup involves fewer moving parts than conventional piston engines and allows for greater power density, smoothness and high-rpm operation.

Because of these attributes, Mazda continued development of the rotary while other auto makers abandoned it, claiming the engine fit the brand?s ?zoom-zoom? performance heritage and made it unique in the industry.

Fujiwara says there are three fundamental problems with the current rotary engine. He declines to describe the issues but says two of them have been overcome.

Ironically, the rotary engine?s fate may rest in the hands of Mazda?s forthcoming Skyactiv powertrain technology, which includes a line of efficient gas and diesel engines, as well as new transmissions and architectures.

If Skyactiv is profitable, ?We get money to invest in (the) rotary engine,? Fujiwara says.

Related Stories
Mazda Betting Big on New Engines
Rotary Engine Finally Could Find Home in Future Hybrids
The first Skyactiv technology, a 2.0L gas engine, is set to debut this October in the Mazda3 C-car. Plans call for the technology to migrate to all Mazda vehicles as they are refreshed, the auto maker says.

But even if rotary engines never again directly drive the wheels of a Mazda vehicle, they may prove beneficial should the auto maker develop an extended-range electric vehicle akin to the Chevrolet Volt.

The Volt uses a small 1.4L gas engine to generate electricity to drive the electric powertrain. A rotary engine creates less vibration than a piston engine and achieves optimal performance when running at a steady speed, making it an ideal fit for an EREV, says Robert Davis, senior vice president of Mazda?s U.S. operations.

?If you?re able to build a rotary that?s tuned to a very specific load and rpm, they?re very efficient,? Davis tells Ward?s. ?Certainly, we?ve looked at those possibilities.?

Audi and supplier AVL Powertrain Engineering already are exploring the possibility of putting a rotary engine in an EREV.

AVL last year told Ward?s rotary engines offer a packaging advantage over conventional piston engines in such applications.

?The nice thing about piston engines is everybody has them, but piston engines are too large,? said Gary Hunter, chief technologist-diesel engines.

If you have an hour to kill, I highly recommend this video. Very interesting. I hope to do this some day. :cool:

Awesome. How did he do in the event?

Not that well to be honest, he was pretty forgettable in the drift battles, his solo shows are where the awesome is.