Last Space Shuttle Launch Meetup

Sounds like fun but i'm not sure i can make it to the kenedy space center in july. or any other place stateside for that matter :|

i live about 30 minutes from there so let me know if this is on. If you dont know, driving out there for a launch is very easy but making it back just 40 miles can take 5 hours with all the traffic. This being the last launch, it will be even worse. May be better to meet somewhere away from the cape. you can still see the shuttle launch in almost anyplce in florida with a view of the eastern sky.

i have been wanting to organize a meet here in florida for a long time now, if only just to hang out and put faces with the names, so this would be a great excuse.

Last edited:
making it back just 40 miles can take 5 hours with all the traffic
To get from where we watched the launch to a dinner spot about 10 miles away, and then from there to Orlando took seven hours. And it was double hell because all of us that drove down (from Missouri) hadn't really slept yet.

It's totally worth it, though. We had a shady beach-side spot with a clear view of the launch pad about 12 miles away or so, and I'm pretty confident we can get that same spot.

Last edited:
lol, well, as i said, i live in casselberry (thats on the east side of orlando) just north of that road you took to get back to orlando. we could work something out.

I read the thread title as "Mishap" but then I am due an eye test. Dearly wish I could come over for that but funds don't permit although I will get an extra lottery ticket on Saturday and keep my fingers crossed.

Have fun all.

Damn, I wish I could see this. Seeing a shuttle launch was on my bucket list, but it looks as though I'm probably going to miss my chance.

Yup. Concorde was on mine too. :(

Damn, I wish I could see this. Seeing a shuttle launch was on my bucket list, but it looks as though I'm probably going to miss my chance.

Ditto. Almost worth flying out there to see it. Almost.

Saw Atlantis last year - I have a Youtube of it - Cobol741955 user, Title "My First video effort" or something like that, at work at the moment so I can not look at Youtube.

Locals say the night launces were the best, did the space centre and the manned space centre and a tour of the launch pads - brilliant.

If you can go it is worth it, especially for you Americans, something to be really proud of.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFIlb2gxkho[/youtube]

This is the view from where we would be. You can see the VAB in the background.
197268_556568760416_83504264_31482835_1430348_n.jpg

Yes, night launches will blow your mind. As I have said before, every single launch is just as brilliant and awe inspiring as the last. It just never gets old.

Well I'm still going, as are some of my friends, but I'm not sure there's any FG interest.

Ditto. Almost worth flying out there to see it. Almost.

If I had the money. I would. And I'm not just talking, had the spare change. If I had enough money... period. I would.

Damnit, if only I were not on the other side of the country. I would do it if I could. It's something I've always wanted to see.