Time For My First Car! - Need Advice

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
Looking for my first car (to be shared with my sis). Don't know if i'm going to go the used or new car route though.

Used car would be around $10,000 after tax while a New car as long as the payments are roughly $450 after tax (less the better but could run slightly more) - Assume around $25,000 Maximum

Some considerations to be taken:
Decent fuel economy (10.0L/100km, can sacrifice a bit)
Easy to drive, decent handling
Enough power to merge on the highway (Test drive will help)
Decent optioned (not barebones)
Reliable and cost efficient
Slushbox (cuz of my sis)
Can't think of some other factors at the moment.

Some used cars i'm considering are:
Audi A4 (02-05)
Honda Accord (03-06)
Infiniti G35 (03-05)
Lexus IS300 (01-05)
Mazda3 (First gen)
Toyota Matrix (First gen)
Volkswagen Jetta (one before current one)

Some new cars i'm considering are (Might have missed some):
Honda Fit - Don't really like the driving position
Mazda3
Nissan Altima - Maybe in the future (size)
Nissan Sentra
Scion tC
Toyota Corolla/Matrix
Volkswagen Jetta/Golf

I know the list is long but it'll eventually be narrowed down. Some help would be appreciated :p

Last edited:
Miata. :p

LOL, now that would make a good car if it was just for myself. :D

However probably need something with 4/5 seats just due to convenience

*looks at location*

Pick something you won't get attached to. :p

I'll probably look into the Mazda3 as a used car considering there wouldn't be any other financial commitment to it like a new car would have. Of course the option of a new car always comes cross my mind :rollseyes:

But eh, have all my life to figure it out first. Summer just seems like a good time to start looking and thinking, considering school starts in September (Just Graduated from High School, going into Post-Secondary into the most boring field ever). :D

*looks at location*

Pick something you won't get attached to. :p

I see what you did there :p - Shame on those people, they wrecked a 5 Series!

Last edited:
I see what you did there :p - Shame on those people, they wrecked a 5 Series!

It was an M5 too. :(

But seriously, the cars you listed all sound pretty good, I'd say go test drive a bunch and see if any of them really appeal to you. I'd also consider CPO's rather than brand new. I know when I got my Honda Si as a CPO, it came with a better warranty than a new Si. 7yr/100k mile bumper to bumper. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if Honda does things differently in the great white north.

But seriously, the cars you listed all sound pretty good, I'd say go test drive a bunch and see if any of them really appeal to you. I'd also consider CPO's rather than brand new. I know when I got my Honda Si as a CPO, it came with a better warranty than a new Si. 7yr/100k mile bumper to bumper. Of course, I'm not entirely sure if Honda does things differently in the great white north.

For any CPO Hondas, it's a 6 year Powertrain Warranty :(

And a problem that may pose for me for test drives is that i'm 17 (till August anyways) and with my Class 7N (Display N, can drive without supervision, up to 1 passenger unless family or supervisor with Class 5). Though considering that my sister also has her N, she has the advantage of age (25, working) as i'm bringing her along for the test drives since shes going to drive it and contribute funds also. So i'm not totally sure about any of the Dealer Insurance Policies up here but considering lots of people (and i mean lots) don't bother to take the Class 5 road test since they're too lazy to would probably mean i could.

Used or New, probably just depends on the price and how much we can knock off the price when it comes to that factor... and financing should that apply (Mazda and Nissan have 0% Financing offers at the moment)

Last edited:
Does Hyundai do the 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty in Canada? If so, check out the Elantra or Sonata.

They only do 5 year/100,000 KM Bumper-to-Bumper AND Powertrain here. It's sort of sad really considering they do 10 years down there.

And i think the Sonata is at the edge of my price range, and the styling isn't growing on me :)

Last edited:
As Jeremy Clarkson already proved...

post-21233-1105699460.jpg

Best car for a teenager!

:lol: just kidding :lol:

Out of that list, I'd be looking at these:

-1st Gen Mazda 3
-G35 (although the mileage on them can be pretty bad, also look out for brake issues)
-Lexus IS300 (also the SportCross, because it's an actually cool Lexus :p )
-Honda Fit (but they are expensive)

I would add this though:
-Nissan Versa (cheap, but pleasant)

Don't look at the Audis, they will be too much of a pain in the long term (maintenance and part failure) and the rear seats are cramped. The Toyota Matrix is also the Pontiac Vibe, so you could pick up one cheaper if you went Pontiac, but I wouldn't because it's ugly as all get out. Also, the 2ZZ engine deserves to be a paired with the manual. And don't bother with VW products for the same reason as the Audis.

Seriously though, have a look at 2002-2005 Volvo S60. They are quite reliable, 95% of them are automatics, have about 200hp and thanks to the low pressure turbo you have a lot of torque early in the range so they feel powerful, even though they actually aren't that fast. AWD too if you so require.

They are right around $10k, even less sometimes.

I actually was considering the S60. Seems like a decent car, well equipped and comes used for under $10K. However my co-owner (sister) doesn't like the look of it :? But i'll take a look at it regardless.

I would add this though:
-Nissan Versa (cheap, but pleasant)

My cousin has one, i don't really appreciate the exterior (can i say last gen Megane? :|) and interior (its all square <_<). And i guess with anything Nissan, i rather have an Automatic with gears rather than an infinite gear at the cost of gas mileage. Its just the sound the engine makes that bugs me due to it holding the gear.

Any insight or additions i should make on the new cars on the list?

Nissan Maxima if you can find one, though they require premium fuel if you're wary of that. The older ones came with a normal automatic rather than a CVT.

And a problem that may pose for me for test drives is that i'm 17 (till August anyways) and with my Class 7N (Display N, can drive without supervision, up to 1 passenger unless family or supervisor with Class 5). Though considering that my sister also has her N, she has the advantage of age (25, working) as i'm bringing her along for the test drives since shes going to drive it and contribute funds also. So i'm not totally sure about any of the Dealer Insurance Policies up here but considering lots of people (and i mean lots) don't bother to take the Class 5 road test since they're too lazy to would probably mean i could.

Take a parent with you, dress nicely (ie, don't look like a slob) and they'll pretty much let you test drive whatever you want. I just test drove a 5.0l 6spd mustang yesterday.

Take a parent with you, dress nicely (ie, don't look like a slob) and they'll pretty much let you test drive whatever you want. I just test drove a 5.0l 6spd mustang yesterday.

^ This x1000. I did the same thing when i went to test drive a MINI. They let me take both the base and the S coopers out by myself. I'm not even 21 yet too.

with a slushbox? AVOID

I'm with Blayde on this one. Frankly I'd avoid any of the sub-compact market if you absolutely have to get an auto. They will all be very unrewarding to drive.

Or you could always teach your sister how to drive stick!

from what Bubs360 has said of the manual versa it is good, I've had a rental one and drove another of the previous gen a while ago, both in auto, after 80 km/h it just gets louder, not faster...